Sketchbook: Stella's Journey - Page 3

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    I wanted to do so much more! But everytime i start on a new practice, something turns out that looks like it's the first time I do digital art...wtf?

i feel like i'm not practicing enough but i already do a lot...

screenshot poop
    Name:  lotr_1.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  308.5 KB

this one is horrid..
    no idea what i did here, i can do better
    Name:  cs6.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  115.2 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Nice stuff, I really like the vivid colours you're getting on some of those colour studies. I think a lot of them could be helped simply by stepping back and double checking your proportions/feature alignments and the like occasionally. You have a few overlarge heads, some overly long noses, and the like.

A quick crit on that latest figure - I'm assuming it's from imagination (correct me if I'm wrong!) and so with that said, part of the issue you're having is just with the basic pose. You've got a lot of horizontals that in some places make it stiff and in other places (the legs, mainly) actually create wonky perspective issues. The spine is much too straight - the curve of the back and, to some degree, the shading, shows the way it's indented, but you've drawn straight line from neck to waist. Also, get some rhythm into those limbs. You've got a bit of definition on the shoulder and elbow on the lowered arm, but the raised one is super straight. (If you've never seen it, this blog has some great stuff on nice flowing gestures.)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi lux! Great color studies you have, i cant give you any advices, u know.. Just go on and thanks for stopping by.

"I wanted to do so much more! But everytime..."
    Same goes for me these day, but in my opinion it's work/stress etc and it all leads to bad concentration.. watch this, make a 2l of green tea, look at this:

and try it again.

SKETCHBOOK or MICHALMACKO.COM
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    You and only you, with your own sincere self-discipline, and effort, can make yourself an artist.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to eclip-se For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Revidescent, thank you so much for you helpful crit! Yup, that figure has been drawn from imagination. thanks a lot for the link, too. i'm going to study that blog like a boss!
    strange how i can see some obvious mistakes just after they've been pointed out. like the one with the spine, i know see what I did here- such an obvious mistake. :p

eclip-se, thank you a lot! i know this vid, its insanely cute *-*
    mean cat is mean in the gif. xD but looking really funny while jumping..lol

so for now, some more value studies. i'm very slowly, thats why i don't have much to show you anyways.

Name:  value1.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  96.9 KB
    Name:  value2.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  96.1 KB
    Name:  value3.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  147.1 KB

And sketch i'm currently about to colour, inspired by min yum (bumskee)

Name:  sketch_value4.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  115.4 KB

BTW yay, page 3

Thanks
    Hi,

you got better in compare to your first page ^^
    Your last post got cool faces, just I feel like the highlight is a bit bright. It gives everything a metallic look. Well, maybe that's intended xD
    Btw: why does every artist have a fancy handwriting but me?

Oh and above you mentioned that you allways feel like you are doing art the first time, I think that's normal. If you don't feel this, you should seriously think about it. I think you only improve if you have difficulties to solve while painting. That's really annoying, because you will never be able to just draw something with ease and like it - unless you are a really self-regarding person xD

also, for me this is page 4 allready I should stop confusing people with my false page numbers xD I think I did something wrong in the settings ^^

Have a nice day and keep going!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Prototypt' For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Prototypt', thank you! i hopefully got better, a half year passed since i started this sb. ;D
    I have tried to paint not too big areas of highlights in the face; i looked at algenpfleger's studies and hoped to learn something. Sadly it seems like i failed, maybe i made these dots too bright. D: Thanks for telling me.

and, yea, i know, frustration is a part of learning, especially in the subject of art when you have to teach yourself..like most artists do. thanks, your words cheer me up :3 i had the same problem today but i got over it.
    Oh, and i find my handwriting pretty chaotic. T_T Other girls have so beautiful handwritings, i don't.

Well, after all that text I only have some lousy sketch to post. I'm going to move into another flat soon, so I won't have much time and no internet for a few days D:

Name:  sketch_wastelandhunter.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  186.3 KB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lux_Aeterna For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You have some good stuff. You're quite good with value blending, but you seem to be having some trouble with color. The ones in color have very obvious and linear strokes that don't curve to the body, making those images look flat. Although your anatomy is getting better, your figures are very stiff. Try doing some gesture drawings to loosen up the figures, preferably some from life. If you can, join a figure drawing group as well if there's one in your area.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to otherscape For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi, that last one looks quite good.
    The perspective seems right, he balance isnt off and the equippment is fine as well.
    If you want you can try and cast some shadows or the same figure in other poses.

Thanks
    Hi there, nice sketchbook, improving throughout even though it's still thin
    My only suggestion would be drawing drawing drawing, making sure all the forms are correct and read 3d, In my opinion, there is no compromise for correct drawing

keep it up

Thanks
    otherscape, thanks. thats the reason why i do many colour studies atm. :< The best anatomies doesn't look fine when you have a shitty colouring. Meanwhile I have seen some amazingly coloured works with slight anatomy issues which weren't that bad anyways.
    I plan to join a lifedrawing course, but i need to put some money aside for that.

shockowaffel
    , thanks. ;DI'm afraid the coloured version somehow make it look odd in perspektive and proportions, anyway. :/
    I tried to shade properly but its still hard for me.

xyphid, thanks. Well, compared to January '11 I have quite improved but i showed so less of my artistic journey in my SB. Q_Q But sad that I have seemed to slow down. kinda discouraging i have to admit. :p
    I draw whenever I find time, I really gave up on some things i like for the art. I hope it gonna pays off.

For today I have these two drawings. :/ Busy times for me, I'm preparing my moving-out.

I don't like both too much, I think the "wasteland hunter" somehow got screwed Idk, it doesnt look like i wanted. i can do better, i know it

Name:  value4.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  142.1 KB
    Bumskee inspired..omg ._.

Name:  wasteland hunter.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  377.1 KB

Last edited by Lux_Aeterna; April 19th, 2012 at 02:36 PM.

Thanks
    Badass nickname
    anywayz, dude in the gas mask really caught my eye, I think you were going in a very good direction there.
    I think you could have pushed the drawing and the design more before going into values, I'm no expert but I made a quick paint over to show what I mean, it's faster than words... (I hope you don't mind and that it helps)

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/134...landhunter.jpg

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GaussianRaider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lux_Aeterna View Post
    this is a colourstudy inspired by algenpfleger...and i feel really ashamed for this! :/ however, frustration is part of the progress...
    Be kind to yourself, yet rigorous in your work. There's no shame in making mistakes. There's no reason to feel bad, ever! It's part of the process of learning to make mistakes. All learning is about finding mistakes and correcting them, so be positive about finding them. Learning how to draw and paint (or anything else) is not about reaching perfection and only getting praise. It's to seeking criticism in order to continuously improve (and by criticism I mean the error finding kind of criticism that help you solve your drawing problems, not discouraging insults).

Find what mistakes you are making, why you are making them and what you need to learn to correct them.

Here's a few tips to help you: the structure of your heads is a bit wonky. Work on understanding that well. In the first head of post #59 what pops out to me at first is the ear being off place. If you Google "ear jaw drawing" you'll find images that help.

In the second, the eyes are not level. The head's left eye is further down and further in than the other. It's also tilting inwards. Loomis is good help for this: http://kathyoconnellsart.files.wordp...oomis_eyes.jpg

This seems this very helpful for head construction and simple to follow: www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLS3fki6oM

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    GaussianRaider, thank you a lot. well, i think i got what you mean! Your overpainting seems to have more movement..it seems more interesting to the viewer's eye. mine is kinda stiff next to it. in fact, for me it feels like that. Thanks for the advice!

Leonor
    , thank you for your kind words! v.v
    I have some difficulties in drawing certain faces from photos instead from imagination. i have whitnessed that portraits from photos look even worse than any other portraits. :s
    Thank you for your advices, I am going to check all the links in your post!

So, for today I have only this one..because it took me some time to finish D:
    I love the smudge tool, really. i may not use it too much, anyways. And I try to get used to the lasso...kinda difficult.

Name:  zombie guy.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  255.5 KB

Thanks
    That last portrait is really badass! Scary!
    The eyebrows look a bit hard though, and the hair too soft (I think you tried to achieve
    an out of focus effect?)
    Other than that, I like your combination of hard and soft edges.

Keep going, and don't be too hard on yourself. You have come a long way!

Thanks
    Nice! This new one is comin freakin badass! keep on pushin' it! Just check the distance between the eyes (should be around one eye, check the vertical allignment with the lips corners!) and the lenght of the ears (should lign up horizontally with the eyes); I think a texture brush on the hoodie could work really well to show the difference from the skin! hope this helps and good job

Thanks
    Hello,
    Looking through your sketchbook, I can see marked improvement, you have a knack for skin colours, something I can never get right.

I completely understand what you've said about the "doing a lot, but feeling like you are doing nothing" I get that all the time, but I can see from looking through your sketchbook that you are improving in every area you practice, your proportions are much better, your values have improved, everything! Keep it up and just do what you can

DeviantART // My Sketchbook
    If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

Thanks
    Lyarina, thank you very much!
    yep, i tried to add more depth to the portrait by making the edges softer. like on a photograph.

