Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    So the same teacher that told me about the bachelors degrees told me something else today. First she taught me to put periods at the end of a sentence. Then she told me something that I thought was really interesting. She said that if anybody who wants to work with multimedia that if they know some programing that it could double a paycheck or even triple. Now abviously knowing how to do more things will get you more money but who here thinks it's worth it?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 850 Posts
    Jmor- I don't know of any professional artists that also professionally code videogames. You need to be disciplined in one or the other. If you'd like to see what happens when people do both just go to Newgrounds and play some flash games. That's probably your teachers idea of the professional market place.

Thanks
    The advantage of a degree is you'll get a lot of opportunity. There are companies that requires a bachelor degree and that is one advantage also. But I do not believe that you'll get high pay jobs if you have a bachelor's degree.

Thanks
    Another thread OP may be interested in

8. Degrees mean jack squat to an artist unless they plan on working overseas (required for the visa) or teaching full time at the university level. No one in my entire career has ever asked if I graduated from college. I didn't...but I did do six successive years in art school. I did not even graduate from high school. Now I own two international art companies which lead in their respective fields. However, my education was valuable. But, one can be educated away from a degree system and end up just fine. Degrees in art are mostly for pleasing your parents.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=102315

This place is a goldmine. All it takes is ability to use the search function. (No degree required for that either btw)

Last edited by Charlie D; August 25th, 2011 at 01:29 AM.
    Learning to see

"...the ideas are what matter most" Doug Chiang

Thanks
    Just wondering which would look more impressive to a possible employer on a resume. A Degree or being voted an ImageFX Rising Star.

Last edited by Charlie D; August 25th, 2011 at 01:46 AM.
    Learning to see

"...the ideas are what matter most" Doug Chiang

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmor123 View Post
    So the same teacher that told me about the bachelors degrees told me something else today. First she taught me to put periods at the end of a sentence. Then she told me something that I thought was really interesting. She said that if anybody who wants to work with multimedia that if they know some programing that it could double a paycheck or even triple. Now abviously knowing how to do more things will get you more money but who here thinks it's worth it?
    If you have to ask about whether it'll be worth it, you don't have the initiative to be a programmer. It's one of those things where you will always have to be upgrading your skills in your free time, so if you're not spending your free time on it right now chances are you never will.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    The OP would be better served spending time drawing, and reading through the existing threads where many of these same questions have been answered ad nauseum..

You know. Like this one: The Reality of Going to Art School and a basic FAQ for those considering it.

Or here: How to be an Artist Without Going to Art School

Or Is going to school worth the time/money?

Or How important is having a degree in art?

Touched upon here....How to pick which candy to go for?

And again here...SELF TAUGHT versus ART SCHOOL (circa 2006!!)

And here...Can you teach yourself illustration or should you go to college for it?

There's more, but I think that's enough to prove my point.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alice Herring For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have to agree with Vineris. There's no way, starting out, that you can split between being an artist AND a programmer. Or at least being a good one in either profession. If you want to be an artist, then there's the hours and hours or drawing/painting/design,etc. If you want to be a programmer/software developer, then there are hours and hours of writing code, designing applications, etc.

Being a developer for the last 25 years (for a lot of small and large corporations, etc), I can definitely tell you that the good developers are the same as the really good artists. They work a lot of very very long hours, sometimes don't get any sleep, crash and burn on extremely tight deadlines, etc.

Nothing that I hate worse than having to clean up after a developer who is dabbling in code. You first have to find the bugs/design flaws, correct them or pull them out, AND then write the code correctly. Costs time and, most of the time, you don't have that extra time to get the work done (you've got too many other projects that are on the pile and that also have tight deadlines).

Choose one.

I'm lucky that I've been doing it so long and at a point in my career that I can start working to transition from developer to artist. But, starting out... I worked a lot of really really long days.

Also, remember that programming is like art. If you really like it and want to do well, you'll spend all of your free time learning new languages, design techniques, design methodologies, etc. To do it well, you can't just write a couple of lines here and there and say that you're a programmer. That type of work means a lot of work for people like me who have to come in and maintain the code after you're gone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    As I said before, art school will only pre program you into a consumer that only functions the systems way
    Man, are you from the UK? it sounds like you have real issues with education.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,091 Times in 2,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmor123 View Post
    Again, this is ignorant claptrap. I work in multimedia and games; artists get paid the same as programmers for the same level of work. I know because I had to do the budgets on some of the titles I worked as co-project lead. This person is an f'ing idiot. Why would you take advice from someone too stupid to actually work in the industry? If you're an artist it is better to be well rounded as an artist
    As for the visa thing, again BS. All that is required is an affidavit stating this person is more qualified than other applicants. I wrote a few of them for people we hired from eastern block countries and two from England.

Last edited by dpaint; August 25th, 2011 at 02:09 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Yeah, i understand that you had a bad time of it olivercartwright but you are condemning all teachers with your rhetoric. I'll give you a list of teachers if you'd like that have thought outside any kind of box and have been pioneers in illustration and fine art.

I agree with that there are bad teachers and schools out there but I haven't stopped drinking and recommending coffee because I had a bad one once.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcarman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Having a bachelors degree certainly does give you a much higher chance and advantage over those who don't. I thought it was stupid too once, but I talked to my dad, who works at a pretty big company and hires people, and he basically said this :

The BA doesn't necessarily give you technical skills over someone who doesn't have it. Anyone can be good at anything, regardless of school. It DOES show however, that you are dedicated, and willing to put work into something. It shows that you can work with people, are dependable, and stuck with something to the end.

Ofc, this applies to entry level probably. Once you've a killer portfolio, and worked at notable companies, nobody is going to give a shit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by clarithium View Post
    Having a bachelors degree certainly does give you a much higher chance and advantage over those who don't. I thought it was stupid too once, but I talked to my dad, who works at a pretty big company and hires people, and he basically said this :

The BA doesn't necessarily give you technical skills over someone who doesn't have it. Anyone can be good at anything, regardless of school. It DOES show however, that you are dedicated, and willing to put work into something. It shows that you can work with people, are dependable, and stuck with something to the end.

Ofc, this applies to entry level probably. Once you've a killer portfolio, and worked at notable companies, nobody is going to give a shit.
    A pretty big company? Unless it's artistic, his opinion isn't valid in this case. We are discussing a very specific industry. There are professionals here who have already stated the degree itself does not matter.

Art isn't something that people pick up on a weekend and do. It takes years of study and practice to be able to execute the artwork successfully. Certainly more than the four years school requires. School also in no way guarantees a person is dependable or can work with people; it's a perception that keeps getting perpetuated with no evidence to support it.

I don't see why this is so hard to understand. You want to have the degree anyway? Feel that the structure school has to offer will benefit you? Great! There's nothing wrong with that! But don't apply a significance to it that does not exist.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2