Art: Wizard (Father Earth) Puppet updated 5/13

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wizard (Father Earth) Puppet updated 5/13

I wish I had earlier process photos to show y'all, but I've only just started documenting my work in stages.

Despite the title, this guy will be "Father Earth" when he's done. This will be a rod puppet like my others, although he's slightly bigger. The head and upper torso and the hands (not shown because I broke one of 'em :eek: ) are super sculpey with acrylic.

He vaguely reminds me of Shel Silverstein...

Signature on the back

This is a very special gift for my Dad, who to me is very wise, nurturing and one helluva gardener. He's also been pestering me for a puppet for over a year now. The back is stamped with my trademark seal (one of my grandma's buttons)

Any feedback would be welcome - I should have pics of him in costume soon... I spent all afternoon dyeing the fabric.

Last edited by Steph Laberis; May 13th, 2004 at 02:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome! The fact that it is for your Father makes it even better. I love the profile shot there...it looks so...."whispy".:thumbsup:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really beautiful. because you can see so much love & feeling has gone into it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have some more pics of Father Earth to show. He's got his basic cloak now, mostly made of cheesecloth and guaze. I went through SO much dye to get this dang pallette!

I have to add little burlap bags of seeds and saplings to his scarf. I also have to carve him a walking stick. I'm really enjoying working on him because with him, it's all about the detailing.

Here is is, looking like a God/Moses cliche hybrid. Puppets are neat!

And a detail...

And a detail of his robes. Is it wrong to feel passionate about cheesecloth?

Feedback and criticism are always welcome. Just try to lay off the "Moses" comments ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i wish i had that kind of patience. looking really good

My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup
    "Why should I believe you? You're Hitler!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is awesome. I am very glad for this forum. I get to see what all can be done with sculpting. You are very talented. I love it.

The only thing I could, maybe, point out is the right hand/wrist is bugging me. I think it is bent far beyond where someone would want to bend it. But, of course it is up to you and what you had in mind . I hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing more. Take care.

Peace,
    Jeff C.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nofingers: Hey, thanks! The patience comes a lot easier when you're really enjoying what you're sculpting. Plus, I like to work with fabric so when the sculpey starts giving me a hard time, I can distract myself with the sewing.

jcdied4me: Thanks for commenting! Good point about that wrist. The thing is, the only parts of him that are sculpted are the head/torso and the hands up tp the wrist. The idea was to let the fabric serve as arms, which worked fine in the past when there were less layers of clothing, but now sagging fabric has become an issue.

Any suggestions what I could use to suggest the shape of an arm without restricting movement?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How exactly is everything connected? Are all the parts separate... meaning are they not connected by a armature? I see two metal rods that seem to be holding up the hands and one for the head... is this right?

Well, if what I said was right then I would say to try using some string to eliminate the sagging. Just tie it from the metal bars and then use some tinfoil around the string to give it volume. That’s what I would try. My suggestion may sound weak but it's because I haven’t been sculpting long to try all the possibilities. Let me know how it goes and what other ways you would think about doing this.

Good luck

Peace,
    Jeff C.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OH YES! This very cool. All this mixed media in one sculpt is inspirational...keep it up! You'll figure out all the kinks, and it'll be awesome. :chug:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.