Thread: animation

Thanks

animation

hey all, is there a thread for animation? 2d? if there is you can redirect me. anyway, i just put my demo reel and one of my films up on my site, there's no link from the main site yet cause I want to make sure it all works. I apologize for the presentation, I'm planning on making over the whole site pretty soon... not sure the best way to present these anyway... so, check em out if you're curious, let me know what you think and if they downloaded okay.

films page

they take about five mins to download for me w/ DSL, so... a fast connection would be best. hope it works!

THANKS!!!!!

...anytips for a smaller file size? right now they have been compressed in Premiere w/ the sorenson video setting.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Download worked

Is the first one some sort of an interview with kids about god and you took the audioline to make animations for?

My fav part is where one of the kids is thinking about something to say and you can see it in his face how he's struggling in his mind
    Nice expressions overall...was there an original video that you used as reference?

I like the story with the "flying" squirrel (don't know the right name of this animal in english) in the demo reel. Is there a "full version" of this?

:thumbsup:

Cool animations!

Thanks
    sweet demo reel fletchgirl. I love those squirrels

Thanks
    Wow really impresive demo reel fletchgirl, I also like the sqirl segment is it a finished pice in the sense of a pencil test?

Would like to see the whole thing.
    What school did you go to study animation?

Thanks
    wow, thanks you guys!

there is a full version of the squirrel film, but I don't have it transfered (sp?) to the computer...

Fozzie: Yes, I interveiwed some kids at my church, cut the tracks together and used that as the dialouge.

the scene you metioned seems to be a lot of people's favorite, I'm glad I didn't use video reference, i just acted it out over and over in a mirror. (same with the squirrel on the branch... i jumped up and down on a sofa. hhaha. I got some strange looks during that one.)

Damage: I went to CalArts.

Thanks
    Cool!

I would suggest to take the squirrel or the thinking boy as your new avatar

Thanks
    wow thats so awesome, im totally inspired.
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks

Thanks
    the boy it is... although, all small, he looks like he's eating a lollipop or something...

thank you too, red_rook and jwo...

Thanks
    Very impressive work on your page
    love the starbucks section

Let's see more fletchgirl

Thanks
    hehe, there he goes...nice color-scheme for an avatar!

Thanks
    Man you cal arts student's are great. Every animation festival i've seen where cal arts students enter they always stand out.

Fletchgirl did you graduate already and did you enjoy your stay over at Cal Arts.

I almost got in back in high school on the summer program but missed it by a thread. I love the idea of a school open 24 hrs for students to work on their projects. I have lots of friends that currently have gone to Cal Arts.

Keep up the great work, can't wait to see more.

Thanks
    Fletchgirl - Great animation!! Major skillz! The expressions are hillarious the way some of the characters pause for a bit trying to think of how to explain what they are trying to explain, and then rapidly say what they want to say. I love this stuff! I wanna animate again!

-C

Thanks
    Damage- I graduated in 2002, and I did love the school.. it has to be open 24 hours cause that's about how many hours a day we would work! i guess I know some of your friends, huh? (were they in animation? )

Fozzy- haha, i noticed that after i went back to the thread, I guess I'm just trying to be like you.. :p

thanks king... I'll see what i can do

Chris- thanks, I had great dialogue to work with, those kids were really great. I wanna animate again too!!! I keep messing with Flash but it's not the same...

Thanks
    Damn...I thought I replied to this thread...wtf.

Anyways, I'm pretty much just repeating what everyone else said. This is great stuff. The sound on the second one (the actual demo reel) seemed a bit scratchy to me...not sure if it was just my computer or not though.

You should definately be animating though...top notch stuff! It's a shame there's so little room for traditional animation nowadays. :/
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    uh, yeah... the sound on that one's a funny story. actually, it's a sort of long boring story involving itunes and their m4p compression (whatever that is) so.. it's not you. the sound really does suck :p

yeah... i really should learn Maya and 3dStudio Max... I keep hoping that one day, 2d will make it's triumphant return... but right now, I feel like i learned all about the telegraph, specializing in morse code, and my senior year, someone said, "Dude, uh, everyone's using this "telephone" thing now... what should we do?"

Thanks
    2d will come back, it's just that everyone's really on a 3D stick right now.

