Thanks

Pay after print ?

He guys, I already worked with some publishers from different countries, but recently I just got a job offer with a "pay after release" sentence.

Meaning I finnish the piece, they print in a couple of months and + 2 months or so I finally get paid.

Because thats the first time I ever came across such a thing (usually my clients pay within 2 or 3 weeks) I wanted to ask if that is a widely spread or even common regulation?

Any experience with that ?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm not an artist, and can't really speak for the industry specifically, but that smells. Personally, I'd pay my artist within 30 days AT LEAST. I know if I did any code or computer work, I'd want the bill to be settled in 30 days or less. Generally its 14 days or "on receipt."

Sounds like they don't have money and want you to work on credit.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    It's bullshit, and nowhere near industry standard. There is one well known tabletop/ccg game company that does this, and it drives me crazy that they manage to get people to go along with it.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 2,185 Times in 755 Posts
    Actually a couple of the big names do this. And another one has no trouble with 4 months+ before payment.

But it's still wrong & annoying.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    If it smells like bullshit, it probably is bullshit. Or at least fecal matter of some sort, and most certainly is something you shouldn't digest.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    @Elwell: I feel that we talk about the same

@Noah Bradley: A company that does this stuff SERIOUSLY should always have enough money to pay in a regular time period.

I just wrote him that he needs to change that part. Waiting half a year in the current economy situation is pretty risky and I need to pay my bills too.

Thanks
    Fantasy Flight Games does that.
    I think the quickest I've been paid by them was about 3 months after the work was handed in. The longest was about 6 months after hand in, and when I checked the deposit it was short $150 ( After chasing them up, they did pay me the $150, but it took a few weeks). I havn't worked with them since.

I don't have anything against the people that work there, they seem nice enough and do explain the paying process before you sign the work agreement.

But if I am to work with them again I would negotiate for a better payment plan.
    When you're doing this stuff for a living you can't be worrying about if you will be payed before your next load of household bills are due.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to onionface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    I wonder if they tell their printers that they'll only pay them after the stuff sells. Somehow I doubt it.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,185 Times in 755 Posts
    I was hesitant to name names... but yes, FFG is darn slow. Though technically they're not pay on publication. They're "pay 30 days after final approval." Final approval, sadly, can take months.

Other companies are worse, though. It's been 8 months since I completed some art and still have yet to be paid for all of it. And they're a major company.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Bradley View Post
    I was hesitant to name names....
    Don't hesitate.

Artists as a community must stick together and discuss these matters openly and honestly.
    As long as you don't personaly attack people, or hand out private information, then discussing work practices of a firm or company, and the way they treat their artists is a perfectly legitmate thing to do.

Think about this:
    You always provide a CV to a company or client so they can check up on you, call previous employers and ask about your work ethic.

But the company never gives you their CV in return, so you can talk to their previous employees, find out what it was like working there, and why they left.
    Last edited by onionface; August 17th, 2011 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks
    I was talking about catalyts game labs.
    With all the battletech stuff.

They just gave the job to another illustrator. T_T
    Strange that they are so unflexible in their contract doing, even though they seem to be succesfull, they even got some prices on the games con.

I seriously need some good paying jobs now.