Learning figure drawing, where to start ?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    122
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Learning figure drawing, where to start ?

    I want to learn figure drawing but totally confused on where to start. I Have lots of meterial but not able to find a start.

    I need some help or perhaps a mentor to guide me on correct and effective way of figure drawing.

    Thanks in advance.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    819
    Thanks
    397
    Thanked 796 Times in 280 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    You learn figure drawing by drawing figures.

    Doesn't Google exist anymore? find a life drawing class in your area, start with the line of action and the centre line (where the centre of weight distribution is.) Work and research your way up from there.



    Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Beeston For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Moncton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    382
    Thanks
    285
    Thanked 305 Times in 135 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    This thread seems like a good opportunity to ask this question:

    A couple of years ago somebody had shown me a website where you could pose 3D models how you wanted, rotate them, etc... even set up a timer so you could do some speed figure drawings with different poses. I googled and hunted around CA but couldn't find that website. So if anybody knows it or knows of something similar I'd like to have that link again.

    EDIT: Embarrassing, found it right after I asked! It's http://www.posemaniacs.com/ which might also be helpful to the OP if there are no figure drawing classes in his area. Of course, from life is always better.


    We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.
    - Ray Bradbury
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    819
    Thanks
    397
    Thanked 796 Times in 280 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I was about to post Posemaniacs, but the problem is that they're 3D models with limited skinning capabilities that can't actually replicate the deformations found in the forms of actual human beings in life studes.

    Posemaniacs is a last resort if you absolutely can't find a decent life drawing session every week.



    Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Haifa, Israel
    Posts
    4,192
    Thanks
    2,384
    Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Start by learning to draw a cube in perspective. Then a cylinder. Then something more complicated, gradually, till you have enough skill in constructive drawing and perspective that you can begin drawing people.

    Don't use 3D models, draw real people. 3D models aren't in any way like the real thing even if right now you cannot tell the difference.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    122
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I think there are some things I should clarify. First of the very first reply wasn't supporting at all. If google answered all of my questions there wasn't any point of existence of this forum at all.

    Secondly I know the basics of perspective, Line, Colour, Value etc and I practice drawing on paper, But when it comes to figure drawing I am stuck at the start.

    I am finding a good path to learning, may not be perfect but at least it will save me a lot of time beating about the bush.

    PS: There are no art classes in my area, I can't get a model to draw. All I am able to do is to learn by books and references.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    858
    Thanks
    350
    Thanked 286 Times in 234 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Get Drawing Essentials by Deborah Rockman

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,759
    Thanks
    2,682
    Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,397 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NajamQ View Post
    I think there are some things I should clarify. First of the very first reply wasn't supporting at all. If google answered all of my questions there wasn't any point of existence of this forum at all.

    Secondly I know the basics of perspective, Line, Colour, Value etc and I practice drawing on paper, But when it comes to figure drawing I am stuck at the start.

    I am finding a good path to learning, may not be perfect but at least it will save me a lot of time beating about the bush.

    PS: There are no art classes in my area, I can't get a model to draw. All I am able to do is to learn by books and references.
    Usually people who say they know the basics really don't because basics train your hand and eye; drawing a person is not different than drawing anything else; its just a series of marks on paper.

    If you try to learn to draw people from books then you are going to short change yourself. Get a cheap wardrobe mirror and practice that way from life while you are learning from books. Go out and sketch people at coffee shops, parks, etc. Sketching from life is essential. You cannot learn to draw the figure convincingly only from books . Your work will always look inferior when compared to someone who has the initiative to draw from life.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    122
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Ok I am looking at some resources. Loomis is mainly following the Head Count method which I think is time tested a reliable method. However there is also Reilly's Method too which emphasize on gestures.

    Now what should I follow to learn the basics. Does Reilly's Method should be used on top of Head Count or vice versa ?.

    What I am trying to do here is to get a general sense of proportions on paper as well as placing figure in space with perspective.

    The Book "Figure Drawing for all its Worth" by Loomis is excellent and I am studying it. I also have another copy of Vilppu's Figure drawing manual which uses gestures to teach the figure drawing.

