Fluffy mane

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Fluffy mane

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fluffy mane

Hi-
    This time I really tried LOOKING at my reference photos. And it made a huge difference, I'm just staring out defining the shape and color of the hair.

Any comments and advice is very welcome.

(Yes, one of the nails got a weird color. Got to fix that.)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In my opinion this is a VAST improvement over your last painting. Better choice of references this time around and I like the optical blending that's going on well over the soft and deliberate blending that I felt was hurting your contrast.

I still think you should play more with shadow color versus light color. The most common advice you're likely to hear is "shadows are cooler than light" and that's not bad advice to follow (though not always true or appropriate). If you created say- a multiply layer- and then glazed over it very lightly with a high valued blue... Or you could just as easily take a soft light layer (or any of the other "glaze over layers") and put a little more orange or yellow into the light areas. Remember, while you're doing this kind of thing you can always pull back the opacity of your layer if it gets out of hand to make any effect less drastic.

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Quigleyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you. It nice to hear that I'm improving. I think this is the first time i really get what people mean with optical blending.

I gave your suggestion a try and it turned out really well even if it still needs some tweaking. I also tried using a blue background, but I'm not sure about how I feel about that yet. I might switch back do brown for more monochromatic look. Unless someone has a great suggestion. Either way I just realized I needed a softer background with a more paint like look.

Last edited by w176; August 15th, 2011 at 02:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more work done, trying out a green background to echo the eye color.

Last edited by w176; August 16th, 2011 at 10:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by w176 View Post
    Some more work done, trying out a green background to echo the eye color.
    And to contrast those redder lights, right?

Either way, good choice in my opinion. Don't stop, keep going until you're done with it, it's going well. No crits from me right now.

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Quigleyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, this is a vast improvement from your last few posts!! nice work. Remember to pay attention to the specular highlights in the skin, most noticeable the forehead where the light source is strongest as well as the skin just over the ulna of the arm. Keep it up, can't wait to see the finished product!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to abone114 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much. I love the advice I get here, but there is something extremely encouraging but just being told to keep going. You two made my day. And I will pay attention to the highlights.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, now I feel that I'm approving being done with the pictures. There still some problem areas like the eyebrows that I'm not sure how to fix. There eyes are getting a bit "lost" and I'm not sure if I should consider this a feature or a bug. I tried adding some green tones to the picture as well as a weak green secondary lighting.

And the hair. I'm not sure about the hair. I think i want to add some dark strands. But I'm not sure if I want to add any more detail that that to it. And I'm not sure of the highlight should be lighter, or of I should leave is as it is. Or how i should add the, by adding small lighter stands or making the whole areas lighter? ARRRGH... There is a lot of things about the hair I'm not sure about basically.

Yet I must say I'm very pleased with the picture over all. It is my best work so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're doing a really great job so far. I love faces, so hopefully my paintover will help

The biggest thing you have going on is with your color. Skin color is affected by lighting, the color of clothes they're wearing, blood and bone underneath it, etc. You have a little bit of a change from the shadows to the lighter portion, but it still comes off brownish overall and a little dead. Inject life by using color banding, which you can find explained here: http://karinwells.blogspot.com/2008/...rtraiture.html

Name:  wtf_po.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  302.0 KB

I did some soft light and multiply layers to apply a little color variation and introduce the bands. Your most saturated colors will generally be at the edges of your shadows. Then I did a normal layer with some additional shading to help give her forehead, knuckles, and chest some dimension. The issue wasn't with her eyebrows but her brow bone - in females it's not very exaggerated, but there is a slight raise there that will catch some light, especially from this angle and lighting scheme. If you look carefully at your reference you'll see it. I also introduced a little cool color into her fingers and fingernails.

As for the hair, you're on the right track. Keep in mind that it's not a well behaved animal unless the subject of your painting is a fan of strong hair gel. You don't have to add a ton of individual strands to make it convincing, but make sure they're not all following the same shape and direction of the larger masses. And add some shorter strands near the hair line and face, particularly at the part. I also let her hair in some sections "fade" into the background a bit.

When it comes to painting brown hair, I tend to stick to reds and burgundy-purples for shadows and yellow oranges for highlights. Depending on the lighting scheme, of course

I wish I had the time to go all-out on a paintover, but I hope this helps!

Last edited by Sentinel.; August 17th, 2011 at 07:33 AM.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sentinel. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much for taking the care to make the beautiful overpaint. I tried to take you advice to heart ands studied the overpaint and leared a lot trying to learn as much as possible for it.

I tried to handle it in this way (writing this mostly for my own sake so I remember it):

• First I duplicated the skin layers in a more and a less saturated version, and used a layer mask to get more and less saturated areas.
    • Then I worked on the skin, bringing out the throat and eyebrows. And the nails.
    • The I did the color band in color layers with low opacity. (Great link btw.)
    • Using the colors you recommended I worked on the hair shape and then the individual strands.
    • Added some lilac tones to all the shaded and had shaded areas in a soft light layer.
    • And finally adjusted contrast, an color balance etc.

And unless someone else has some more fantastic advice to offer, I think I'm done. And very happy both with the help I gotten as well as the result.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.