That's not to say that 2D will be as strong as before, but it has a certain visual style to it that won't be abandoned.

If all else fails, you can move to one of the many countries which our animation is being shipped off to.

Personally, I think it wasn't the medium that died, it was that nearly every feature length 2d animation were basically the same story (barring Lilo and Stich).

Thanks
    2d-animation will never die...and if you like what you are doing and you are good in this, you'll have success, even if you animate on toilet-paper...

Thanks
    yay... toilet paper...

I agree that the 2d stories started really going down the drain... although, lets not forget antz, or final fantasy, ooh, or Dinasour, or, barbie rapuzel... (okay, i didn't actually see that one... it could have been a gem) really, i think, stories in general were going bye-bye... but, there had to be something to blame... i better not talk right now, I'm very tired. i may start my rant. :rant: i bet we all have one, a rant that is... i'm not making any sense.

Thanks
    2D not being as big as it used to be really irritated me when I was enjoying creating 2d animation. I love animating, but when I was in college, I learned that I couldn't get a job doing traditional animation at say ,Disney, no matter how cool my portfolio looked because I had too much of my own style. And even tho my style was appealing to some people, it wasn't something that I would be allowed to do professionally.

I also learned that the only (major) kinds of 2d animation is Disney style(not just look, but the way characters move and talk as well), Anime style, and then your basic generic, low budget, quick TV cartoon style where there isn't much animation involved. I noticed that alot of 2d animation are now starting to go down the path of extrememly simple, like the Rugrats or Powerpuff girls movie. It seems almost impossible to be allowed to do an animation with an ORIGINAL style with a big budget. Because of that, we are only left with a few different animation styles of art showns by big budget companies like Disney and those of Anime.

A 3d modeler doesn't have to draw in the companies style while animating their character. 'Style' is already created with the 3d model, so all the 3d animator has to concentrate on is the actual animation, and the style of animation (usually Disney or Pixarish), not the drawing. It seems like it would be easier for someone like me to do animation professionally if it were for 3d because my drawing style wouldn't show through.

I think that their are a lot of abilities we artists have but sometimes we aren't allowed to really exploit those abilities because of time and money. I'd like to animate some realy cool shite ttraditionally, and I know people would like it if they saw it, but no company is gonna allow me to animate their product hardcore in my style of animation. So bascially, it seems I learned the techniques of animation, and the enjoyment of animation, for nothing. I really hope not. And I hope you Fletchgirl, will find good fortunes in your animation career.

This is just something thats been bothering me for a while. I do a lot of different types of art for work, but when I look back at my animation portfolio, I think to myself, 'this is all cool stuff, but did I do all that studying and work for nothing?' And I'm sure I'm not the only artists out there who has good work in other styles but not sure if they can really be allowed to do it professionally.

Thanks
    that's true Chris... It seems like a lot of people that really love animation have to find other things to do... actually, the nice thing about computers, cg included, is that it makes things that used to be impossible for one relatively poor person to do possible. You can make an independant film on your own. actually, correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I heard "Sky Captain and the World of tomorrow" was done mostly by Kerry Conran in his garage. although that took a lot more funding than what i'm talking about... but it is totally possible to make your own short or even feature film, all you need is time. unfortunately, once you start working, time is not what you have.... :bash: what a conundrum... but, the future is promising...

Thanks
    Yeah Fletch, agreed. It is popssible to make your own short film if your able to manage your time properly, and that can happen if your goals for what ever project your planning is set and planned well. I don't know much about Kerry Conran, but Robert Rodrieguez (mispelled no doubt) who created once upon in Mexico created some of his movies out from his garage as well. My point is, usually the (I made this out my garage) for guys like these usually means they had a decent sized staff working with them, and had (a few) but incredibly expensive equipment, and a few hundred thousand dollars or more to create their projects. And they're garage is nothing like a normal garage, more like a hardcore studio that used to be a garage once. At least thats what I saw when watching a commentary and Rob Rodriehuez. (Working from out our garage) to people like us usually means exactly that, with no staff. Although Rodriegez did work on his first project with only one other guy, and a few borrowed actors, didn't pay anyone anything, and 7,000 dollars. I think he built from that project to be able to work on his first big film.

Voices of a Distant Star, was a short anime film created by one guy, no staff, from what I heard. It took him I think almost a year to create it by himself. THe final product was pretty good, very professional in terms of great scenes. But the animation was weak because he uses basic anime short cut techniques, which worked good in his favor to save him time.

With all that blah blah said, yeah, it's possible to do your own animated film on your own. I guess it's good planning, and sacrificing things in your life to make more time, if you really need to sacrifice anything. ANd making sure your doing it for a reason, and that when your done, it opens bigger door for you to animate pro or do what ever it is you plan with the work.

-C

Thanks
    Woohoo! Cool stuff Fletch!

This is the lounge so I dunno if you want demo reel advice? The only thing I would say is, you have a lot of totally awesome fully animated pieces, but they're interspersed with unrelated projects that are less finished (animated on 12's/etc). I only mention it because it gives the "everything but the kitchen sink" impression. If you cut those shots out, so it was just one fully animated minute of the "all that stuff" kids, squirrels, and the two kids in the snow, it'd be a lot tighter and more impressive. (IMHO)

But yeah man, awesome! The kids you animated for "And all that stuff" especailly have that spark, you know? Hope you get a cool job!

-T

Thanks
    Tedsuo- hmm, yeah, i threw it all in there because i wanted to show diff styles, from limited to fully animated... do you think that's not a good idea then? Should I maybe make 2 reels? thanks for the crit.. constructive ones are always appreciated.

Chris- Didn't Robert Rodriguez just max out his credit cards to make El Mariachi? He wrote a book about it, "Rebel Without a Crew" To raise more money, he sold his body to science (tested a lot of drugs and stuff) hahah, not that i would recommend that... i was just saying, it's much more accesible(sp?) now than it wouldv'e been say twenty years ago. for animation anyway. But yeah, you have to have a lot of drive to do something like that, that's for sure. I don't even update my website as much as I should because "I have no time" I would never be able to make my own film... maybe a short... sometime.... it was hard enough when that's what i was supposed to be doing!

Thanks
    Fletch - HAHAHAHA! Yeah it does seem difficult when thats what your suppose to be doing! It was difficult when me and some friends where making a short film for a college project. Relieving when you finish it right.

Thanks
    Hey fletchgirl have you ever seen http://www.rustboy.com/ ?

If not, definitely check it out. The guy's doing a short film of his own, using relatively low-end 3d software too.

Thanks
    Yay Rustboy! That guy's been working on that forever, I hope he finishes soon.

Flech, I'm a 3d animator (boo! hiss!), so I obviously don't know exactly how it works in the 2d world. But I do know that I've been told by every hiring dude I've ever met that "I judge by your worst piece, not your best." BTW, I think customizing your demo reel is a great idea! If you're applying to a studio that does limited animation in a similar style to one of your pieces, definitely put it on. To equate it to 3d, Pixar doesn't really care about the cool video game run cycle/BeastWarz animations you did, they just want to see acting (and weight). But video game/limited animation 3d studios would jump at an animator who can do Pixar quality work, and would naturally assume they would also be good at the more limited "get it done yesterday" style that the studio works in.

Okay, hope that rambling was somewhat helpful! Btw, I should point out that I am NOT a professional, I just know a lot of them. The main reason it's been on my mind lately is I have a couple of friends, both with years of awesome professional experience, who keep getting passed over because they insist on pading their reels out with older, lower quality work (mainly because they love those pieces for reasons other than the quality, or because they want to show empirically that they can do EVERYTHING).

Good stuff though! Hey, do you have any animations of those crazy characters on your site? Your animation designs are awesome.

:chug:

Thanks
    Chris- haha, actually, i always got this weird feeling when i finished like... "huh. well... i guess.. that's done..." hahah. like all you've been doing 20 hours a day was work on this project, and then all of the sudden, there's nothing to do...

Groover- Thanks for the link! It's cool that he has someone funding it now so he can work on it full time...

Tedsuo- thanks for the advice... you've been really helpful!! I'd like to animate some of the designs on my site, most of them i did after I left school, so, i haven't gotten a lot of chance to do that. It would be fun though!

Thanks
    Fletch - Hahaha, I know what you mean.