picking base colors for clothing
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: picking base colors for clothing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

picking base colors for clothing

hello, new to the site. ive been facing this problem for quite some time now;but, i wanted to ask for advice(and tutorials) on how to pick base colors for clothing. now ive already read tons on articles on complementry, triad, ect but i'm still not getting it... help plz

sry for lowercase, using ipad and splashtop app.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

dpaint is online now Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,883 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Don't really understand what your asking, the color of clothing is whatever you want it to be. Just like the color of everything else in the image. Use real life and historical costume books for reference and go from there. Obviously if your image is fantasy there are certain types of clothing that work better with fantasy then other types. All this is based in functionality and fashion.

Last edited by dpaint; August 22nd, 2011 at 11:07 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Don't really understand what your asking, the color of clothing is whatever you want it to be. Just like the color of everything else in the image. Use real life and historical costume books for reference and go from there. Obviously if your image is fantasy there are certain types of clothing that work better with fantasy then other types. All this is based in functionality and fashion.
    I figured it out thank you but I was just trying to figure out how to chose the correct base colors for painting the character (i.e clothes skin) before I add shading and highlights.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In other words you're trying to isolate the local color?

Very generally, I'd look for a color that is in between the highlights and shadows, and that is tinted least by the color of the light sources. But it can be simplistic to think in terms of local color, since this will always be changed by the lighting conditions -- sometimes you should just get good reference and pick patches of color as you see them. As you try to mix them up you will learn a lot about optical color mixing. Or if you're working transparently, try doing value painting first and then adding transparent color. There are lots of ways to approximate reality, depending on the materials you use and the look you're going for.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mickeymao For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.