A new Wacom?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A new Wacom?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A new Wacom?

Dave Gibbons mentioned it on Twitter. He was being cryptic about it, saying that it's not a Cintiq nor an Intuos, but it's something that's going to knock everyone's socks off.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    link?

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^Thanks!

that's good news! yet, we don't know what we'll be put up against from defects, since they haven't done much to improve the DTK Cintiq 21..

the good thing is, i was about to pull the trigger on the 21" @ $2500 (unjustified price tbh, and still hasitant to do it), but now since they're introducing a new device soon (hopefully bug-free), i'll be waiting for it, and hopefully reasonably priced.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well..

could it be?

A tablet PC perhaps?!

My SketchBook

--Wait, whut? --
    Anonymous

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by maXmood View Post
    ^Thanks!

that's good news! yet, we don't know what we'll be put up against from defects, since they haven't done much to improve the DTK Cintiq 21..

the good thing is, i was about to pull the trigger on the 21" @ $2500 (unjustified price tbh, and still hasitant to do it), but now since they're introducing a new device soon (hopefully bug-free), i'll be waiting for it, and hopefully reasonably priced.
    Actually the price of the 21" at 2k is worth it. I think I'd be hesitant over that though.

I'd wait and see what the device is, but given that there is no date...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "New Wacom: not Intuos or Cintiq."

Since this is from an individual artist and not Wacom itself, and given how brief the tweet was....the Artist probably just aquired a different wacom product he previously didn't have. Like a Wacom Penabled Tablet PC, or a Graphire Wireless, or Bamboo...etc. He could be just trying to say he picked up a new (new to him anyway) wacom tablet that just wasn't the more popular Intuos/Cintiq line.

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveCummings View Post
    Dave Gibbons mentioned it on Twitter. He was being cryptic about it, saying that it's not a Cintiq nor an Intuos
    bamboo line update than?..

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Actually the price of the 21" at 2k is worth it. I think I'd be hesitant over that though.

I'd wait and see what the device is, but given that there is no date...
    Yea, totally agree with you.. @ $2000, i think it is worth it, but since there are a limited quantity in the market, every seller been raising the price to $2500 and some even to $3000, which is ridiculous IMO.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmagistric View Post
    "New Wacom: not Intuos or Cintiq."

Since this is from an individual artist and not Wacom itself, and given how brief the tweet was....the Artist probably just aquired a different wacom product he previously didn't have. Like a Wacom Penabled Tablet PC, or a Graphire Wireless, or Bamboo...etc. He could be just trying to say he picked up a new (new to him anyway) wacom tablet that just wasn't the more popular Intuos/Cintiq line.
    very possible...

on another note, on EU's Wacom forum, an offical said they had to stop Cintiq 21 production because of the latest hit on Japan, and there is no set date as of when they'll start again..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.columbian.com/news/2011/a...atest-quarter/

Wacom Co., a manufacturer of touch-based graphic tablets and pens with U.S. operations headquartered in Vancouver, reported a 21 percent year-over-year drop in U.S. sales and 6.2 percent drop worldwide for the fiscal quarter ending June 30. The company recorded about $21.2 million in U.S. sales and $92.3 million worldwide for the quarter.

The Japanese company’s quarterly earnings report, issued last week, attributed the drop to the lingering impact of the March 11 Japan earthquake on manufacturing, the rising value of the Japanese yen, and a change in its product line that dampened sales.

Sales of its Cintiq tablets dropped by 12 percent, due to a shortage of LCD panels used in the professional line. The March 11 earthquake and a steady stream of aftershocks forced a curtailment of production of the LCD panels, but Wacom said disruptions to its supply chain ended in June. Sales of the company’s consumer-orientedBamboo series increased 3 percent, the company said.

While the European Union’s credit crisis put a dent in European sales, Wacom said its sales grew in emerging markets including China and India. It said that smartphones, tablet devices and e-books are raising demand for the company’s pen and touch technologies.

The company also reported that digital signature verification, a strong market for Wacom products, is gaining momentum in the U.S., China, and Asia Pacific regions.

Wacom’s net after-tax profit declined by 89 percent to about $453,000. The company reported that the heavy loss was due to its withdrawal during the quarter from a pension fund.

Wacom employs about 120 people in Vancouver. The company specializes in tablets, pens and touch components used by consumers and by arts and graphics professionals.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the new Wacom product that is neither Intuous nor Cintiq.
    I'm not sure it is really what we as artists need, although it does have the same pressure levels as the penabled tablet PCs.

http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/Int...eDisplays.aspx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaudiaP View Post
    I'm not sure it is really what we as artists need, although it does have the same pressure levels as the penabled tablet PCs.

