Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Amazing concepts and ideas everyone...

I've always been very hesitant to enter challenges here A: I'm really new to this digital side of art B: And just seeing some of these wips can make me change my mind easily...So I figured this time around what the hell I wanna learn more and the wips help too.

Here's my concept, (hopefully I'll finish it) In 10400bc Orion's Belt was at its lowest procession in the night sky. (closest to the horizon) In this time it is the only time when The Pyramids of the Giza Plateau lines up perfectly with Orion's Belt. Not only do the pyramids line up perfectly so does the Milky way with the Nile River. The event created a mirror reflection of the Night sky. The idea is based on what if Graham Hancock (Fingerprints of the Gods,Underworld) is correct and Man did exist before the melting of the last Ice-Age.
    IOW #3 - Journey's End

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Here's my WIP's so far. I wanted to pull off showing the destination of "journeys end" in the foreground. Allowing the face of the traveler as the focal point of the piece. I hope you get the connection between the two characters. I'll color it up for the final.

Thanks
    My Second wip

IOW #3 - Journey's End

Thanks
    Bergy: The challenge is not about winning something, it's about taking part in the fun and challenge yourself I'm not quite sure about your composition. It looks a little uniform and empty. Everything seems to rise in size and height from left to right, try to vary that a little to make it look a little more interesting. Also: Where is your main point of interesest? Try to guide the viewers eye toward that point.

Andrew: That's a pretty interesting story! I'm curious how you'll add color to this.

Disa: That's really pretty and cute, I like the style a lot

hunchback: Her face is soo pretty!

So, I haven't given up on my piece, just done lots of boring rendering. Still have to add some more light and work on edges, shadows, textures and more details...

Attachment 1312026

And update.... Still not quite satisfied with the light...

Attachment 1313929

Hm... I think I'm done oO

Attachment 1315106
    Last edited by Nele Klumpe; September 3rd, 2011 at 05:34 PM.
    “Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy”

My Sketchbook DeviantArt

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nele Klumpe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks AvisNocturna! Yours is coming along great, I really like how their faces look like they've lived hard lives, it adds a lot to the story.

AndrewRitchie: hah, that is a great concept! heart wrenching ... and damn stylin' too!

I'm pretty much finished, don't have a lot more time to spend on it anyway ... but I wanted to throw it up here for the chance of maybe getting a critique, it's definitely still adjustable.

Attachment 1312033

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Disa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Progress... stayed up all night again, that's the only way I get any drawing done these days. So tired now I can't think straight but gotta go get ready for work! Lot's of great stuff- wish I had time for comments!

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreoilin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Disa as much as I love your image, it seems to say 'beginning of journey' to me more than 'end of journey'. Perhaps if there was something in the landscape, a building or castle or something that the characters could have been working towards reaching?

Thanks
    Aha, what a good topic. I have just the idea in mind, I'll upload it within 3 hours.
    Love means never having to say "you're a special snowflake."

Take a look at my sketchbook
    And my blog

Thanks
    thanks danlambert, you're totally right! originally I was thinking of having someone standing at the end of a cliff, maybe thinking about jumping - but the image changed while I was drawing it and now that idea doesn't really apply anymore ... I put in a cottage instead so now they're going "home".

tweaked the colours too to achieve more aerial perspective ...

Attachment 1312220

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Disa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    its maybe a bit late but meh, I don't have anything else to do anyway

also: @Disa you got a lovely style there dear, really like it
    @AndrewRitchie kinda reminds me of the twin paradox (its on wikipedia for those who don't know what I'm talking about) and I'm pretty sure someone made a short story about that as well (maybe Bradbury, not sure though) am I right?

on my idea, well its actually related to this lovely picture
    IOW #3 - Journey's End

its by Daniel Lieske and roaming the Internet for quite some time
    I was always wondering, what will the boy experience on his adventure and my entry will be about how his journey will finally end
    Last edited by sevira; August 31st, 2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Update

Thanks
    After waaay more than 3 hours...

The entry is based off the Bible verse "“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

I was debating whether to show the end of the people on the narrow road. The 1st two are WIPs for the broad road and the 3rd is the end of the journey on the narrow road. I think the end-of-the-broad-road composition is more interesting and descriptive.
    Love means never having to say "you're a special snowflake."

Take a look at my sketchbook
    And my blog

Thanks
    NicoleWG - Aah things like that make me want to read the Bible =) I agree the first two work better, but the sense of scale isn't quite there yet, I think that's because the perspective doesn't match up.
    sevira - Looks great, though I don't think his legs match up that well with the seat of the throne. I liked his hand the other way around better, in your earlier sketches. Ohter than that, looks really nice =)
    Disa - I'd personally try to make the colours more vibrant. The air takes up so much space but it's pretty flat compared to the rest of the image.
    Dreoilin - Cool stuff! I'd personally make his face express something more like "OMG I'm being dragged down to my death!" instead of the pretty boy stare. Other than that, awesome detail and linework =)
    AvisNocturna - Wow! I personally think he needs more of a rimlight around him but the rest looks awesome!
    Bergy68 - You might want to add some sand dunes to the desert to make the composition and image as a whole more interesting.

Ok I really have to go now, so I'll upload my WIPs and finish commenting later tonight xD Good luck to all of you!

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rengin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Okay, better late than never, here's the first rough sketch.
    Pretty happy with how the standing dude is looking but I'll need to get some ref for the guy on the ground for the final image, that face is very bad.

Thanks
    Awesome!! this is the activity ive been waiting for!

congrats Dreoilin!

AvisNocturna: the materials are looking excellent, esp on the helmet

jagder:
    is the "Walkin Dude" gonna hit a few golf balls off the edge? it looks like a golf bag standing next to him

Disa: awesome, has a sort of "Adventure Time" feel which is awesome, i liked the characters in the clouds as well it added a dreamy sense to the picture, maybe you could have the girl opening the cloud on the right like curtains, just my 2 cents

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SGoodson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    another update
    as I totally failed at the fabric of his pullover I just changed it to something with less texture (I mean the boy got older anyway and the old pullover didn't fit anymore!)

@Rengin
    yeah the legs were indeed wrong, so was the left arm which is why I changed that as well

on the right arm, well, I was actually standing in the bathroom testing it with a pot on my head (when all of a sudden my roommates girlfriend came in, looked at me, burst in laughter and left...) and found it really intuitive and comfortable to hold it up with my thumb
    Last edited by sevira; September 2nd, 2011 at 04:50 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to sevira For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast