Learning figure drawing, where to start ?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Learning figure drawing, where to start ?

I want to learn figure drawing but totally confused on where to start. I Have lots of meterial but not able to find a start.

I need some help or perhaps a mentor to guide me on correct and effective way of figure drawing.

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You learn figure drawing by drawing figures.

Doesn't Google exist anymore? find a life drawing class in your area, start with the line of action and the centre line (where the centre of weight distribution is.) Work and research your way up from there.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Beeston For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread seems like a good opportunity to ask this question:

A couple of years ago somebody had shown me a website where you could pose 3D models how you wanted, rotate them, etc... even set up a timer so you could do some speed figure drawings with different poses. I googled and hunted around CA but couldn't find that website. So if anybody knows it or knows of something similar I'd like to have that link again.

EDIT: Embarrassing, found it right after I asked! It's http://www.posemaniacs.com/ which might also be helpful to the OP if there are no figure drawing classes in his area. Of course, from life is always better.

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.
    - Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was about to post Posemaniacs, but the problem is that they're 3D models with limited skinning capabilities that can't actually replicate the deformations found in the forms of actual human beings in life studes.

Posemaniacs is a last resort if you absolutely can't find a decent life drawing session every week.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Start by learning to draw a cube in perspective. Then a cylinder. Then something more complicated, gradually, till you have enough skill in constructive drawing and perspective that you can begin drawing people.

Don't use 3D models, draw real people. 3D models aren't in any way like the real thing even if right now you cannot tell the difference.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think there are some things I should clarify. First of the very first reply wasn't supporting at all. If google answered all of my questions there wasn't any point of existence of this forum at all.

Secondly I know the basics of perspective, Line, Colour, Value etc and I practice drawing on paper, But when it comes to figure drawing I am stuck at the start.

I am finding a good path to learning, may not be perfect but at least it will save me a lot of time beating about the bush.

PS: There are no art classes in my area, I can't get a model to draw. All I am able to do is to learn by books and references.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get Drawing Essentials by Deborah Rockman

Thanks
    Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,397 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NajamQ View Post
    I think there are some things I should clarify. First of the very first reply wasn't supporting at all. If google answered all of my questions there wasn't any point of existence of this forum at all.

Secondly I know the basics of perspective, Line, Colour, Value etc and I practice drawing on paper, But when it comes to figure drawing I am stuck at the start.

I am finding a good path to learning, may not be perfect but at least it will save me a lot of time beating about the bush.

PS: There are no art classes in my area, I can't get a model to draw. All I am able to do is to learn by books and references.
    Usually people who say they know the basics really don't because basics train your hand and eye; drawing a person is not different than drawing anything else; its just a series of marks on paper.

If you try to learn to draw people from books then you are going to short change yourself. Get a cheap wardrobe mirror and practice that way from life while you are learning from books. Go out and sketch people at coffee shops, parks, etc. Sketching from life is essential. You cannot learn to draw the figure convincingly only from books . Your work will always look inferior when compared to someone who has the initiative to draw from life.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok I am looking at some resources. Loomis is mainly following the Head Count method which I think is time tested a reliable method. However there is also Reilly's Method too which emphasize on gestures.

Now what should I follow to learn the basics. Does Reilly's Method should be used on top of Head Count or vice versa ?.

What I am trying to do here is to get a general sense of proportions on paper as well as placing figure in space with perspective.

The Book "Figure Drawing for all its Worth" by Loomis is excellent and I am studying it. I also have another copy of Vilppu's Figure drawing manual which uses gestures to teach the figure drawing.

Well my target is Character design rather than Comics. What do you recommend should I follow. Loomis or Vilppu.

I am in no place to question the authority of both authors. Doing that would be a suicide in art .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe it doesn't matter all that much which author you follow or which book is better then the other for drawing heads or finger nails. Why not buy both and take what you find works best. Figure drawing is a problem that you need to solve and I don't think there is a book or author that will do it all for you.

They certainly help. Maybe go to a bookstore, open up some anatomy books, and pick the one that makes the most sense to you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://lovecastle.org/draw/

Use this.. draw, and dont stop

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

16. The Following User Says Thank You to The Jeso For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rem92 View Post
    http://lovecastle.org/draw/

Use this.. draw, and dont stop
    Thanks for excellent share.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorromog View Post
    Maybe it doesn't matter all that much which author you follow or which book is better then the other for drawing heads or finger nails. Why not buy both and take what you find works best. Figure drawing is a problem that you need to solve and I don't think there is a book or author that will do it all for you.

They certainly help. Maybe go to a bookstore, open up some anatomy books, and pick the one that makes the most sense to you.
    Well I am practising the exercises both author's recommend with improvement with each iteration. Lets see how far I can go without losing patience .

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NajamQ View Post
    Ok I am looking at some resources. Loomis is mainly following the Head Count method which I think is time tested a reliable method. However there is also Reilly's Method too which emphasize on gestures.

Now what should I follow to learn the basics. Does Reilly's Method should be used on top of Head Count or vice versa ?.

What I am trying to do here is to get a general sense of proportions on paper as well as placing figure in space with perspective.

The Book "Figure Drawing for all its Worth" by Loomis is excellent and I am studying it. I also have another copy of Vilppu's Figure drawing manual which uses gestures to teach the figure drawing.

Well my target is Character design rather than Comics. What do you recommend should I follow. Loomis or Vilppu.

I am in no place to question the authority of both authors. Doing that would be a suicide in art .
    Doesn't matter. They're complementary, not contradictory. All teach an essentially constructive approach, the differences are just of emphasis. Take whatever way in seems to make the most sense to you.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd like to pop this question in here:

How do you get over staring at people? I bring my sketchbook with me almost everywhere I go, but I tend to get nasty looks from people if I look at them for more than a second.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by KONM View Post

How do you get over staring at people? I bring my sketchbook with me almost everywhere I go, but I tend to get nasty looks from people if I look at them for more than a second.
    Sunglasses may help, but also consider where you are drawing people. If in a cafe, try to get into a corner where most people have less reason to look (like, not under a clock) or nicely to the side from the cashier so you can draw people while they stand in line and look at the menus (and the cashiers). Also in bus/train stations people tend to be making sure they won't miss their bus an have less reason to both move and glance around to even notice you. In libraries you can snipe-draw people between the shelves when they're concentrated on reading etc etc... You must be an art ninja, be one with the shadows and your surroundings and blend so well that no one will even notice you drawing them... or then practice looking back even more nastily. Or maybe counter their looks with a smile.
    But these are just what I have noticed here.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,397 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by KONM View Post

Maybe this will help you
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=178075

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    In my experience people really don't mind if they see you drawing them. Once they know you're just drawing rather than staring at them for skeevy reasons, most will just go back to what they're doing. It's an unusual thing to do, so it's natural for them to notice at first.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Members who have read this thread: 5