IOW #2 - Ragnarok Book Cover - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dreoilin: I'm excited to see your progress on this. I personally would like to see the Thor vs. Serpent sketch come to life

Joining this late, so I hope I can make the deadline still.

Fenrir before he swallows the sun. While I was reading up on this part, I imagined the sun was more of a goddess/living embodiment of the star as opposed to the literal sun. I hope this type of interpretation is alright

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by l'Aria; August 21st, 2011 at 02:14 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to l'Aria For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess I am in. I discovered this really late. But well, let's see if I can work fast.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start tempest-Haze

Last edited by Hyunjae; August 18th, 2011 at 07:43 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyunjae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 652 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    update, like the way Jormungand is turning out, the composition still needs some tweeking
    Name:  Thor v Jormungand copy.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  265.7 KB

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great topic! Here is what I have so far. Im thinking I might make Odin even smaller, as if he and the sun are just falling into Fenrir's mouth?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work everybody!

@ Rob Powell: looking good so far. Thors head looks a bit too big though.

Here is what i'm working on ...

My sketchbook:
    Fumble

My brothers sketchbook:
    Braintree

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil_J. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First WIP post and the finals thread is already up... hmmm xD

Ramariel: I would maybe make Fenrir slightly bigger in addition to making Odin and the sun slightly smaller. However, Odin charging forward so vertically looks a little awkward to me. Usually diagonals in an image make it a lot more dynamic, though this looks nice and iconic to me =)
    Rob Powell: Keep in mind the rule of thirds when making up an image. Did you go for a square shape for the book cover intentionally? I feel like books for an older audience usually have roughly A4 proportions.
    tempest-haze: Just a little note: as far as I know the book cover can depict a specific event of the Ragnarok but the book is still about the whole event. Really minor issue since it's only the title but I thought I'd mention it =) As for the image itself, I really like the composition. I'm not sure if the idea is acceptable but I've always liked the personification of inanimate objects so I like it =) (Besides, with them explaining natural occurrences with gods I guess it's the whole thing they do with mythology) Fenrir does look a bit passive to me though, not at all like he's ready to go and swallow the Sun.
    Whiskey Sour: Nice composition and incorporation of multiple events! Watch your anatomy though. Right now Thor looks a little like a beggar with a bloated torso and those skinny arms. Be sure to give him lots of muscle. After all, he has to wield that super heavy hammer.
    jagder: Love it. Great composition and colours, can't add much more. Looking forward to the finished piece!
    jpacer: Your biggest rough on the left there looks a little clumsy to me. You can incorporate multiple events but you still need some kind of pleasing overall image. The eye likes to be guided through an image through lines and lighting. In that respect I like the other two roughs much better.
    grenogs: Love the image so far, I'm just not sure about the border. I feel like the graphic designers etc. would feel way more limited with their lettering. Maybe you could make it a little less thick.
    Misplacedhippos: First one to go for a more cartoony look it seems, curious to see what you come up with!
    dierat: Sounds like a good book cover idea to me, it just sounds like it would be a very busy book cover, so you'd have to watch your colours and values to make sure it stays readable. Plus, you need enough time to finish it! Hope you can though =)
    Dreoilin: I'm leaning towards Thor and Fenrir, but I am incredibly biased. Though for a book cover I think I like your first composition best, I'd just look for a way to make Thor a bit more dynamic and energetic looking. It's a war after all.

--

Alright, update of my own! Rough stuff, I like the first one most atm.
    IOW #2 - Ragnarok Book CoverIOW #2 - Ragnarok Book CoverIOW #2 - Ragnarok Book Cover

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rengin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aand the finals thread is up. Two days left, good sirs and sirees.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ugg after working frantically all night long to try and finish the lineart this is what I've got- it needs a lot of cleaning up, and I'm not even sure I like it anymore lol

Rengin: yeah I'm thinking I should have gone with the first compositon probably *sigh* I'm loving all of yours- but the first one is my favorite, it's very dramatic and eye catching

Ramariel: I love what you're doing with Fenrir so far! Really cool! Odin's pose could be a little more interesting though, something seems awkward to me about the way he's just falling straight down into Fenrir's mouth.

Rob Powell: looking good! I agree though, his head could be a bit smaller- that will help make his body look more muscular and bulked up as well

tempest-haze: Thanks! I'm wishing I had gone with Thor and the serpent now lol, but it's a little too late for this round. I'll definitely be finishing that one on my own time though! I really like the idea your going with of the personifying the sun!! Most unique thing yet I think Maybe Fenrir could be a little more dark and menacing?

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreoilin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Odin and fenrir. Going to try some quick values now.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonas_J For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update, got some half decent reference for this to work out the lighting etc... also dropped the border for now, if i have time i might add it later.

Last edited by grenogs; August 21st, 2011 at 04:08 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to grenogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its 2 o'clock in the morning in Australia, i hope me gots enough times to finish dis tamara be4 work giggle giggle,

P.s most of you guys have got great solid action scenes down me likes

the red text is just to see if my composition is in the right place, i hope i can get this done for tomorrow seriously, i love this topic been reading thor comics for years . . . . . . . found out about this activity like a few hours ago and im like its now or never!!!!

EDIT: : time is not on my hands gonna have to skip this week again unfortunately.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Things I Do Weekly -- sketchbook

Wasted - The game's production sketchbook

Ctrl+Paint, a place for beginners, many helpful videos!
    - - - - - - - - - -

Last edited by AdrianNagorski; August 20th, 2011 at 03:56 AM. Reason: added wip 2 image

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback!

