Wacom + Android (3.1+)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon Wacom + Android (3.1+)

Hello All!

This is my first post on this website so please bear with me.

I am an engineer/artist. I use an intuos 3 along with photoshop or gimp to create illustrations. I also use a lot of traditional art and scanning then digital inking.

What I desire most is an Android tablet that offers "low-temp" 7+ hours of operation, use with an application that uses full-color, layers, pressure-sensitivity, and a Wacom Penabled Digitizer pen. Such a combination does not exist. I called Wacom and they told me they're making no efforts to support Android OS.

So now the disappointed artist in me asks the engineer, "How do I get a solution?"

The answer, "make it myself!"

Combining a Wacom development sensor kit (http://www.wacom-components.com/prod.../developerKits), a 10.1" 3.1+ android tablet (Presumably Moto Xoom2), current Wacom-Android tablet designs (http://www.yankodesign.com/2011/02/2...ltitouch-wacom), and Android Driver development, I would create the ultimate mobile digital sketchbook.

What I'd like feedback on is whether or not this is worth pursuing. So far I think as an Android fan I'm going to be stuck with N-Trig and Lenovo-proprietary styli for quite a while if I don't attempt something myself.

TIA - Bram

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome to the forum..

Loads of DIY vids on youtube that converts wacom intuos tablets into cintiq.. the hassle that you go through, the warranty you void, the guarantee that you don't have, is it all worth it? to me, i wouldn't do it, even if it was a piece of cake DIY.

I do understand that you love your Android tablet, but IMO, keep everything to serve its purpose.

get a portable tablet that does the job.

that's me after all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good feedback!

I am aware of DIY projects for cintiq-type products but what I'm going for is different. It's like saying your Desktop and Laptop are interchangable, they're not.

If you want a non-windows penabled tablet for less than $1000 you're bottlenecked into terrible specs. And then you've got to mess with full windows applications. I, and many others, are eager to get our hands on a simple penabled slate that could replace sketchbooks everywhere.

I found a University in California doing reseach on this exact product, I'll be contacting them ASAP.

- Bram

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by venota View Post
    Hello All!

What I desire most is an Android tablet that offers "low-temp" 7+ hours of operation, use with an application that uses full-color, layers, pressure-sensitivity, and a Wacom Penabled Digitizer pen. Such a combination does not exist. I called Wacom and they told me they're making no efforts to support Android OS.

TIA - Bram

Actually....it does exist. there is a single Wacom Penabled Android Tablet........the Eben E3. Although Wacom is not officially supporting Android, once you purchase a sensor board from them, you could put it in whatever you want.

www.eben.cn/
    http://order.eben.cn/?v=110809&from=my_eben

The drawback is that its Japanese only. And I have been looking, but I've been unable to obtain one.

It uses the 8.4 sensor board, the same one that is in the Motion Computing Ls800.....one thing I'm not sure about though if it has Touch imput. The Wacom dual digitizer for Pen and Touch only exists in the 12.1 ratio. 8.4, 9.7, and 10.4 are pen only.

Its possible they could have just used another company for the touch part. Or the device is pen only.

Now as far as mod-ing one yourself....I don't discourage it, but I think it wouldn't be worth it. Although N-trig does have the partnership with Android, the Droid OS wasn't designed for a pen and is cursor-less. I'm not sure how they manged it with the Eben E3, but for the N-trig tablets....the App has to be designed for the pen otherwise is won't work. You can't even navigate the desktop with the pen, it only works withing specific apps.

I just recommend hitting up Ebay for the Motion Computing Ls800. Cheap off ebay, wacom penabled, can run any art program except photoshop, and with the extended battery is can run for 4-5 hours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmagistric View Post
    Actually....it does exist. there is a single Wacom Penabled Android Tablet........the Eben E3.
    Dark,

I was aware of this product but thanks for letting me know! This device is small and as you said, Japanese only as of now. I think the apps don't support pen because there's only like a half-dozen tablets using pens. I'm not necessarily looking for absolute cheapest. I'm looking to hit a niche market of people holding out for a mobile, effective, Cintiq alternative with the capabilities of Android (Ipad would be ideal but I can't develop for that product).

- Bram

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do it.

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, just do it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lenovo now has a 10 inch tablet that runs android and has pressure sensitivity.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/23864...he_market.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! That's a great new

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangum View Post

The Lenovo is "Pressure-sensitive" yes, but the stylus is not Wacom. Industry is moving in the right direction, just not fast enough for me.

As of now the plan is to get one the Wacom ADK 10.4" screens and daisy-chain it into a Toshiba Thrive's USB interface. I'm working on getting a suitable chassis developed to provide a nice look. I want to integrate the slide-wheel too so I may canibalize an Intuos 4 in the future.

- Bram

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangum View Post

it uses N-trig, not Wacom.