    Well my target is Character design rather than Comics. What do you recommend should I follow. Loomis or Vilppu.

    I am in no place to question the authority of both authors. Doing that would be a suicide in art .

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    96
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 18 Times in 9 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Maybe it doesn't matter all that much which author you follow or which book is better then the other for drawing heads or finger nails. Why not buy both and take what you find works best. Figure drawing is a problem that you need to solve and I don't think there is a book or author that will do it all for you.

    They certainly help. Maybe go to a bookstore, open up some anatomy books, and pick the one that makes the most sense to you.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    798
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked 218 Times in 173 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    http://lovecastle.org/draw/

    Use this.. draw, and dont stop

    -We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

    -Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

    My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to The Jeso For This Useful Post:


  17. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    122
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rem92 View Post
    http://lovecastle.org/draw/

    Use this.. draw, and dont stop
    Thanks for excellent share.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  18. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    122
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorromog View Post
    Maybe it doesn't matter all that much which author you follow or which book is better then the other for drawing heads or finger nails. Why not buy both and take what you find works best. Figure drawing is a problem that you need to solve and I don't think there is a book or author that will do it all for you.

    They certainly help. Maybe go to a bookstore, open up some anatomy books, and pick the one that makes the most sense to you.
    Well I am practising the exercises both author's recommend with improvement with each iteration. Lets see how far I can go without losing patience .

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  19. #14
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,212
    Thanks
    4,879
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NajamQ View Post
    Ok I am looking at some resources. Loomis is mainly following the Head Count method which I think is time tested a reliable method. However there is also Reilly's Method too which emphasize on gestures.

    Now what should I follow to learn the basics. Does Reilly's Method should be used on top of Head Count or vice versa ?.

    What I am trying to do here is to get a general sense of proportions on paper as well as placing figure in space with perspective.

    The Book "Figure Drawing for all its Worth" by Loomis is excellent and I am studying it. I also have another copy of Vilppu's Figure drawing manual which uses gestures to teach the figure drawing.

    Well my target is Character design rather than Comics. What do you recommend should I follow. Loomis or Vilppu.

    I am in no place to question the authority of both authors. Doing that would be a suicide in art .
    Doesn't matter. They're complementary, not contradictory. All teach an essentially constructive approach, the differences are just of emphasis. Take whatever way in seems to make the most sense to you.


    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:


  21. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    143
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 56 Times in 56 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I'd like to pop this question in here:

    How do you get over staring at people? I bring my sketchbook with me almost everywhere I go, but I tend to get nasty looks from people if I look at them for more than a second.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  22. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    HELLsinki, Finland
    Posts
    4,860
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by KONM View Post
    I'd like to pop this question in here:

    How do you get over staring at people? I bring my sketchbook with me almost everywhere I go, but I tend to get nasty looks from people if I look at them for more than a second.
    Sunglasses may help, but also consider where you are drawing people. If in a cafe, try to get into a corner where most people have less reason to look (like, not under a clock) or nicely to the side from the cashier so you can draw people while they stand in line and look at the menus (and the cashiers). Also in bus/train stations people tend to be making sure they won't miss their bus an have less reason to both move and glance around to even notice you. In libraries you can snipe-draw people between the shelves when they're concentrated on reading etc etc... You must be an art ninja, be one with the shadows and your surroundings and blend so well that no one will even notice you drawing them... or then practice looking back even more nastily. Or maybe counter their looks with a smile.
    But these are just what I have noticed here.

    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  23. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,759
    Thanks
    2,682
    Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,397 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by KONM View Post
    I'd like to pop this question in here:

    How do you get over staring at people? I bring my sketchbook with me almost everywhere I go, but I tend to get nasty looks from people if I look at them for more than a second.
    Maybe this will help you
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=178075

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  24. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    2,906
    Thanks
    254
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    In my experience people really don't mind if they see you drawing them. Once they know you're just drawing rather than staring at them for skeevy reasons, most will just go back to what they're doing. It's an unusual thing to do, so it's natural for them to notice at first.

    The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

    My online portfolio

    Bloggity blog

    "Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 5

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook