samurai_fighter

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: samurai_fighter

Thanks

samurai_fighter

So I did this in order to improve as a concept artist ..I am practicing .. I am not looking for a traditional samurai, but more like a mixed style... a modern fighter.. I am planning on working the torso/arms area with some sort of body armor. I would like to avoid weapons (he would fight using martial art) but at the same time I would like he belt to have few stuff on it . Right now the one thing that concern me in term of design is his belt...I am not so sure about the items I put on he belt..... So that was my opinion but I am open to any critics of this community. Thanks in advance for your critics.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    I have nothing to crit in the design (except that he makes me think for Shredder) but the lighting and pose make him look like... he's leaning behind a lot. I can't really put my finger as to why exactly he's looking like that to me.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    yes, he is definitely leaning. Next ,I will fix that then will ad more appropriate armor details in the torso and arm and strengthen the gray scale.... with more armor and less muscle he will look less like Shredder or Subzero(from MK deception)

Thanks
    The belt is horizontal towards the viewer, and the torso is seen from below. I think these contribute mostly to the leaning problem.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kauil For This Useful Post:

Thanks

samurai

I put the color aside so I can focus on the design and the grayscale.
    I am changing my mind a little , and going more for a traditionnal look. For the leanning problem I changed the perspective of the belt now seen from above,
    but i try to keep the torso leanning back so he keep the military attitude. But is it still too much?

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by paulboutros; August 25th, 2011 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks
    I might just be me, but I think that the 2nd set of pictures loses the power of the guy, idk what it is about that pose to makes people look really powerful. The pose reminds me of DBZ characters, which is a really good job with the leaning back look. Just thought of it I guess in my mind I link the pose to being "powerful" is because the characters on DBZ were very powerful... lol. anyways, I like the 1st one, not so much the 2nd one.

Also I agree and disagree that he looks like shredder, maybe a different shoulder design would help, cause what do you know shredder has small spikes on his shoulders aswell. Can't wait to see the finished picture.

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Diarum For This Useful Post:

Thanks

space_pilot suit

not sure about the hand behind... should I add an extra belt.. should I try adding a weapon... light saber or gun

PS. Should I create a new thread when I add a new character or keep posting in this thread is fine?

Last edited by paulboutros; February 8th, 2012 at 12:48 PM.

Thanks
    Her abdomen is a a bit short. I don't think there's a rule about putting all your wips in the same place, but I think you'll get more attention if you split it into new threads, or at least, start a new thread once in a while.

He's still leaning, perhaps it would help if you drew out his center of balance (sorry if this isn't quite the right term, I used google translate on that one)?

Thanks
    thanks .. I' ll create a new thread ... You are right about the samurai ..but I stoped working on it .. I think The whole was not a good idea and I preffered to move on....I ll do an other one at some point ... I will think about your anatomy tip(on an other thread)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.