Brush Rotation w/o Wacom Art Pen?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Brush Rotation w/o Wacom Art Pen?

Hey all,

I've been wanting a way to change brush rotation rapidly and on the fly. Ideal would be to link it to the touchring on my Intuos 4. There's also this thing out there called a Power Mate by Griffin which can be mapped to any key stroke. BUT I haven't been able to find a keyboard command for brush rotation so I doubt it will work. (Rotation seems only to happen through the graphical interface under the brushes menu).

Can anyone recommend a hack or something to pull this off, or should I just go and buy the wacom art pen already? thanks in advance for any help guys

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've tried the art pen. Couple issues:

- The chisel tip doesn't seem to be able to be fixed in place, so you have to rely on the finger switch to determine the orientation of the pen. Maybe you can get used to it, but it drives me insane when the chisel tip can swivel around. Plus it's tiny.

- The pen grip is fatter than a standard I4 stylus. You may like it if you're a fan of pens like the Parker 51, but for me I prefer a smaller, lighter stylus.

- It doesn't really feel like a chisel marker at all.

- Only apps that support it that I'm aware of are PS/Painter/MyPaint (and in MyPaint's case it worked on the I4 that I tested but not on the Cintiq, possibly just a bug). Not sure about the rest like artrage/autodesk sketchbook etc I never really liked most of the other painting apps anyway.

I find it easier to just hotkey two brushes in PS/Sai, one chisel tipped fat and the other thin and just swap between the two as I work. I mean unless you can get it cheap I hardly think it's worth the price.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey sonic, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I had the I3 art pen and there were things I liked about it. Rotating on the fly helps you paint/think in terms of planes I found. But it had no finger switch, which was the dealbreaker for me. The I4 pen does have the switch, so I'm considering it.

Also, according to the Wacom site, the chisel tip can be swapped out for a regular tip (there should be spares of both type in the stand). That should help w/ the those frustrations you had about the chisel tip.

Quote Originally Posted by sonictk View Post
    unless you can get it cheap I hardly think it's worth the price.
    true, maybe I'll just look for a used one or something.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I actually like the pen and yes while it can only be fully utilized in certain applications, the fact it can double as another pen is also a plus.

I also owned the previous 6D art pen which I believe this pen is a better improvement.

Having a second pen is great when you want to utilize tool ID (ie your regular pen may be an inking pen, and you set this 6d art pen with brushes you use for painting) and it's good to go.

http://www.amazon.com/review/RQPAZA0...tag=&linkCode=

That was my review of the pen. I know that listing says "Currently unavailable" but it looks like it got relisted on Amazon (could be because the newer model is more compatible with the latest Cintiqs).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I actually like the pen and yes while it can only be fully utilized in certain applications, the fact it can double as another pen is also a plus.

I also owned the previous 6D art pen which I believe this pen is a better improvement.

Having a second pen is great when you want to utilize tool ID (ie your regular pen may be an inking pen, and you set this 6d art pen with brushes you use for painting) and it's good to go.

http://www.amazon.com/review/RQPAZA0...tag=&linkCode=

That was my review of the pen. I know that listing says "Currently unavailable" but it looks like it got relisted on Amazon (could be because the newer model is more compatible with the latest Cintiqs).

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I can't find relevant info.

Wacom art pen for intuos 4 / 5

I just bought myself a Cintiq 12wx with a regular intuos3 grip pen and 6d art pen. Never used an art pen before but it's amazing. Feels like a marker and I've enjoyed messing with it.

Anyhoo, I was reading (from your information)the intuos4 art pen is better because it has the eraser end. It's slightly fatter than the standard grip pen but has the felt type nibs the older 6d art pen used to.

My question is whether the art pen can be used as a regular stylus? I don't mind it being thicker and I love the idea of rotating the stylus around to vary line widths. If I could replace my original stylus completely I would go that route. If the art pen can function both like the art pen and the original grip pen then I could sell my small intuos5 to help fund my art pen purchase.

Not to confuse you, I have both intuos3 and intuos4 /5 cintiqs, knowing full well that the pens are not compatible.

It sounds strange, but I use the intuos5 pen for a Cintiq 21ux. The small intuos5 was bought because I thought the multi touch interface would be of use. Can I replace the intuos4 / 5 grip pen with the art pen with the art pen being able to transition to a normal pen with a smaller nib?

Thanks in advance.

Members who have read this thread: 3