WIP Hercules vs titans

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP Hercules vs titans

My latest effort,
    Hercules vs titans
    WIP Hercules vs titans
    Bigger view if you want ro see details:
    http://inkorpora.com/images/Hercules...20titansv2.jpg

Thanks for any comments

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Composition wise, what I would do is emphasis Hercules more, the titans just don't look all that menacing. Try thinking of different compositions instead of jumping into one finished sketch.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Capt Surge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, I think you're right about the titans not being menacing enough. I'll work on that. I agree the composition needs work. I thinking changing the dragon, crop some parts of the picture out. I'm planning to give hercule's Javelin's an electric glow with some smallish thunder coming out. I thought this might help bring him out. The orange glow of the dragon's fire would then be the contrasting color.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an update on the piece I'm working on:
    I tried to make the titans more menacing and cropped it in a more traditional composition. Thanks for any comment.

Hercules vs titans
    WIP Hercules vs titans
    Details:
    http://inkorpora.com/images/Hercules...20titansv4.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that left side is getting really, really cramped and busy. Hercules needs to stand out because he's currently completely overshadowed by the stuff around him, there is no contrast to make him pop out. Also, it may be just me but lighting seems inconsistent.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to THEMike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, you need to rework the composition so that there is a focal point.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Capt Surge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys, I agree with you. I didn't really work the light yet, I'm mainly trying to get my shapes right, but as stated by Capt Surge I'm probably getting ahead of myself again. I feel that the lighting I have in mind will make the comp work. I'll do an overlay with the light I have in mind so that I can keep my shapes intact.
    Thanks for the crits

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Concept

Hey Ink,

You have some good skills developing in your drawing. The crit I offer to you is not in the drawing, the rendering, the sketching, forms, shading, etc..... The concept is weak. Hercule's vs. Titans. Be more specific in your concept and the moment you are attempting to capture. The concept is perhaps too vast to capture in a single image.

The good news is, you've succeeded in creating your original concept! However, Herc is a tiny little guy in the mass of titans that look like they're about to swat him like a fly. What could you say to shed some light on what you're really trying to create here?

Get specific about your idea -- What is Herc's action in the moment. He can only defeat one titan at a time, so pick a single titan for him to defeat, which will give your art and your audience clarity. We want art that says something. Would you agree?

Examples could be "Hercules thrusts his spear into the giant cyclops eye, the first in the army of titans that stand next in line." or an idea from Wikipedia -- "Heracles killed Antaeus the giant who was immortal while touching the earth, by picking him up and holding him in the air while strangling him."

Focus on a single moment in time that speaks to you and your passions about what or who Hercules struggles against. What is one of your favorite moments of the Hercule's stories you would like to share with us?

Good going!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jleyerle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much for the great insight. It makes a lot of sense. Can't do much for this piece as I'm almost finished but I'll definetly keep your advice in mind for my next project.

The story I was trying for is Hercules, with no concern for his own safety and overshadowed by the endless hordes of the titans (I'm making my own story here. Not following any existing storyline) is about to throw his spear at the leader, a giant dragon-type monster.

I'm joining an update on the color work

Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Not bad laddie.

Hokay! I've been working, coming back to this, then working, then coming back to this, so if things feel disconnected... You know why

But on to business. I know this is late in the process, but hell. I'll do it anyhow. I've not been on here in a few weeks. So damn busy.

While I like your concept, the actual execution is weak in various areas. It looks like you haven't quite though this whole design through very well. In terms of composition, it's weak, misbalanced, and there is no clear narrative. This may be personal, but it's still good to hear some other bastards critique.

Let's start with some minor stuff.

My problem with Herc right there is he looks like a girl, skipping through daisies, or more like those chinese fight films where the masters skip through the trees or one water sometimes, haha. That being said, it just felt too... girly? I know you're trying to show Herc is fighting with relative ease, but there are better, more dynamic ways to show that without making it look like he's skipping.

WIP Hercules vs titans

I also think you could have been more creative with the way he was moving, more fluid movements, better ways to interact with his opponents. In fact, many of your characters look seriously static. Those goblin things below? Look like their posing for a medal award ceremony. Some of your titans movements make no sense, and do not add value to the piece, and become detractors in keeping my eye on the page. There is no clear flow. I think you could have been tighter with the camera view, have more clearer dynamic movements and better thought out placing of your characters. Right now it's a jumbled mess with villains looking very out of place. Even your dragon, lizard, head thing looks really out of place. It's just kind of there.

WIP Hercules vs titans

Your perspective is wildly and annoyingly off. Unless you have some very strange or well placed elevations on your battlefield, it is not doing this image a good service. Based on where your foreground girl villain is, I've done some quick perspective lines. USE THEM IN THE FUTURE. I mistakingly thought the topless lady thing was our leader, but it turns out she isn't, my suggested pose might not be suitable. I hate the big background character. The one with the mouth of a senile old man, hulking over everyone. His torso disappears into nothing. Look's like another one you kinda just threw in there. His body size and hulk also suggests he should be bigger if he wants to stand that high over everyone else, or he must be jumping off a small cliff to get that height.

Herc also needs more spotlight, right now, he blends in too much. Clarify who the MAIN opponents are, if it is the dragon head and herc, make that clearer.

Your anatomy is OK, but better muscle definition would be nice, rendering is pretty good to. Clear forms are a nice thing these days.

But, I want to see in the future, better flow, better poses, more thought in your composition, this is just slap stick. An effort to keep my eye on the page, clearer narrative and better hierarchy. Take a look at the God of War art, there are some great examples of the small puny human vs titan type battles.

www.devious-genius.com for more of my work!
    http://sweetchilliphil.deviantart.com To find my on Deviant Art!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sweetchilliphil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you! This gave me a lot to think about. I'll definitely keep in mind your cues. I'm not used to war scenes and I did get a bit lost in there. I'll check out the god of war concepts, good suggestion.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.