Thanks

Exclamation I know....something IS down there!

DEEP SEA FIGHT

I know....something IS down there!

I read books about the deep sea...

I watched documentary movies about the deep sea...

I visited many sites and read many news the last years about
    the deep sea...

I made a website only about the deep sea...

And I KNOW:

THERE IS SOMETHING DOWN THERE!!!

btw i know about the conditions in the deep sea and i know how and why the anatomy of deep sea creatures (at least the ones mankind found yet) works. This pic isn't made to show how real ds-creatures could look, it's just something i liked to make, so if you want to tease me tell me about gills, bioluminiscence, diving range of humans in the sea etc...

Ready for some C&C...

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Weird scene. I´d like to see that fish take a bite of that lightbulb the man is holding, and then start to consume it self. The plankton (or whatever that white fluffy stuff is..) feels very deap sea.

Well done.

Thanks
    Is that a flipper sticking out the fish thing's side or it's fin?
    Thieves of Thalegor Kicking Asgard and taking names...

Eternal Juxtaposition Why does Evil prevail? Because Good...is...stupid.

Thanks
    Fozzy! That is very cool. I really like the lighting. you've definately captured the feel of deep sea... and the creatures that might be lurking down there in the dark. I especially like how you can see the diver through the translucent skin of the fish. I cannot help but think that the fish with the phosphorous (sp?) lighting like that (are the real fish anglers?) would be too deep for an ordinary diving suit. Or I'd think they were.. Still, probably a bit of the old tounge in cheek here.

Very cool! I really like the lighting. And the floating organisms. NICE!

Thanks
    hey fozzy! i think this is the first painting i see from you ma friend! so cool! post more!

my 2 cents: i love how you modelled the silhouette of your creature with those glowing tentacle-things. but maybe you should have more light coming from the source in the hand of that guy. maybe let it glow more like the light in the upper right corner, but even stronger. this would put your focus realy on that area. now the lightsource behind the creatures head looks strongest. give his tail a tad more light. it's very close to this one lightsource and should receive some more light. this would "close off" your composition a little more, too. omg, i hope this makes any sense...
    the head area and the lighted parts of the creature cry for more texture! now you've a lot of texture in the background, but rather no on the creature. maybe just try how it looks like if it is vice versa.

very cool piece :chug:

Thanks
    haha Go foz, good one. The underside of his neck is my favourite.. the plankton stuff really looks like... well... feathers. I dunno, but it seems like you took a pic of a really bi pilow fight and stuck it over, cause they all look equally distant. I suggest getting rid of those if you can and doing it manually having the closer ones more in focus or just bigger and brighter, but diffrent from the far ones... hope that helped.
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    nice idea

I like the way the creature seems translucent and the way you used light. the floating stuff is also pretty neat - good underwater feeling, overall.

I think that the top of the neck and head are a bit too brightly lit, considering the lightsource. it's hard to recognise the fin of the diver. maybe it's if you made the edges of it a little less "fuzzy" and increased the saturation, it would better stick out visually from the fish.

when I saw the arm, I first thought it had swallowed a guy wearing a business suit. I think it would look better if it where blue and/or had some more texture on it to indicate it's a neoprene suit.

what I mentioned are rather minor points though. it's a very entertaining and creative illustration.

Thanks
    HA! So many ol' buddies among the replies...thank you, pals!

OLSEN:
    Thank you for your comments...Yes, this is supposed to be plankton. The idea about the creature consuming itself wouldn't be that surprising for the ingestion behaviours of deep sea habitants though...

eldritchmonkey:
    It's a flipper, if this is the word for the things divers wear for diving better...it's not part of the creature.

oglzogl:
    oggy, where have you been, pal? Old lurker you! I am glad that you like the pic...even more since it's not related to the nordic myths...:p...you're right about the fact that humans can't dive deep enough (without technical equipment) to encounter deep sea creatures, as i said, i made this piece regardless of this fact, since i wanted to focus on this tranlucent effect of the swallowed man in a deep sea creature. Though some hunters of the deep sea swim to the upper areas for hunting their prey...

janni:
    Thank you, mate! You are right about the lighting of the "main" lure....i pushed it more and also brightened the tail a little...regarding your texture request, actually there is texture on the head. The original size of this piece is about 4x larger than the posted one, so many details got lost when scaling it down. I posted a close-up of the head, where you can see some texture...everything a matter of composition I see you are in the right mode for getting in the design schooling...btw any news about your application for the study?

