C&C - the scottish knight
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: C&C - the scottish knight

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

C&C - the scottish knight

Hi again.
    I am trying to polish both my characters and my skill to do a realistic painting. Or at least realistic believable, it doesnt have to be foto like.

So here is where I am right now.
    A scottish knight in the highlands.

I find this foggy atmosphere surprisingly hard to do.
    When you just use one greyish color it looks dull, so you have to mix in all different kind of very soft nuances to make it vibrant and believable.

Right now the kilt and how the heavy cloth folds over the knee gives me the most problems.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The composition looks good to me, though u should get some reference for the figure, fix that arm in the shadow as well as the folds and the leg to the left. Work on soft and hard edges in the edge to establish your focal points. The value structure looks good, and I like how you placed emphasis on the head by putting it in front of a light background.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Heavens For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Values, composition and figure are looking correct. I'd say keep going. There isnt really a lot going on, and its not a very dynamic energetic scene, but I dont think that was what you where wanting to do here, so its ok. Make sure you reference the period clothing and really knock us out with those boots. Bah Dum Dumt.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maggietoh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Throw in some bagpipes and a bottle of scotch hanging off him somewhere and you got yourself a picture.

Sketchbook: There and Back again Updated- 7/04/12

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MatthewHD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right now I am kinda frustrated with this one.
    Too much "not knowing".

I wish I had visited one of the great art schools in US... or at least have had a teacher at all that would be worth meantoning. ^^

The part on the ribcage started to feel a little better, and went into a good direction. Is it just me or is digital painting way more exhausting than traditional ?

I tried to come closer to the folding and lifted the skirt up. Usually its a little more than knee long. So I will work on this some more tomorrow. Hopefully it will be done than.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally, I liked the first better...particularly the long hair. The cloth draping over the shoulder looks good though and I still like the composition. Throughout the refinement process, I think you're losing a lot of the things that made the original look good.

For some reason, the arms seem a bit too small. Did you make the head bigger? Also, the right leg, the one closest to the tree, looks too long.

I really would like to see this one completed, but closer to what you had in the original.

My Sketchbook: Criticisms and Feedback needed

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep the long hair.

Sketchbook: There and Back again Updated- 7/04/12

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the values are looking good and I have no problem with the composition, but the guy in the second WIP looks a bit more rigid than someone trying to hold himself up.

Also, few niggling things about the clothing. The kilt is pleated in a very specific way and wouldn't drape like a skirt, the sporran is in the wrong place and he doesn't have a sgian dubh on him. So to me right now he doesn't look scottish, rather a bloke in a skirt.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.
    My Sketchbook.
    My Tumblr.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, the pose feels a bit more stiff now than in the first version. It looks like his back is straight as a plank - remember the sway of the spine. I think his legs are too long, and quite off, to be honest. His lower right leg is much longer than his thigh, while his left leg is very stiff.

I think you toned down the colours of his clothes too much. There's barely any contrast in it now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You need to get the anatomy right before you start painting, the first picture (IMO) is the better of the two.
    The bent leg is too short (even with the hinted at foreshortening) and the arms are a little short.
    Thats one brave Scotsman to be out with no shirt on
    Ref will help loads.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bish0p2004: Thats my biggest issue. I can do a lot of nice sketches, but when I have to work it out it all becomes stiff and clean.

MatthewHD: I just removed them for a better check on the head. ^^

Caspia: So that how that stuff is called. ^^ I planned them in but removed them to better work on the overall look. And that the sporran is on the side is a personal idea.

Benjaminba: Tried to bend him over some more.

Venger: It looked right with my first sketch, but than it changed so much, that I cant use it anymore. ^^

So another step: Moving the arms, longer arms, wider chest, resizing the leg and working on the kilt, bending him over and trying to adjust the color.
    The face still looks wrong and I dont know how to render the kilt, neck and leg.

PS: Dont say something about the tree, I work on that later.

I would like it to look more like this: (Chris Rahn)
    http://www.rahnart.com/ColdSteel.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work. I really like the concept and composition. My thoughts:

Some indication of the back side of the kilt under the sword I think would make that area look less flat. And the way the leg is currently it's not clear (to me) that it's pointing forward. I think in that pose it would feel more natural for the leg to be pointing more to the left. I made a quick paintover to demonstrate what I mean.

Another thing that troubles me is the shape of the head. It looked much better and more natural with the hair as it was at the beginning.

Lastly, the tree branch should, in my opinion, be thicker since it's supporting part of his weight.

Hope it helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @THEMike: Thanks, you are right.

I reread some tutorials about rendering, surface planes and edges. I think that helped a little. So here where it is right now.

The head feals kind strange.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's looking better than the last two attempts, but the character still lacks the looseness of the first, which you've mentioned you have issues with...as do I. I think the best way to solve the issue is to really draw out the character as much as you can, then render the character, leaving the original drawing lines visible until you are close to finish.

There are still quite a few anatomical issues...the arms seem too short (maybe it's a foreshortening problem which I think someone already mentioned), and the body on the right side (where the sword and sheath are) is too straight.

My Sketchbook: Criticisms and Feedback needed

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, the 1st one is by far the best, the rest look like actors posing "dramatically". Go back and get the anatomy before you paint :-)

D'Arcy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bish0p2004:
    Yea, the damn looseness... how do the pros do it ? My pieces always become dead and I dont know why. I cant just let it remain as a sketch...

justa:
    The anatomy again ^^ I think I will have to take a breath and do a step back. I thougt I had the anatomy down already, but the body kinda' moves when I paint and it changes. ^^

Oh yea, this is the initial concept after which I draw him.

Members who have read this thread: 1