Sketchbook: TheGiffMan's Sketchbook

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

TheGiffMan's Sketchbook

I'm very much an amateur - I work in software development, but have a soft spot in my heart for art. I started doing some digital painting in my spare time a few years ago, and found myself really enjoying it. Right now I'm working on a book for my oldest son Gideon - illustrating a story set to verse that my sister wrote for him (in which he is a medieval juggler who rescues the king from bandits). At my current rate, this children's book will make a wonderful high school graduation present, but I do really want to finish it.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi matey

Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt you say this was for your kids, I am just wondering because childrens illustration is a goal for me too.
    I just love the colours you use and the style its perfect for kids well done, and I really can't wait to see some more.
    I'm a fan and worse for you I have subscribed to your sketchbook so I can check it out on a regular basis and annoy you !! Lol

keep posting mate and see you soon.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've waited for this day. =D Subscribed, of course. When you finish your book, I'm totally buying a copy. The second illustration you posted is top-notch. Let's see some studies too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh - thanks guys! I'd love to get you a copy, Strato, when it comes out. You can do your part by bugging me incessantly to keep up the pace, so that it actually gets done (So don't apologize, Lightship). Here's what I need in the end:

1 Cover Illustration (11x17)
    7 Full page Illustrations (8.5x11)
    12 Smaller Figure Illustrations (6x6?) (no background - figures on white)

I should totally integrate doing studies into my workflow on these. It's getting better - one painting at a time.

Lightship, it is indeed a project for my oldest son (he just turned 7, so I gotta hurry!) I've got two more, and my sister has already written the story for the second one. When Gideon was a tiny little guy, he used to adore this juggler that performed in an outdoor mall court. My sister wrote a story set to verse that incorporated that love, some of Gideon's bluster on the one end and social awkwardness on the other (on the second point, he's like his father), and the meaning of his name ("mighty warrior") into the narrative. I'd been drawing ever since I could hold a pencil, and loved to occasionally make little cartoons and comics, but hadn't done anything with digital art. So I bought my first wacom tablet and gave it a try.

It took me almost a year to do the first image (the smithy one), and I'm a little frustrated that my first seems to be my most appealing (but then I guess the lighting is pretty strong and simple. Then I bought a Fujitsu tablet pc and was able to pick up the pace slightly. I work in computer graphics and studied computer science, so I've found that the theory behind painting color and light comes pretty naturally to me (a nice surprise as I started painting). But I've spent so much time making cartoony characters that I find that good 3d form drawing has become a weak spot.

Anyway, I'm almost halfway done. If I can finish it over the next year, I'll be thrilled.

Last edited by thegiffman; August 11th, 2011 at 11:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am in the same boat sort of, I have two boys (ages6 & 9) I have been telling them stories evey since they came home from the maternity unit, I have been trying to get good enough to illustrate a picture book for them, which is where all the gnomes stuff came from on my sketchbook. Then I found out that the format I thought I needed to use was wrong, although it was a 32 page book you dont get to use all 32 pages. Yes I know it sounds stupid now, but I was that excited to try I didnt do enough research on the subject. oh well lesson learnt I suppose.

Any way back to the point I will keep an eye on you mate and help you out as I can along the way, all you have to do in return is keep at it or I will bug the hell out of you !!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha enjoy it buddy and I shall keep an eye out for you.

all the best.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have you looked at lulu.com? If you need to bump up a few pages on a lot of the formats, it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi matey

I had a look at Lulu.com and twas most interesting sire! sorry in a funny or odd mood today, no idea why just am.

Hows the work coming along, I had a look in the WIP section and you were busy arguing with some guy, to which I would say just do what you feel is right man you've done ok so far.

all the best to you mate and keep working

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Going through Tom Bancroft's character mentor book, and doing some of the exercises.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 1