What is the proper classroom etiquette in this situation?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: What is the proper classroom etiquette in this situation?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What is the proper classroom etiquette in this situation?

What if there are fellow students is poking you for advice and the information you are going to provide them ends up contradicting a lot of what the teacher just said. The professor just finished up a lecture strongly advocating plaster studies and still life for their portfolio to land jobs. Few of the student go, well...why does such and such do something different instead?(They point at me)

Long story short I was placed in awkward situation where I was defending why customizing a portfolio toward a job requirement might be better and some reasons it works for me. In my humble opinion I don't think casual game companies or prints shops would be interested in seeing plaster studies and still life paintings.

Is this one of those stituations where you don't be rude and contradict the dinner host?...or should you be yourself and help others with less reserve. I'm not sure.

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I think:

Defend your (correct) opinion, but be respectful. Oh, and enjoy the fight.

Other people will profit from it too.

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You provide relevant work experience to what you are applying for.

If this isn't completely obvious, I'd say fuck it, let them figure it out themselves.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Indeed, if you're going for a specific job - tailor your portfolio to that job. If you want to do character concepts, provide a good looking portfolio that shows your process and very nicely presents the actual results you can produce. Don't throw them a portfolio of roughed in landscapes.

Also, this is why it's a good idea to have more than one portfolio. That will help you showcase all of your skills, while being able to show individuals looking for specific work that you can do what they're looking for.

Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Dammnit. I was so sure that this was going to be an "erection-in-life-drawing-help" thread.

My advice for this is to not worry about it. By all means, if they ask then explain why you're doing other stuff, but there's no need to go out of your way. Certainly don't change what you're doing, because pleasing a potential employer is way more important than pleasing a teacher or fellow student.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 776 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really curious - did the professor mention what kind of jobs these plaster studies and still lifes would help you obtain? Because I really can't think of any. Even if you were a fine artist contacting a gallery or collector, plaster studies seems like a strange subject to show them. I would think the only scenario that a portfolio like that would help you would be if you were applying to a masters program or something similar.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I once had a fellow student tell me "Draw the hips first because that's the only place that matters." I looked at her for a second and opened my mouth.
    "You know, uh." I was ready, ready to reply in the many ways why that would not help either of us with our terrible anatomy problems, how this method wasn't helping her with her proportion in figures-
    and I just shut my mouth again.

Couldn't be arsed telling her. After knowing she told the best kid in our class last year to "draw the neck first." I knew I'd end up shouting obscenities at her.

So, unless you like drama. If the advice they are giving you is, in your opinion, shite. I'd Just politely acknowledge them and disregard it entirely.

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The only way to solve any issue, ever.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guy. I agree I should take it stride and it is probably better to have a portfolio that would please a employer rather than a teacher. (If they wanted the job)

dierat: The professor gave the general impression that filling your portfolio with still lifes or studies would be ideal. That quality would stick out to any employer (I guess regardless of subject matter). They from the fine arts department. Maybe that type portfolio can help a student transfer to another school or actually did help the professor in their tender years of teaching. Personally I wouldn't be as confident taking the same portfolio everywhere. Actually I don't see a whole lot still lifes or studies...on the professor website.

I was a former student who stop by the class for some practice and say hi. When that question did popped up, I was reluctant to speak up since I was a guest.

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,883 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Keep quiet and let them figure it out for themselves unless you want the competition.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    When they're wrong, they're wrong.

Try not to be a dick about it, though. But if you're asked, or if you can talk with some other students one-on-one, then share your own experiences and thoughts.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.