Seda Stormhoof

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Seda Stormhoof

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Seda Stormhoof

Okay ladies and gents. I know it's been ages since I've posted, and most people won't even remember I ever existed. I think this is the first non-icon, non-portrait, non-paintover I've posted, and thus saying, I'm both nervous and eager to get feedback.

The concept here is part of a series of characters for a project that's been in development since 2006, that we're busy making a big push for. Each character in the series has their own specific totem animal and the ability to transform into both that animal and a hybrid form between the two. This one is (you guessed it) the horse totem character.

I'm about midway through it, but I figured I would get people's thoughts on structure and anatomy before I really dig into details and specularity.

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wallace View Post
    This one is (you guessed it) the horse totem character.
    Actually it took me half a minute to realize that's not a badly drawn female Tauren from World of Warcraft. Not fully your fault though, the Stormhoofs is also a clan name in WoW.

Though, its not helped by the horse having a cow-ish dark nose: http://www.123rf.com/photo_1079997_s...suspicion.html
    Anyway, I can't say much of the anatomy, though the pose looks pretty awkward, especially having the other leg completely from profile.
    But couple other things look odd, like I have a hard time seeing how the right side hand connects to the arm. The wrist part looks way too long and thin and it's impossible to say if that fur is from the character, or the wrist guards. Overall the tail and mane look pretty badly rendered too, they don't look like hair (you only realize they're hair because they're stuck to a horse) and they look like you just did them with liquify and smudge.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also though this was a badly rendered tauren, which is mainly because of the anatomy of the head and the "eyebrows". Horses have a straight nasal bone that continues all the way to the cranium, and the eyes are placed on each side of it.

To make it look more like a horse, I'd get rid of the stop you've drawn on the forehead. Horses don't have that, so even if you did draw the "angry eyebrows", the space between them would still be straight.
    Name:  2122859154_e5ef22b1d9.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  170.5 KB

Get a ref for the ears, too!

The other thing is the hooves. I can barely identify them as hooves, and that's because right now they're too round. Also there seems to be no ankles to be seen.

Here's the ref:
    Name:  hoovesQA.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  36.8 KB

So according to that I did quick redlining:
    Name:  stormhoof.JPG
Views: 291
Size:  75.7 KB

Hope this helps, keep going.

Emiel Inkeri

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. The female tauren comparisons are about the most painful thing anyone could have said, as I think their model designs are some of the worst in all of video gaming.

Sounds like I need to go back and work on the shapes of various things, like hooves and facial structure in order to really sell the this is a horse based design and not a cow. The hoof and face diagrams are quite helpful, although we're going for a much larger clydesdale type look for the hooves (as you can see in the attached image, which includes the source photos, original sketch and the human character design I'm working from).

Comparing these, I think some of the personality of the original sketch was lost in the color rendering. I'll keep chipping away at it. Thanks again for the help!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wallace View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. The female tauren comparisons are about the most painful thing anyone could have said, as I think their model designs are some of the worst in all of video gaming.
    Well, it's not about the models, more from the "generic tribal-leather nomad hoof" look they both have.
    Also you haven't paid attention to your ref properly (though the baggy pants don't help), since his leg is bending more away from the viewer than the one in your image:
    Name:  redlinehorse.JPG
Views: 248
Size:  106.6 KB

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, still a long ways to go yet, but here is an update based on the feedback so far.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure what's going on with her head. Are those armor plates or are the dark bits markings? Also I'd really advise against painting on that big white background. At least reduce it's brightness so you can work out the values better.

Oh, and the hooves are still wrong. Clydesdale hooves are still the same as regular horse hooves only bigger, broader and more covered in hair.

Seda Stormhoof

Don't forget the joint above the hoof. It's rather vital for movement.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.