Red_Rook:
    Hey, Ben, i would really distress myself about the plankton after your comments, but fortunately there were some other posts who favored the plankton illusion, so i pass over this crit, hehe (lazy me)...but what did you mean with "I suggest getting rid of those if you can and doing it manually having the closer ones more in focus or just bigger and brighter, but diffrent from the far ones"...the focus is on the head area, so the closer the plankton is to the viewer the more it gets transparent, blurry and bigger...that's what i tried, but maybe i failed. Btw actually i drew all the plankton manually, no filter there...thank you for the c&c!

apocalypse-cow:
    Thank you, man! The top of the head and neck are bright, because there is another lure behind the creatures whole neck, this lure provides the light source from behind for the translucent effect. I am not sure about the divers fin...i made it unobtrusive on purpose, so that the viewers eye can wander from the main focus to the single contra-foci...
    I looked for some neoprene suits on the net, but i couldn't find any typical design of the forearm parts, so i decided to do one myself which could push the understanding that it's a diving suit...somehow i associate yellow lines to diving suits, though i didn't found some with this design on the net...i hope this will help not to mix up my diver with some business men ...

New version with changes of your suggestions:

What do you think? Is this better now?

Thanks

creepy!

creepy!
    your lighting is great!
    i like the plankton layers too!

Thanks
    fozzy, nice update and your close-up looks badass! those are some real killer teeth...

yeah, can't wait for art school! that school in cologne don't want me... but hey, maybe it was a bad idea to apply to a school for media and film-stuff with a folio packed with traditional drawings... i don't even have a movie-cam, so what can i do?
    i'm waiting for a couple of those talent-tests - or whatever they are called - and folio reviews atm. going to post my folio soon. i'll let you know when it's done to give me a crit!

Thanks
    I'd try to make the man's shadow stand out in there. Like make the light go thru the skin inside the mouth so you can see a bit of the guy inside with the shadow / profile.

Like a thin skin layer that lets the light stand out so you could make it more red and glowy and make the diver's shadow, would look more alive i think. Just an idea.

( and i don't like the feet coming out, just...not very balanced and took me a bit of time to figure it out. )

good work

alx

Thanks
    is that the vault dwellers jumpsuit from fallout/!? anyways, I really like it...but that fishes stomach defies space reality...its too small for a guy to be inside of.

Thanks
    yeah, now that you say it, I can see the other lure.

my concern with the flipper was, that like eldritchmonkey people could think it's a fin of the fish. but i guess you're right.

good work on the suit. even though I found the idea of a monstrous deep see fish swallowing a business men kinda funny. maybe it's the thing from the deep vs. the fearsome loan-shark

Thanks
    damn...i just looked at the pic when i was at work...my monitor seems to show everything darker than the standard monitors...

I brightened the pic a little more...maybe this is better for the most of you now:

n69n:
    Thank you very much! One more plankton lover here

janni:
    As i said, don't give up...it all depends on the mood of the profs...

softdrawer:
    hmmm.....i am not sure if i understood you, but there is the silhouette/shadow of the diver...maybe you can read it better with the brighter version now...thank you!

sylver:
    fallout? what?
    I don't think that the fishes stomach defies space reality...there are fish species in the deep sea which are actually only a huge living stomach...there whole body is actually one stomach with a huge mouth...exactly like the one i drew...it's an assimilation of anatomy to the extreme life conditions down there (immense pressure, very few prey)...thanky you for the comment!

apocalypse-now:
    hehe, thank you!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.