GaussianRaider, thanks a lot! i think the distance between the eyes is too big but its really hard to change afterwards. D:
    I will take care of that next time.

Jaik, thank you a lot. Glad you see some improvement in my works, very motivating!

Ok, I'm going for a place as a trainee in an art studio, so that is why I am trying to make up some illustrations for my portfolio. i need like 10 works, so that's why I'm concentraiting on some complete images and less on studies. it's necessary. D:
    so i've just a sketch~

Name:  team sketch.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  245.3 KB

Thanks
    oh, I thought I subscribed this :o To bad, now I missed some posts.

However, your portrait, it looks really awesome to me The only thing that bothers me are her eyebrows that are just straigt lines Apart from that, nice shading, nice texture!!

Yeah, I think you tend to make the highlight just to bright. that's maybe what makes me think at that point the skin reflects the light like a mirror. If it was darker with some colour tones it would propably be more realistic look at your hands in light, are there any white spots? unless you look from a really unusual position there are hopefully not

the last sketch looks good!! and I really love the design of the clothes!!

have a nice day! keep me interested!! ;D

Thanks
    I can def see the improvement you've made over the last few posts. That last portrait was awesome. My only crit is the eyebrows are maybe a bit too hard but other than that the image is very intriguing.

The only other thing I can say is be confident in the lines you make.
    There are times when you use 3 or 4 lines where one would suffice
    (I do this too, everyone does at some stage or another)
    Don't worry about mistakes and just go for it.
    Good luck with your portfolio for the art studio btw.

Thanks
    Hi Lux,

Looking through your sketchbook there's some pretty clear improvement going on. Your faces are looking a lot better, and some of your studies look very real/tangible.

Something is lost in the painted version of the soldier with the gas mask -- I'd recommend taking another shot at it. Specifically, you are losing a lot of the silhouette of the individual parts of the outfit, and have also lost the contrast between the light and dark parts as well.

You should also be differentiating between the different types of materials. Everything is currently being painted as if it were made of the same stuff. Reference is key here:
    - Polished black leather had a fairly sharp, bright highlight but otherwise should be fairly dark even when lit. Dusty boots will be less reflective.
    - The highlight on the rubber on a gas mask is typically somewhat blurry, though sometimes still sharp enough to get bright highlights. It won't usually be nearly as sharp as polished leather. Also less reflective if dusty.
    - The cloth shouldn't be nearly as reflective as the boots and gas mask are. It also shouldn't have any highlight in most cases.

Additionally, the painting doesn't seem to have a consistent light direction:
    - On the legs the light is coming from the lower right of the image
    - On the head light is coming from the "camera"
    - On the left arm the light is coming from the upper right of the image
    - On the chest, the light is coming directly from the right of the image

~ ~ { My sketchbooK } ~ ~
    Santa Barbara Drawing Group, On Meetup.

Thanks
    Nice to hear you'll be joining an art studio Good luck with that!

Sketch: Don't hide the hand of the right girl - it looks like you try to
    avoid painting it, I think it should be visible if her arm is hanging down normally...
    The heads are a bit tall I think, about 6 heads... I'd make them slightly smaller.
    I'm looking forward to the colored version

Thanks
    Thanks for dropping by my SB, forgot to reply asap.
    Very interesting shading going on in post #73, I'd like to see that worked on a larger character. I think generally you use a wide range of values in your grayscale work which is good. I think your anatomical study in post #61 shows a good direction, you can express form and light with only a select few values used correctly in a limited area, the darker values should go to places where light has a hard time getting into, and vice versa. You can also play with contrast like this.
    Maybe do some grayscale studies from photos and if you haven't already, check this out. Linran's Light and Colour Tutorial.
    I learned the hard way though that photos have a very limited range of values in themselves as they can't express an environment like how the human eye can perceive it, so taking some liberties and giving grayscale work that wider set of values will go a long way and make the work pop.

I hope this helps, keep it up.

Thanks
    Hello dear fellow artists,
    i have been absent for a time because i was moving, sadly had less time to draw and no internet.

so, i first want to thank you all many times for your comments,
    I really read every comment carefully and think about it.

thank you guys!! it means a lot to me.

i just have to post two works yet.

