Sketchbook: Sy's Sketchbook - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Sy's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some recent doodles 'n things. Random chubby pug for a friend, birthday turtle for my mom, and extreme space pirate ninja turtles with laser guns drinking tea for another friend. xD

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those figure drawing sessions are really paying off syrella, keep them up. i like the Pug looks so adorable .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the slow update! I've been busy with classes and things... Here are a few observational drawings + fun stuff.

My recent goal is to teach myself how to paint with photoshop a bit more. I've been looking through the ctrl+paint tutorials. Gonna try a few more photo studies and/or still lifes. Shall be fun!

Anyhow, enjoy... will try to update more frequently!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Globe painting! This was rather fun, actually.

Reference image courtesy of ctrl+paint.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool studies, really like the face at #1

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elias Leonard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elias Leonard View Post
    cool studies, really like the face at #1
    Thanks! I lost Photoshop after I did that one, so it's been mostly pencil drawings ever since. I'd like to try more portraits when I can!

In the meantime, have an orange!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice portraits in first posts, I really like them. Keep doing more anatomy and figure studies
    About perspective sketches...try to not use a ruler so you can practice your freehand drawing.
    Btw my favourite watercolor is a blue apple

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Classmate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since people seem to like portraits, thought I'd try my hand at it again..

This is a photo study. Stock courtesy of:
    http://ahrum-stock.deviantart.com/

And yeah, I realize the values are a bit off in the second one. I was gonna go back in and fix that later if I turn it into a painting. A bit tired today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook!
    I really like your linedrawings. Some of them (especially the ones with big strokes) remind me a bit of calligraphy. And I agree on the values of the portrait in the last post, but instead of just changing them I think you should add one or two.
    It looks a bit flat now and one darker and another lighter grey might help there.
    You're doing great, keep at it!

My sketches & ramblings
    I also have a Sketchblog/ now, where I do my stuff. Check it out~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Syrella,
    We do look alike! Whats it with having curly hair and big foreheads, I thought that it was just me all this while (and hated it) and then my boyfriend told me it's a common curly gurl thing. Google proves it. o_O

I really liked the cartoon girl in post #118 And the painting of the globe.
    Are you still attending the figure drawing classes?

You've captured the features of the guy in the recent portrait well.. Will be back for moar!

Hello! I'm trying to improve my artwork and I really could use your critique - S k e t c h b o o k

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sb Syrella! I really like your figure studies and gestures. And your watercolors look nice too.
    The only crit I have is just maybe to draw and paint moar?
    This latest photo study is coming along nicely. I can relate to what you said in the first page about lagging the ability to produce finished pieces.
    I have the same problem. Man I love doodling around and sketching stuff but what it comes to longer, finished stuff, I suck.
    But let us try to learn be better at that!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon J View Post
    Hey Syrella,
    We do look alike! Whats it with having curly hair and big foreheads, I thought that it was just me all this while (and hated it) and then my boyfriend told me it's a common curly gurl thing. Google proves it. o_O

I really liked the cartoon girl in post #118 And the painting of the globe.
    Are you still attending the figure drawing classes?

You've captured the features of the guy in the recent portrait well.. Will be back for moar!
    Hi again! Haha. Yeah, I never noticed about the big forehead thing, but you are correct by the looks of it! It must be a linked genetic trait or something silly. Oh well!

I'm not attending anymore. It's a plein air co-op of sorts and they only offer it during the summer (read: too cold to be strutting around outside without clothes on!). I'll hopefully be able to go again when the time comes, though!

Quote Originally Posted by I.N.K. View Post
    Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook!
    I really like your linedrawings. Some of them (especially the ones with big strokes) remind me a bit of calligraphy. And I agree on the values of the portrait in the last post, but instead of just changing them I think you should add one or two.
    It looks a bit flat now and one darker and another lighter grey might help there.
    You're doing great, keep at it!
    Hi, thanks! Well, I was hoping to put up the flat colors first and then work towards blending... BUT I got a bit carried away with the process and shadows ended up where they weren't supposed to be. Woops! You are correct, though. It needs more values. I don't know when I'll get a chance to continue working on that one, but it IS on my list! I want to actually make a proper portrait painting again. It's been too long.

That's interesting to hear about the calligraphy... I hadn't thought of it like that! I do really like big bold line work though. Hopefully I'll be able to keep some of that aesthetic in the future too.

Quote Originally Posted by Satu View Post
    Nice sb Syrella! I really like your figure studies and gestures. And your watercolors look nice too.
    The only crit I have is just maybe to draw and paint moar?
    This latest photo study is coming along nicely. I can relate to what you said in the first page about lagging the ability to produce finished pieces.
    I have the same problem. Man I love doodling around and sketching stuff but what it comes to longer, finished stuff, I suck.
    But let us try to learn be better at that!
    Haha. I will try to draw and paint more. I'm busy with grad school lately and it sucks up most of my time. If I can get in the habit of drawing even for 15-20 minutes a day, though, I'd be happy!! It's important to practice often, as they say.

I'm also still working towards the more finished work bit! I think some of it is related to anxiety (which I'm working on) and some of it is just getting tired/bored. So... the solution for me is to just get really quick and accurate so that I can do more in limited time! That's the plan, anyhow.

Anyhow, thanks for the feedback!! I'll keep at it. You too!!

-------------

And on later news, I make an acrylic painting earlier! I wanted to try my hand at abstract work again. It was fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the comment, you've made some decent progress in the last year or so. I like the charcoal life drawing sketches, you can try and back those up by doing anatomy studies too. Oh, and make some time to draw more regularly!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great progress since page 1! I haven't seen it but what's your goal with your art? There's some imagination work that's cartoony, then there's studies.
    On your last portrait the values make it look a bit flat. Try and look at the shadow shapes and think about form change. The nose for example Has no real front plane on your value study. Also don't forget about perspective even when drawing a portrait. The mouth doesn't feel as if it wraps around the muzzle.
    Keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TomSeas View Post
    Great progress since page 1! I haven't seen it but what's your goal with your art? There's some imagination work that's cartoony, then there's studies.
    On your last portrait the values make it look a bit flat. Try and look at the shadow shapes and think about form change. The nose for example Has no real front plane on your value study. Also don't forget about perspective even when drawing a portrait. The mouth doesn't feel as if it wraps around the muzzle.
    Keep at it!
    Hiya! Thanks for stopping by! I don't really have any set goal right now other than "improving". Maybe I should remedy that! I'll give it some serious thought. Maybe I'd be more motivated if I had something to aim for. I see what you mean about the value study, the face planes, etc... and I think I'll probably need to go back and fix quite a bit. It was a bit rushed and it shows. Thanks for pointing it out!

---

Classes have been really busy so I've had limited time to draw. Good news is that I started meditation and it's been helping a lot in terms of shutting out the mental chatter. I don't know why, but anxiety was becoming more and more of an issue, to the point where I wouldn't draw much at all because I felt discouraged. When I finally have time to turn my attentions back to actually practicing again, I think I will be in a better position than before.

Here are some drawings from over the break. Nothing too exciting, but I figure... better to post something than nothing at all.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.