Actually that line isn't new - they've been around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaudiaP View Post

Tablet PC's only have 256 levels. These Non-Cintiq interactive displays have 512 levels. So technically its not the same, but the difference really wouldn't be noticable if at all. The overall user end experience/feeling would probablly be very simmilar to that of a Tablet PC only with the Cintiq benefit of being able to upgrade your comps hardware and having a larger active area.

Regardless, these are still quite capable for Art Use, but since the price's are in the Cintiq range, there is really no benefit to getting one when you could just get a proper Cintiq or a tricked out Tablet PC for the same relative price.

I'm sure if Wacom sold these for under $1000, they'd probablly be alot more popular.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok...looks like it may be something new after all

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/18/w...e-went-to-art/

A 24 inch High Def Cintiq

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thank goodness the cat's out the bag.
    I was really hoping they would save this for the next gen of tablet tech....or is the next gen of tablet tech about to arrive....hmmmmm
    LOL
    C'mon Wacom, make me work for this one eh? I think I will if those touchscreen drivers are written correctly and launch bug free. My hands are kinda big.
    Don't count on IPS just yet...dunno so much about that. With the world economy and the way Wacom drags out their innovation...maybe, maybe not.
    I hope so, color calibration is important and IPS is the way to go on the average consumer level right now.

Waiting patiently

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

However, that contradicts the statements "not intuos or cintiq"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    However, that contradicts the statements "not intuos or cintiq"
    Yeah, Dave Gibbons already replied to the news about the Cintiq24HD and said that it wasn't that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seriously.

50 bucks it's a portable device (I'm thinking PC, but could be an Android tablet with preinstsalled Art programs, and Pressure Sensitive Pen Support ofc).

My SketchBook

--Wait, whut? --
    Anonymous

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossi View Post
    Seriously.

50 bucks it's a portable device (I'm thinking PC, but could be an Android tablet with preinstsalled Art programs, and Pressure Sensitive Pen Support ofc).
    That would be good to hear considering the major setback of the iPad was not allowing pressure sensitivity. I know Wacom makes a stylus for the iPad but of course it's not pressure sensitive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heard a rumor a while back about Wacom working on some new kind of pen. I was told that with this pen you could draw on any surface and it would translate it wirelessly to your PC screen. Not sure what to think about that.

www.st-hilaire.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Dan View Post
    Heard a rumor a while back about Wacom working on some new kind of pen. I was told that with this pen you could draw on any surface and it would translate it wirelessly to your PC screen. Not sure what to think about that.
    I dont see that happening. that would render their entire bamboo and intuos line useless if you could just draw on any surface and have it work like a tablet. it has to be a tablet of some kind

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's going to have like 16 or 32 pressure levels if it's ever gonna be released, so any basic bamboo will work much better for drawing/painting and they won't have directly competing product lines.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it would be really cool if it was a tablet pc! Prob be expensive though when you can get an LE1700 for less the $600 these days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it would be very unlikely they would be making a Tablet PC because Wacom has never produced an actual computer. Sure they make the sensor boards, put together the displays, pens, etc....but the laptop hardware/os side has never been anything they really vested interest in before. Even with current Tablet PCs, they just supply a few components. Its always been up to another company like HP, Asus, Lenovo, etc to actually make the Tablet PC.

Not that there's not a first for everything, but given how Wacom's been treating its current penabled brand....it just doesn't seem like its really anything they would put as a priority.

Aside from throwing in 2-finger touch options, their EMR digitizer for tablet PCs has been the same without update for 7-8 years now. And thanks to the tablet craze started by the Ipad, there is now a market for Pen and touch Slate tablets in the less then 10 inch size. The HTC FLyer, HP Slate 500, Motion Computing CL900, and the Fujitsu Q550, are the most current examples. But Wacom has literally done nothing and has let N-trig completely dominate that market.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NiaLain View Post
    I think it would be really cool if it was a tablet pc! Prob be expensive though when you can get an LE1700 for less the $600 these days.
    i can't find any new LE1700 for less than $1800...

i'm looking at used ones atm.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Huh? That's even more then the ep121. I was looking on ebay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Of course you can't find new ones cheap. Its a discontiuned model. Alot of tablets by Motion Computing like the Le16/1700, Ls800, and even the HP TC1100 used to be lisenced/leased/loaded/whatever in mass numbers for companies to use. When those lisences were up, they pretty much went right to Ebay.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to darkmagistric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.wacom.eu/index2.asp?lang=en

The plot thickens..

Vector Graphics
    Sketch
    Not a Tablet
    On the go

www.st-hilaire.net

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Evil_Dan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is great. I thought it was going to be months before it came out. with only 3 days until they show it i admit im excited to see what it is. Im also a bit baffled. it says you sketch with it but he said its not a intuos, cintiq or tablet. that pretty much leaves some sort of pen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.