Name:  storm front.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  290.1 KB

Name:  equality.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  248.0 KB

Well since i was quite proud of the last one i posted it on facebook.
    actually someone posted i should look at humans and train perspective. i was fine with that.
    after that she asked if i was using a ref, no, i actually didnt use one.
    i answered somewhere i wanted to become a game artist or illustrator and she answered she doesn't want to insult me but do i really believe that this is going to work?
    I was asking if my work is THAT bad and she was like "well there's much room for improvement."
    if you read my thread you know i'm open to crits and happy to receive them but for real, she could have written as well that this work is the greatest shit and i should stop believing i could ever become an artist.thats some bitter pill to swallow, it really is...

Rant time is over. i know i might be sensitive but everybody would be sad about such comments,im sure.

Thanks
    Don't let stupid random comments from random people drag you down. Yes, using reference and studying is important,
    but so is drawing from memory, to apply the learnt stuff, and to find out areas you want to improve next. Also, there
    ALWAYS is room for improvement, even the "pro" artists are still working hard on their skills! Maybe she was frustrated
    herself, for whatever reason, and you happened to be the unlucky one to get in her way at the wrong time.
    As for critique, I think the eyes might be a bit small, in comparison to the face itself, and the other features.
    The lips on the other hand are absolutely stunning, I like them a lot! I also envy your ability to choose skin tones,
    not an easy task (at least for me). The hair could be a bit more lose (more flowing strands, not so defined shapes),
    unless he coifed it this way intentionally. (Sorry for always criticizing your hair!)

Heads up Stella, you're on the right track

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyraina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your current skill is not determinant of your future skill.
    Look at the sketchbooks of these guys and tell me if by their first posts you could predict how good they would become:

SamC

Miles

Jason

Just like them, you can become a better artist and reach professional level. It doesn't matter your skill right now.

It's true that you do need to work on learning anatomy and perspective. Perspective, especially, as it's the foundation of everything else, including drawing heads well.

Sucessful Drawing page 28

Skull in perspective

Nose Perspective

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lyraina, thanks for the kind words! I noticed that is' very important to draw things from your mind after studying references because you have to understand what you just learned instead of just copying what you see. Glad you liked the lips and skin tones, I find skin tones also quite tricky.
    But eyes - they're my weakest point, next to hair!

Leonor, that's right, although some of those kickass pros seem to have extreme skill from the beginning. Anyhow i must say that Miles and Sam are both very young, like 18 and 19 and already on such a level D:
    So of course they weren't pro being 14 but they actually started at these ages with drawing seriously.
    Thank you for the useful links! ♥
    I'm happy everytime I get recommended some good tutorials!

So, new illustration stuff. Maybe I should practice some noses and skulls but...I have so many Ideas :|

Name:  Red Capelet.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  273.3 KB

Name:  come at me.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  282.6 KB

Thanks
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Lux_Aeterna View Post
    Leonor, that's right, although some of those kickass pros seem to have extreme skill from the beginning. Anyhow i must say that Miles and Sam are both very young, like 18 and 19 and already on such a level D:
    If you work as hard as they did, in 4 years you'll be as good at them now. It really doesn't matter when you start. It only matters you put the same amount of work.

If you don't see as many older people starting out, it's because they are busy with life already. They have to work and they might have children and maybe even ageing parents to worry about. They also might wrongly believe they are too old to learn and become discouraged.

So, new illustration stuff. Maybe I should practice some noses and skulls but...I have so many Ideas :|
    Practicing will pay off in the end as your work will improve. If you find studies boring, maybe it helps if you study as the problems come up in your art?

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Leonor, even though I'm pretty discouraged sometimes, I never give up on believing that I can be really good one day. that's why I try to work really hard.
    Even though I might not have so much time anymore in my life than I had the past two years.
    The annoying thing is that I just can't get rid of some mistakes..

Name:  the widow.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  220.6 KB

The eyes. The eye which is shortened by perspective always looks off and also it's too high >_<
    I have no idea if the shoulders are okay here. In fact I think eyes are very difficult to draw.

Thanks
    I was studying a workshop by enayla recently. I guess I will keep learning about skin tones...

Name:  die begegnung.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  240.0 KB

Thanks
    There's definitely some improvement from the start to where you are now; try not to feel discouraged -- all artists feel like this from time to time. (We're our own worst critics. Always.) It just takes time and determination. You will get there, just stick with it!

If you're looking for a good motivator, try joining a sketch group on here. It's really helped me in having people who are working together, motivating each other, being extra sets of eyes, etc. I mean, you do have to have a certain amount of self-motivation to succeed, but sometimes just having people behind you can really boot your ass into gear, you know?

(P.S. - You get awesome points for having Saavik on your first page, and then a Romulan on this page. And I totally get deducted cool points for knowing who/what they are. XD)

Keep up the good work! ^_^

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2