The N-trig digital pencil tech frankly sucks for art use.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    why is that. it says it has 256 levels of pressure. thats the same as motion computings device that everyone loves. i agree that wacom is a better digitizer, but ntrig seems perfectly capable of the same thing. if you had a smudgegaurd glove you could pan around and zoom with your fingers and write with the pen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Kangum

I take it you never used N-trig before. As a proud owner of the Hp Slate 500...the first device to employ the N-trig digital pencil...where as that feature alone was the sole reason for which I purchased it....it ended up being the worst part of it.

More so in the case with Windows, while N-trig claims it has 256 levels of Pressure....its seems to be more like 3-4 levels.

First, for pressure to work in some programs like Photoshop, Sai, or Painter...its pretty much reliant on a little called Wintab. The wacom driver you download for your Intuos, Cintiq, and even Tablet PCs..is essentially a wintab driver.

N-trig offers this driver...but most programs like Sai for instance will not recognize it and not have pressure. Photoshop seems to be the only program that recognizes it. But it does so quite horribly. The pressure is almost impossible to control and its sampling rate is garbage. Trying to draw or paint with it....is more of a masochist endeavor with skipped brush strokes and constant vectoring.

Now programs like Sketchbook Pro derive its pressure by other means so Pressure will work with it. However...its still a crummy experience because of the way the N-trig pens are designed. The tips are bigger then the Wacom Nibs, and in some of the pens, the nibs flex/recoiling is so great that controlling the pressure in a stroke is very eradic, which results in some pretty fugly line-work.

And since the pen is battery powered, they lowered the hovering accuracy. Where as wacom pens react and move to the most minute pen movement, N-trig battery pens, you can move the tip around in little circles without it registering the movement.

Now while photoshop/wintab woes and hovering itself aren't so much an issue on an Android platform since it can't run photoshop or provide hovering accuracy...the issues with the pen itself and just using it overall kind of really make you wish they went with Wacom instead.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to darkmagistric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks your right I had not used NTrig before. well then that sucks. Maybe I wont pick up that thinkpad tablet that lenovo just came out with. Its a waste of money if its garbage. I figured any sort of pen pressure was better then the ipad. but alas it seems like there is always issues regardless. I will just continue with my plan to save up for a 21ux then.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok....looks like Wacom finally caved and is now beggining to support Android.

With the Samsung Galaxy Note

http://www.samsung.com/global/micros...html?type=find

Thats definitly a Wacom Tip on the pen, and its been confirmed that it is Wacom. And unlike N-trigs Pens which can only recognize the pen in the apps, the video demonstrates that the Wacom Pen can be used to navigate the Operating System....and in that little Paint/Art app....We have pressure.

of course the Android OS doesn't have a cursor so there is no luxary of hovering, but it should still be pixal accurate.

I was planning on jumping ship to Iphone5...but the Wacom Pen is enough to keep me sticking with android.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darkmagistric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    since android never had pressure until recently im wondering if there is even any decent art programs that bothered to include pressure sensitivity by default. there is plenty of art programs the question is will they have pressure sensitivity. im assuming the app that samsung comes with is just enough to get you buy, not a real decently made one. so it will be interesting to see what is available.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Android has a few art apps....but beyond Sketchbook Pro...which is only for Android Devices running Honeycomb...most of them kind of suck..especially when compared to the ton of Ipad art apps.

While its kind of slim pickings for awhile.....As more and more android devices start to employ Wacom and N-trig pen options....I would hope that would create a demand for more and better art apps.

I personally would love to see a Android version of the ipad app "Art Studio." For an ipad app....its really capable. Only hampered by the Ipads ram limitations and forced use of fingers or capacitive stylus's.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok....looks like Wacom finally caved and is now beggining to support Android.

With the Samsung Galaxy Note

http://www.samsung.com/global/micros...html?type=find

Thats definitly a Wacom Tip on the pen, and its been confirmed that it is Wacom. And unlike N-trigs Pens which can only recognize the pen in the apps, the video demonstrates that the Wacom Pen can be used to navigate the Operating System....and in that little Paint/Art app....We have pressure.

of course the Android OS doesn't have a cursor so there is no luxary of hovering, but it should still be pixal accurate.

I was planning on jumping ship to Iphone5...but the Wacom Pen is enough to keep me sticking with android.
    Engadget has an estimate of $1K USD for this thing.....no way. I hope they come down on the price, it would be a nice little tool to have for random ideas to scribble out. I remember the days I use to roll around with the small notepad in my back pocket and a stubby pencil so the lead wouldn't easily break off. No Ctrl-S. No Ctr-Z. No crashes. Since I bought my Fujitsu Slate years ago, it's been super convenient, but still to carry a tablet around is a premeditated act because of the size and possibility of damaging it in an inconvenient scenario, not so much a force of habit. We carry our cell phones as a force of habit now because of the size and the ease of including it with keys and a wallet (pocketbook/purse for the ladies). I think a Wacom enabled device of this size would be a sweet spot for creatives, but $1K and probably having to acquire it through a carrier like Verizon is not cool at all. Dam.

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    <---*looks at forum name* Yeah....that would actually be something I would be VERY interested in...so much so that I too have considered just building it myself....even if I have to hack it together. Perhaps if enough people call the HQ asking about support for a 10 incher maybe Wacom will stop making things like the Inkling and start making things that will actually sell well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the samsung galaxy note has a 5.3 inch screen. that is much to small to even use as a spare scratch pad. not even close to worth it. might as well have a wacom enabled ipod nano geeze.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Kangum

I take it you never used N-trig before. As a proud owner of the Hp Slate 500...the first device to employ the N-trig digital pencil...where as that feature alone was the sole reason for which I purchased it....it ended up being the worst part of it.

More so in the case with Windows, while N-trig claims it has 256 levels of Pressure....its seems to be more like 3-4 levels.

First, for pressure to work in some programs like Photoshop, Sai, or Painter...its pretty much reliant on a little called Wintab. The wacom driver you download for your Intuos, Cintiq, and even Tablet PCs..is essentially a wintab driver.

N-trig offers this driver...but most programs like Sai for instance will not recognize it and not have pressure. Photoshop seems to be the only program that recognizes it. But it does so quite horribly. The pressure is almost impossible to control and its sampling rate is garbage. Trying to draw or paint with it....is more of a masochist endeavor with skipped brush strokes and constant vectoring.

Now programs like Sketchbook Pro derive its pressure by other means so Pressure will work with it. However...its still a crummy experience because of the way the N-trig pens are designed. The tips are bigger then the Wacom Nibs, and in some of the pens, the nibs flex/recoiling is so great that controlling the pressure in a stroke is very eradic, which results in some pretty fugly line-work.

And since the pen is battery powered, they lowered the hovering accuracy. Where as wacom pens react and move to the most minute pen movement, N-trig battery pens, you can move the tip around in little circles without it registering the movement.

Now while photoshop/wintab woes and hovering itself aren't so much an issue on an Android platform since it can't run photoshop or provide hovering accuracy...the issues with the pen itself and just using it overall kind of really make you wish they went with Wacom instead.
    Aww man, I wished I read this before I bought the lenovo tablet. Just ordered a few days ago, was eagerly waiting for it to come, but now im a bit worried. Hopefully its not as bad as you say it is. I'll post up a screenshot of the actual levels of pressure sensitivity you get with it once i get it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sounds like exactly what you're looking for. Heck, you might have made this yourself, I don't know.

http://www.fuelyourproductdesign.com...chpad-concept/

25. The Following User Says Thank You to emomobile For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello,
    Thanks for posting my concept, I did that design about a year ago. My motivations for doing the concept were the same as Vinota's, the desire for an ultimate mobile digital sketchbook.

I also thought about making one myself (I am and industrial designer) but the problems with trying to get all the components to talk to each other became too much to take on. I really didn't get past the research phase. Companies spend a ton of money on product development to get these things to work well.

So I decided to just make a concept to get the idea out there. I hoped that people would talk about the concept and maybe a major manufacturer make one some day. Looks like today is that day. Samsung has announced the Note 10.1 at Mobile world Congress, an android tablet with a wacom digitizer and 10.1" screen.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/27/28...n-photos-video

Sure Android may still lack the apps compared to iOS, and the Note 10.1 will probably be overshadowed by the ipad 3, but its a start.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Might be a dumb question but I have a wacom intuos4 & an iPad2.
    Is there some way to use the Wacom with the ipad?

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Ryan Jr View Post
    Might be a dumb question but I have a wacom intuos4 & an iPad2.
    Is there some way to use the Wacom with the ipad?
    No they cannot connect.

1. Uses a USB. Ipad has no USB
    2. Different operating systems. There are no drivers for it even if you had/used bluetooth on an intuos4 wireless.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,629 Times in 416 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Here.

It works with midi keyboards and external hdd's. And BTW, android 4.n does have cursor.

Science is interesting and if you don't agree, you can fuck off! (Richard Dawkins [Beyond Belief{ paraphrasing Alan Anderson, New Scientist}]).
    Mediawiki | Google+

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good idea Slug but simply having a way of connecting the tablet to the iPad won't change the fact that there are no drivers written for it. Without drivers the iPad ....or my Lenovo TPT for that matter, will not recognize the Wacom tablet's XYZ axis inputs...in fact as near as I can tell...it doesn't even recognize that a device is attached. My Intuos 2 indicator light comes on but there is no response on the TPT.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,629 Times in 416 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, I knew. I was just letting you know about the usb part. It would be great with the new wireless kit.

Maybe you should ask wacom or a 3rd developer to build a driver for Ios/Android.

Science is interesting and if you don't agree, you can fuck off! (Richard Dawkins [Beyond Belief{ paraphrasing Alan Anderson, New Scientist}]).
    Mediawiki | Google+

Members who have read this thread: 3