Thanks

2 simular novel covers

Maybe its just me?

2 simular novel covers

2 simular novel covers

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Well.. If its by the same artist, i just don't care since clearly its just his way to cut corners (maybe lazyness, maybe swamped schedule but good money.. Idk)

But of course, if it's by two different artists, then may the thief burn in hell for all eternity and get f-ed by 18 hitlers.

But my question towards you, my good ms. Select, is why did you think this deserved a thread of its on, when there's well, three threads on this matter at least going on in the lounge as we speak?
    My SketchBook

--Wait, whut? --
    Anonymous

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Number one is clearly a poor copy of Number two

Thanks
    FWIW:

The illustrator attributed to "By the Light of the Moon" is one Matt Truiano, while the illustrator for "Howl of the Werewolf" is Martin McKenna.

Howl of the werewolf was published ~2007, while Light of the moon was published in 2011.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tim Murphy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Is there some reason we cant have multiple threads covering issues of art theft, I would think that separate instances would warrant such. As well as cut down on the confusing dialogue
    -Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Demo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mossi,-- its because there was already three threads I thought it was plagiarism week!?

actually I was kind of curios if any member on Ca were the artist of the original and or friends? so they could have this brought to their attention if it wasn't something they ok`d.

Thanks
    I wrote the original artist to let him know, in case he didnt already, the guy does really great work. the other guy...not so much.. if this was my work, Id want some torches lit!

Thanks
    Why the hell not, let's all have some fun.
    Attachment 1305623
    Crappy teen novels a go-go.

Is it possible for a publishing company to hold the rights to use particular pieces of artwork and use them for multiple pieces of literature for the sake of cost efficiency?

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeston View Post
    Is it possible for a publishing company to hold the rights to use particular pieces of artwork and use them for multiple pieces of literature for the sake of cost efficiency?
    Well, this is at least prevalent with covers that use stock photos. I do remember seeing actual blogs that collect teen book covers that are basically copies of each others.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Yes, the overuse of stock photography is a growing problem in publishing. Here's a Goodreads page compiling similar covers. That's a totally different issue than ripping off art like the first post, though.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Select View Post
    I wrote the original artist to let him know, in case he didnt already, the guy does really great work. the other guy...not so much.. if this was my work, Id want some torches lit!
    Let the publishers know too. Its not just good enough to let the artists know. The publishers have the power to not hire these people. When I was working for a magazine in the eighties doing illustrations, someone ripped off one of my teachers, Thomas Blackshear, by stealing one of his Shannara paintings. I told the publisher and they made sure this guy was out of the industry; he went back to doing fan art. Its a small world.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Select View Post
    It was plagiarism week!?
    The fuck? It's a holiday now?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to velderia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Any technology that simplifies theft, encourages theft.

Any service that offers a substitute for integrity will replace integrity.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

19. The Following User Says Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Possibly goes on a you thought we wouldn't notice page?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Let the publishers know too. Its not just good enough to let the artists know. The publishers have the power to not hire these people. When I was working for a magazine in the eighties doing illustrations, someone ripped off one of my teachers, Thomas Blackshear, by stealing one of his Shannara paintings. I told the publisher and they made sure this guy was out of the industry; he went back to doing fan art. Its a small world.
    The publisher who received the ripped work doesn't believe plagiarism is involved. I received a letter from them about the issue.

Basically the publisher tried to justify it by saying the artist used "white hairs" the moon is different etc...

http://www.conceptart.org/copyright/ nice powerpoint refresher for people.
    Last edited by Arshes Nei; August 27th, 2011 at 05:44 PM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just thought I'd post an update.

Since I contacted the offending publisher, I also contacted Martin McKenna and received a reply. He also feels his work was ripped off. He will contact the publisher, but doesn't believe after seeing the email I forwarded to him from the publisher that much will come from it.

I also let him know to have his publisher (if they're still around) contact the offending publisher for the plagiarism.

I hope no other artists would consider doing business with this publisher if they support theft of other works. Also, no need to go over and witch hunt since I contacted the parties involved.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good to hear Arshes Nei, and I'm glad you had posted an update.

Internet Vigilantism (a.k.a. Witch Hunting) not only carries the risk of wronging an innocent party (a problem with playing "judge, jury, & executioner") but also frequently results in merely short term punishment and no long term changes.

Hopefully compensation will be awarded to Martin McKenna, and if not at least others can be aware and avoid Damnation Books in the future (if they are indeed aware and do not care). If it's any consolation to others it would seem from reviews that the writing is mediocre (not 'bad' per se, but certainly not good), add in the typesetting on the cover and it appears the publisher gets what it pays for... meaning the so-called "artist" is hardly making a living wage.
    -My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Since this thread is about plagiarism, I thought I'd ask a question here. Basically, when I was walking through the city, I saw this painting being sold in an art gallery for 4000 euros, and it was a rip-off of a pretty well-known painting on deviantart ('two prostitutes' by cellar-fcp). It was the same image, only mirrored and with a crop of one of the faces added next to it, and then a crappy red and black filter over it. I contacted the art gallery, but apparently the dude who 'made it', also works there, and he told me that if someone altered someone else's work, they were allowed to sell it as their own, and it was his 'duty as an artist to spread his vision to try and make the world more like a utopia'.
    I don't really know how to respond to this, especially since he claimed that he had all this sorted out by a prestigious lawyer's office in the capital or something.

Anyway, since people sometimes lie, I just wanted to ask if he's right and he can actually do this?
    My sketchbook - it's a little sketchy.

Thanks
    I had contacted Martin via his website when this thread started, but didn't get a reply, So thank you for posting as I feel a hell of a lot better knowing that for sure he knows!

Thanks
    It's not just the cover that's plagiarized. By the light of the moon is a Dean Koontz novel as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by megaten View Post
    It's not just the cover that's plagiarized. By the light of the moon is a Dean Koontz novel as well.
    Well, it's also an album, which appeared before Koontz's novel.

But, what about in cases like this? I got this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Myths-Legend...5313166&sr=1-2 and saw this inside it:
    2 simular novel covers
    2 simular novel covers
    (From an official D&D monster book.)
    I refuse to believe that would be an accident.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Titles aren't copyrightable.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron