Sketchbook: Gestures, Figures, Faces, and Doodles: A Quest to get better at drawing.

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gestures, Figures, Faces, and Doodles: A Quest to get better at drawing.

So over the past couple of months I've really been making an effort to improve my personal art habits in general. One of the main things I've wanted to fix for myself is drawing much more regularly. Look at any list of advice for improving and you'll always see on that list "keep a sketchbook and draw in it every day! Draw often!" I have to admit that I have never been good with keeping up at it.

So last month I got in the habit of drawing much more regularly, starting with gestures and figures from photo references I've found online. I started doing them in my sketchbook, with pen or pencil, but then moved on to doing it digitally. Now I do both, and actually feel like the digital ones for the most part are better. I'm not going to scan and post every single page I do as it would be too time consuming, but here's all the digital stuff and a selection of my sketchbook, as well as some random doodles.

My goal with these figures is not so much being photorealistic or 100% accurate to the photo, but moreso getting a better handle on proportion and being able to draw better in general.

This is all over the past 2 months, and will be posting more as I finish more pages. I'm looking for any critique and advice I can get, and ideas on how I can improve my drawing. Thanks for browsing!

Attached Images Attached Images                    
    Last edited by JeiWo; August 19th, 2011 at 10:20 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some pages I scanned from my sketchbook the last couple months:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some new drawings from the week:

I've decided to try drawing a little bit bigger, which I think is a good idea, and forcing me to get more detail in the faces and hands/feet.

The bottom left one if the digital drawings is without a reference, which I felt decent about. Better than it would've looked 2 months ago, I think

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some new figures from this week. Been trying to spend a bit longer on each one, and pay attention to details such as hands/feet and faces more. These are about 15-20min, whereas the smaller ones are generally about 5 minutes. Nothing quite worth scanning from my sketchbook this week.

I also did some random sketches of Lost characters (since I've been watching the series lately). These were done from reference, either photos from the internet or screencaps I've taken while watching the show. I like a few of them, it's good practice for sure. Still trying to figure out the best way to draw digitally, feel like I'm getting closer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These sketches looks pretty good lively, painted with freedom.

Hard to find any anatomic issues at all, maybe one or two looks suspicious, but even than it looks like its intentional - so its ok.

Try to keep up the good work, just don't be lazy (as me for example he he), and you will be rewarded!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tsabu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man I'm loving your figure studies, they're so joyful and lively.
    If your area does happen to have live drawing sessions go to em, they can really help you out and can help you learn on body proportions and so on. Also if you draw all the figures in your sketchbook, re-draw them on whatever digital software you work on and try to add colour on em. Or even use the poses for yourself on what ever characters you have in mind, it can keep you inspired.

Sorry if it's a little to much but I hope it helps mate, Keep drawing your on the right path .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Silent-samurai87 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty good work in here. Your proportions are mostly there (as that's what you are working on)... sometimes a face will have the wrong angle on the head, etc.

I'm finding that large shapes are the key for me; if I can see them, good things happen

1) I don't have to measure as much, because my brain can grasp the shape and all I have to do is lay it in

2) Big shapes help with value/shading.

3) Big shapes are easy to compare to each other... it's much easier to see a mistake somewhere in the drawing once the shape is there.

4) Even if the anatomy is slightly off, if the shape looks right, the drawing will look solid.

Good luck and keep working!

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

11. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is really inspirational I'm going to subscribe because it looks like we're doing the same thing
    Although you're a LOT better than me
    Keep up the good work

Killadroid's Korner (my sketchbook)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Killadroid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tsabu- Thanks, I'm glad you like them! Ahh, laziness, my lifelong nemesis. Been a huge problem for me, but one I've been aiming to overcome, one drawing at a time. Good luck to you as well!

Silent-samurai87- Thanks, glad you like them! I used to do live figure drawing more often (especially when i was in college and had classes), but I haven't been in a couple months (was a tad expensive). I'm just really glad I found some figure drawing tools online with a ton of reference. I think the next step will be to add color like you said. I want to do it in a way that's quick and consistent, just as I feel like I'm getting decently quick and consistent at drawing figures with lines (and getting there with shading).

p sage- I totally agree with your method on finding the large shapes, it's one of the things one of my better college professors taught me that I've been trying to work on. I used to only focus on outside lines, and even know my work tends to be more line-based than form and volume based, but I have been trying to find the inside lines and shapes more, as well as the core shadows.

Killadroid- Thanks, man, keep up the drawing! You're totally on the right track, and it'll be great to see how much you improve if you keep at it as much as possible. Good luck!

Will have an update pretty shortly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sketchbook is looking damn good JeiWo. Your gestures seem as though you did them seemlessly. The LOST cast is on Point, keep your work coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some new figures for the week, some pages scanned from the sketchbook as well. I finally found a few new databases for references which is a huge relief, as I started having to draw the same figures over and over again.

I've also been trying to focus on completing some weekly challenges more often. I finished both the ChoW and the EoW last week, although I didn't 100% complete the ChoW and the EoW is more of a speedpaint than a finished piece. I'm looking forward to all the new challenges, though, so we'll see what happens

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some new stuff from last week:

The heads/faces are from reference, trying to exagerrate and stylize where I can. I plan to do way more now that I have a descent head/face source.

Decided to try coloring some figures this week to see how it goes, and I think it went pretty well. Been practicing with coloring greyscale toned drawings with overlay layers so that's what you see here. I suppose the next step would be continue painting on top of them with more normal layers but that's as far as I took it here. Quickness and timing has been key for me, each of the figures took about an hour or so.

I also did a portrait for my lovely girlfriend. I like how it came out (and so did she )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook! the quick figures you draw look so good, you can almost see then in movement! waiting for more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving the Figures, wow! Really inspiring stuff going on in here I'm loving it!

Cake! Everybody loves CAKE!

SKETCHBOOK

BLOGIDIBLOG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments, all!

Here's some new drawings from last week:

Tried to draw more heads this time. I'm still not satisfied with my method of drawing heads digitally, I feel more comfortable with a pen (whereas with figures I've been preferring digital), so I'm going to need to do a lot more practicing until I get more comfortable and consistent. The problem I have with pen is that I need to slow way done and stop being so sloppy. Anyway, hopefully will have more next week, it was kind of an off week for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, your digital studies are awesome! I should really try doing them like that myself.
    Keep up the good work on the heads though, you're really good, and getting better at them!

Killadroid's Korner (my sketchbook)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Killadroid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really good, such great flow to your drawings!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Pep! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New stuff from last week, which went a bit better than the week prior. I'm starting to get more comfortable with how to draw heads digitally, definitely going to keep doing more. Also I worked on a piece for the IOW challenge. Hopefully I can get a good amount done this week!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great SB. I really enjoy your pose and expression studies-they have soul.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to albino-Z For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't manage to get any painting done last week, but I got some drawing done and was happy with how they came out. Feeling more and more confident about my head/face drawings, though I'm still hoping for more consistency (some pages are, some pages aren't). Enjoy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got some great work here mate. The gesture drawings are looking pretty good. I do a lot of those too. Looking forward to the next update.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to fantasyartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had an abysmal two weeks, productivity-wise. No legitimate excuse for it but I did manage to get some drawing in here and there and overall liked some of it. Here it is:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very lovely work so far! I can't wait to see more.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Stroudle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some drawings from last week. Got a new (and bigger) sketchbook, cuz I filled the other one up (always a good sign)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! You are an inspiration! I just join this site. Hoping to find inspiration and some good people to help me out on MY quest to get better at drawing.

I love the look of your drawings.

-Oaktopia

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Oaktopia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice female studies.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Orange For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New drawings from last week:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very impressive sketchbook you got here, I like your devotion.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to ancientdrake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some new drawings from the past few weeks, an EoW entry, and another portrait for my girlfriend. I should note that the portrait heavily borrows stylistically from Sylvia Ji and a bit from Loish. Still trying to find my "own style" which I know is difficult to do, but I can't deny my influences.

I do wish I did more drawing, but a semi-legitimate excuse is that I've been learning some new programs like 3ds Studio Max and Zbrush which is taking a lot of my time.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to JeiWo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi JeiWo!

Wow, actually this sketchbook impressed me a lot! I browsed many sketchbooks and most of them didn't kept me long. But THIS, this sketchbook immediately maked me smile, thinking "Damn, this is just pure awesomness!"

And don't get me wron - but i think you got a new ! I'll definitely put this sketchbooks to my bookmarks and i am waiting for updates! Just please don't stop posting your sketches!
    Really i dunno what is making me react like that... Probably it's... I don't know, i am just speachless. Go and do some !

Thanks

45. The Following User Says Thank You to PolygonJunkD For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.