Rengin: really cool dynamic roughs you have so far, I can definitely feel the action.

After some more tweaking:

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ramariel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I won't have time to finish it but I thought I'd post my rough WIP. Never done an illustration before and my anatomy/values suck so this kind of thing would take me forever, but it's fun to give it a go instead of just plain old studies all the time. Had trouble with the anatomy as I was trying to work out the poses in my head because I couldn't find references (really need to buy a manikin), so it's a bit all over the place. Would like to add more things to it, fight with the hell hound, frost giants + hell creatures vs. the glorious dead, the guy blowing the trumpet, etc, but am a bit out of my depth with this one tbh. Still it's fun! Wanted to represent the events as symbols. Got Fenrir attacking Odin, Odin's Son lunging at Fenrir (kills him with his bare hands), world tree burning, sutr vs... that guy whose name I forget, and they kill each other. And Loki and Odin leading the armies on each side (wanted to try and get the armies in but not exactly sure how). And then Thor and the snake. Oh and that round thing in the middle is the nordic sun (one interpretation I found of it anyway, slightly modified) and wanted to show that scorching the earth, but not sure how. I'm relatively happy with it so far, except for thor, can't get the pose right.

Really great WIPs from you guys. I especially like Dreoilin's, looks very Nordic, just the sort of style they would want I think.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to k_lewis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not going to be able to work on this IOW or the next anymore due to being away from home =( Maybe a quick one-day piece will come out of it when I'm back. But, I had to leave some comments here !

k_lewis: Looks like a lot of work! You seem well underway though. Maybe you could make the whole Yggdrasil tree a big tree in the background, to fill up the page a lot more without having to think of something completely new for the background. Have fun!
    Ramariel: Great improvement! Just remember to leave some room at the top for the title =) Love the colours!
    AdrianNagorski: Not sure how much research you've done, but usually it's a good idea to keep a book or webpage open to look up some iconic references that you could include in the illustration to make it more interesting =)
    grenogs: Really looks like an eyecatcher! Curious to see it finished =)
    Braintree: Looks good! Fenrir's paws look pretty small compared to his head though.
    Dreoilin: Actually you made it work for me! I didn't like Odin's position in your first sketch, and he looks waayyyy better now. Fenrir looks awesome too!

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rengin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tempest-haze: really cool idea, looks like a potentially good book cover as well, we'll see how this turns out

Ramariel: Very cool, I like how you achieved a beastly scale for fenrir, the broken strings are a nice touch as well

Fumble: Thnx for pointing that out, was actually thinking it may have been to bug as well. You have a good start going, but I'm little unsure atm what is going on, but we'll see when this progresses

Rengin: It wasn't intentional to have it closer to a square shape, just started scribbling on what I had, plans are to crop it later on and remove some of the right side so it looks taller. You've got some really cool thumb here with Odin and fenrir, I'm favouring the left composition the most

Dreoilin: Thnx. I'm liking where this is going, I think this is going to turn out quite awesome, because your style suits the Nordic myths

Braintree: Looks promising, though I'd rather see Odin with his spear than a sword, because he is about as well known with a spear as Thor is with his Hammer, I agree about the paws though, I'd also make Fenrir larger so we can get a grasp of how terrible he is.

grenogs: looks like this will be a pretty neat scene, interesting to see what will be added to the background, and how it'll look with the border.

AdrianNagorski: I am a bit consuded whish event is being portrayed, because I don't recognize that green character on the right, try to start using hard edged brushes for rendrig, because the soft brushes your using don't really idicate their form all that well and it makes them look quite blurry.

k lewis: Pretty much what Rengin said, make Yggdrasil bigger on the page, remember this isa tree that holds the 9 realms so it is going to be very cosmically large

EDIT: so I don't spam, here's my progress, slowly but surely getting the values to where I want them to be, values on Jormungand's head is almost done, might put animal fur on Thor's back to make him seem more viking and less Conan/Tarzan, alsomade his head a bit smaller, changed Mjollnir's design, fixed some anatomy isses (that are still there x_X) and started rendering Jormungand's coils a bit, still needs scales which I'm not really looking forward to drawing, but it must be done and the outcome will be well worth the long-ness of the drawing-ness...X6
    Name:  Thor v Jormungand copy.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  234.8 KB

Last edited by Rob Powell; August 21st, 2011 at 12:01 AM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hela rises as Asgard crumbles in the background, Thor trying to retrieve Mjölnir.

no way i can finish this with a hour to go before i gotta leave for work, real jobs sigh . . .

- - - - - - - - - -
    Things I Do Weekly -- sketchbook

Wasted - The game's production sketchbook

Ctrl+Paint, a place for beginners, many helpful videos!
    - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks like i'm out of this one, somethings come up and it looks like i will not have time to finish this today. Good luck everyone, some nice work being produced here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Rengin and Rob, never been good with bgs. Another WIP, definitely not going to have time to finish it, way beyond my skills to render this anyway. Still haven't sorted out thor which is why he is missing. Gonna keep working on this and hopefully when I have figured out this digital painting jazz can put some colour to it at some later date.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just to be clear the deadline is in approximately 7 1/2 hrs?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some WIPs. Not sure if its necessary to post them in here but that's what I got from reading the instruction so here it is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like i run out of time on this one, main figure is pretty much done, but wasn't able to get the valkyries in, so i'm out. I must remember to finish these before the weekends, lol. Anyway, good luck everyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.