Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Stella's Journey

Thanks
    I can def see the improvement you've made over the last few posts. That last portrait was awesome. My only crit is the eyebrows are maybe a bit too hard but other than that the image is very intriguing.

The only other thing I can say is be confident in the lines you make.
    There are times when you use 3 or 4 lines where one would suffice
    (I do this too, everyone does at some stage or another)
    Don't worry about mistakes and just go for it.
    Good luck with your portfolio for the art studio btw.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi Lux,

Looking through your sketchbook there's some pretty clear improvement going on. Your faces are looking a lot better, and some of your studies look very real/tangible.

Something is lost in the painted version of the soldier with the gas mask -- I'd recommend taking another shot at it. Specifically, you are losing a lot of the silhouette of the individual parts of the outfit, and have also lost the contrast between the light and dark parts as well.

You should also be differentiating between the different types of materials. Everything is currently being painted as if it were made of the same stuff. Reference is key here:
    - Polished black leather had a fairly sharp, bright highlight but otherwise should be fairly dark even when lit. Dusty boots will be less reflective.
    - The highlight on the rubber on a gas mask is typically somewhat blurry, though sometimes still sharp enough to get bright highlights. It won't usually be nearly as sharp as polished leather. Also less reflective if dusty.
    - The cloth shouldn't be nearly as reflective as the boots and gas mask are. It also shouldn't have any highlight in most cases.

Additionally, the painting doesn't seem to have a consistent light direction:
    - On the legs the light is coming from the lower right of the image
    - On the head light is coming from the "camera"
    - On the left arm the light is coming from the upper right of the image
    - On the chest, the light is coming directly from the right of the image
    ~ ~ { My sketchbooK } ~ ~
    Santa Barbara Drawing Group, On Meetup.

Thanks
    Nice to hear you'll be joining an art studio Good luck with that!

Sketch: Don't hide the hand of the right girl - it looks like you try to
    avoid painting it, I think it should be visible if her arm is hanging down normally...
    The heads are a bit tall I think, about 6 heads... I'd make them slightly smaller.
    I'm looking forward to the colored version

Thanks
    Thanks for dropping by my SB, forgot to reply asap.
    Very interesting shading going on in post #73, I'd like to see that worked on a larger character. I think generally you use a wide range of values in your grayscale work which is good. I think your anatomical study in post #61 shows a good direction, you can express form and light with only a select few values used correctly in a limited area, the darker values should go to places where light has a hard time getting into, and vice versa. You can also play with contrast like this.
    Maybe do some grayscale studies from photos and if you haven't already, check this out. Linran's Light and Colour Tutorial.
    I learned the hard way though that photos have a very limited range of values in themselves as they can't express an environment like how the human eye can perceive it, so taking some liberties and giving grayscale work that wider set of values will go a long way and make the work pop.

I hope this helps, keep it up.

Thanks
    Hello dear fellow artists,
    i have been absent for a time because i was moving, sadly had less time to draw and no internet.

so, i first want to thank you all many times for your comments,
    I really read every comment carefully and think about it.

thank you guys!! it means a lot to me.

i just have to post two works yet.

Attachment 1487755

Attachment 1487756

Well since i was quite proud of the last one i posted it on facebook.
    actually someone posted i should look at humans and train perspective. i was fine with that.
    after that she asked if i was using a ref, no, i actually didnt use one.
    i answered somewhere i wanted to become a game artist or illustrator and she answered she doesn't want to insult me but do i really believe that this is going to work?
    I was asking if my work is THAT bad and she was like "well there's much room for improvement."
    if you read my thread you know i'm open to crits and happy to receive them but for real, she could have written as well that this work is the greatest shit and i should stop believing i could ever become an artist.thats some bitter pill to swallow, it really is...

Rant time is over. i know i might be sensitive but everybody would be sad about such comments,im sure.

