need help finding comic pages for colorist samples
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: need help finding comic pages for colorist samples

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

need help finding comic pages for colorist samples

Hello all,

I'm looking to build my portfolio as far as comic colorist work but I am having trouble finding samples in the form of consecutive pages, which is what publishers prefer to see. I do have my own comic pages, but for the sake of diversifying my portfolio I would like to also color some pages that are not my own.
    Is there a resource out there where inkers are willing to lend their pages to be colored so that I can flesh out my portfolio?

Any help or direction on this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, if you're willing to shell out something like 15 bucks (or less from a second-hand bookstore,) you can grab copies of Marvel Essentials - they're reprints of older Marvel comics, and entirely in black & white. And they're THICK, so you should have no problem finding a sequence that can work.

If you want some more contemporary pages, try looking at some books from Oni Press or a similar publisher - some of the books they print are black and white (I used Scott Pilgrim pages as a coloring portfolio at one point. Just makes sure you don't use any that have tone effects applied, that can be...complicated.)

If you REALLY don't want to put out the money, I think the website Gutterzombie has samples you can download. The PencilJack forums might have something too.

And as always, make sure you're giving proper credit to the original artists on your pages.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are great ideas, thank you! I wasn't sure about going out and just grabbing b&w comics as I am unfamiliar with the etiquette of displaying it in your portfolio. I would always be sure to give proper credit, but I wasn't sure if I would be stepping on any toes by not directly asking first, you know? But if it's acceptable just as long as I give credit then my problem is solved completely. Thanks very much for your suggestions!

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You can always ask the artists on Deviantart (many who actually are comic book artists)

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&se...c+book+samples

You just have to remember they may be busy, but some actually do post up work for others to color. Just see who you're using because you do want to make sure it's pro work and acceptable to use for samples.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Company/Submissions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually thought about deviantart, but had a bit of a hard time finding 4 of 5 consecutive industry standard quality pages. Most comic artists only post small previews at a max of 3 pages because the work is going to be published.

Though looking at your search term, I think I was being way to specific with mine, haha. I'm definitely going to have a look through what you came up with.

Thanks very much for your suggestion!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This isn't the same person, is it?

EDIT: Yep.

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There a quite a few missing images, but enough to be going on here http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17968

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,655 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some discussion about this also here
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=221721

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.