Thanks
    Don't let stupid random comments from random people drag you down. Yes, using reference and studying is important,
    but so is drawing from memory, to apply the learnt stuff, and to find out areas you want to improve next. Also, there
    ALWAYS is room for improvement, even the "pro" artists are still working hard on their skills! Maybe she was frustrated
    herself, for whatever reason, and you happened to be the unlucky one to get in her way at the wrong time.
    As for critique, I think the eyes might be a bit small, in comparison to the face itself, and the other features.
    The lips on the other hand are absolutely stunning, I like them a lot! I also envy your ability to choose skin tones,
    not an easy task (at least for me). The hair could be a bit more lose (more flowing strands, not so defined shapes),
    unless he coifed it this way intentionally. (Sorry for always criticizing your hair!)

Heads up Stella, you're on the right track

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyraina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your current skill is not determinant of your future skill.
    Look at the sketchbooks of these guys and tell me if by their first posts you could predict how good they would become:

SamC

Miles

Jason

Just like them, you can become a better artist and reach professional level. It doesn't matter your skill right now.

It's true that you do need to work on learning anatomy and perspective. Perspective, especially, as it's the foundation of everything else, including drawing heads well.

Sucessful Drawing page 28

Skull in perspective

Nose Perspective

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lyraina, thanks for the kind words! I noticed that is' very important to draw things from your mind after studying references because you have to understand what you just learned instead of just copying what you see. Glad you liked the lips and skin tones, I find skin tones also quite tricky.
    But eyes - they're my weakest point, next to hair!

Leonor, that's right, although some of those kickass pros seem to have extreme skill from the beginning. Anyhow i must say that Miles and Sam are both very young, like 18 and 19 and already on such a level D:
    So of course they weren't pro being 14 but they actually started at these ages with drawing seriously.
    Thank you for the useful links! ♥
    I'm happy everytime I get recommended some good tutorials!

So, new illustration stuff. Maybe I should practice some noses and skulls but...I have so many Ideas :|

Name:  Red Capelet.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  273.3 KB

Attachment 1494931

Thanks
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Lux_Aeterna View Post
    Leonor, that's right, although some of those kickass pros seem to have extreme skill from the beginning. Anyhow i must say that Miles and Sam are both very young, like 18 and 19 and already on such a level D:
    If you work as hard as they did, in 4 years you'll be as good at them now. It really doesn't matter when you start. It only matters you put the same amount of work.

If you don't see as many older people starting out, it's because they are busy with life already. They have to work and they might have children and maybe even ageing parents to worry about. They also might wrongly believe they are too old to learn and become discouraged.

So, new illustration stuff. Maybe I should practice some noses and skulls but...I have so many Ideas :|
    Practicing will pay off in the end as your work will improve. If you find studies boring, maybe it helps if you study as the problems come up in your art?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Leonor, even though I'm pretty discouraged sometimes, I never give up on believing that I can be really good one day. that's why I try to work really hard.
    Even though I might not have so much time anymore in my life than I had the past two years.
    The annoying thing is that I just can't get rid of some mistakes..

Attachment 1502307

The eyes. The eye which is shortened by perspective always looks off and also it's too high >_<
    I have no idea if the shoulders are okay here. In fact I think eyes are very difficult to draw.

Thanks
    I was studying a workshop by enayla recently. I guess I will keep learning about skin tones...

Attachment 1504296

Thanks
    There's definitely some improvement from the start to where you are now; try not to feel discouraged -- all artists feel like this from time to time. (We're our own worst critics. Always.) It just takes time and determination. You will get there, just stick with it!

If you're looking for a good motivator, try joining a sketch group on here. It's really helped me in having people who are working together, motivating each other, being extra sets of eyes, etc. I mean, you do have to have a certain amount of self-motivation to succeed, but sometimes just having people behind you can really boot your ass into gear, you know?

(P.S. - You get awesome points for having Saavik on your first page, and then a Romulan on this page. And I totally get deducted cool points for knowing who/what they are. XD)

Keep up the good work! ^_^

Thanks
    hello you guys,
    i have missed to upload for 3 months! :c
    i'm sorry.
    I won't upload all that i drew, that would be way too much, but some recent studies.

Name:  values copy.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  175.5 KB

Name:  more values copy.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  194.8 KB

Name:  noch ne übung copy.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  188.9 KB

Name:  oh ladida.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  162.8 KB