Thanks

Montreal artists?

Hello,

I've been living in Vermont for the last five years or so and have never been to Montreal due to immense curiosity. However, I don't have a passport yet and hope to acquire one in the future.

My question to you is are there artists from Montreal who are on CA here? If so, what places would you recommend I check out, arts and nightclub related? Goth shops or places to check out? Ateiler studios? I thought about checking out fencing tournaments there since I'm into that stuff, but one has to have a certain rating to participate.

I don't know anyone here in this state to go with me there but I thought if I was in Montreal one day, it'd be cool to cross paths with CA artists. I've heard about the Old City and the Cirque and am also aware of some Templar/Masonic ties with architecture of the old city areas.

A shame that Massive Black has'nt had a seminar there since 2005. I'm not fluent in French but I know a very few words of that language.

Thanks!

-A

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim1099 View Post
    Hello,

I've been living in Vermont for the last five years or so and have never been to Montreal due to immense curiosity. However, I don't have a passport yet and hope to acquire one in the future.

My question to you is are there artists from Montreal who are on CA here? If so, what places would you recommend I check out, arts and nightclub related? Goth shops or places to check out? Ateiler studios? I thought about checking out fencing tournaments there since I'm into that stuff, but one has to have a certain rating to participate.

I don't know anyone here in this state to go with me there but I thought if I was in Montreal one day, it'd be cool to cross paths with CA artists. I've heard about the Old City and the Cirque and am also aware of some Templar/Masonic ties with architecture of the old city areas.

A shame that Massive Black has'nt had a seminar there since 2005. I'm not fluent in French but I know a very few words of that language.

Thanks!

-A
    I've been living in Montreal for a couple years now, and sadly I'm not really into the nightclub or goth scenes, but I can recommend Galerie Synasthesie which does a wine and cheese live drawing drop in on Saturdays: it's a nice place to relax and mingle with other artists.

What other sorts of things are you hoping to see? Naturey stuff, architechture, night life, etc..? Needless to say, there's tons to do here. I've had guests visit 3-4 times and we never run out of options.

You mentioned the Old Port-- this is definitely a really cool area, but if you're coming up for a while, I'd say take the extra 3 hour drive to Quebec City. It's Canada's oldest city and absolutely not to be missed.
    Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sanya View Post
    I've been living in Montreal for a couple years now, and sadly I'm not really into the nightclub or goth scenes, but I can recommend Galerie Synasthesie which does a wine and cheese live drawing drop in on Saturdays: it's a nice place to relax and mingle with other artists.

What other sorts of things are you hoping to see? Naturey stuff, architechture, night life, etc..? Needless to say, there's tons to do here. I've had guests visit 3-4 times and we never run out of options.

You mentioned the Old Port-- this is definitely a really cool area, but if you're coming up for a while, I'd say take the extra 3 hour drive to Quebec City. It's Canada's oldest city and absolutely not to be missed.

Sanya,

I could look into Galerie Synathesie when I get a chance and a passport. I may have to get a bus or use my car to drive around. Is the live drawing related to a model? I have'nt done life drawing in a looong time.

I'm hoping to see more galleries, art stores, entertainment venues, etc. The Old Port, of course, I want to see. I'm really into Templarism/Medievalism history. I know there is a fencing salle or two there and that there were tournaments. If I ever take a major vacation, I would time it with a fencing tournament in Montreal and compete, and visit the city. That's one option.

Although we do get Quebec and Montreal fencers who visit Vermont.

Otherwise, having a guide would be very helpful if I'm ever up there. Oddly, we get Montreal people in Burlington, VT, although I'm in another small and sleepy college town which drives me up the wall time to time (long story).

EDIT: and the weirdest thing is that one of my oldest friends lives in Toronto and does CGI work as I've been to that city twice during family trips many years ago.

Thanks
    Yep, Gallerie Synasthesie is a life drawing meet up, but it's actually a lot of fun, especially with the breaks for food, heh. As for other galleries, I can't say I've scoured the city for them or anything, but there's several blocks on a major street called Sherbrooke that are explicitely devoted to private galleries and of course the Montreal Museum of Art which has a wing on the left and right sides of the street, connected through an underground tunnel.

Art Stores, well, there aren't a lot of them-- we have Omer Desseres which is a large franchise dedicated to art supplies with branches across the city-- though I think you standard prices will be a lot higher than in America, but it's still interesting to zip through. Because of these stores, there aren't a lot of large or sucecssful privately owned art stores in Montreal. Maybe someone can jump in with a hidden gem here?

Hmm, the Templar Church(?) is actually boarded up right now but on the same street as those art galleries-- actually, just a quick walk from them. But I can't say this is a topic I know too much about.

The Old Port can be a lot of fun, and it's definitely worth half a day to meander through the streets (a guided or self guided tour here would be great to bring everything into context). Located in the Port is also the Archeology Museum which is built over some actual old ruins from a couple hundred years ago. I think it's actually a very cool experience, starting with a neat 260 video that's projected right into the ruins.

Again, can't stress enough the worth of going up to Quebec city-- the walls and battlements, the 400 year old streets, the views of Chateau Frontenac-- all amazing! There's also a very pretty falls there called Montmorency falls which are, I think, actually supposed to be the tallest in Canada. It's hard to miss them when you're coming into the city (Quebec). And, if at this point, you want to drive another three hours, you can do some whale watching in the beautiful riverside town of Taddousac.

My last suggestion would be to see what festivals are going on whenever you come into town-- Montreal is like the festival capital of Canada... so much so, that on a summer evening if you're walking around downtown, there's a good chance you'll walk into some street festival or performance by chance if not deliberately.
    Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sanya For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sanya View Post
    Yep, Gallerie Synasthesie is a life drawing meet up, but it's actually a lot of fun, especially with the breaks for food, heh. As for other galleries, I can't say I've scoured the city for them or anything, but there's several blocks on a major street called Sherbrooke that are explicitely devoted to private galleries and of course the Montreal Museum of Art which has a wing on the left and right sides of the street, connected through an underground tunnel.

Art Stores, well, there aren't a lot of them-- we have Omer Desseres which is a large franchise dedicated to art supplies with branches across the city-- though I think you standard prices will be a lot higher than in America, but it's still interesting to zip through. Because of these stores, there aren't a lot of large or sucecssful privately owned art stores in Montreal. Maybe someone can jump in with a hidden gem here?

Hmm, the Templar Church(?) is actually boarded up right now but on the same street as those art galleries-- actually, just a quick walk from them. But I can't say this is a topic I know too much about.

The Old Port can be a lot of fun, and it's definitely worth half a day to meander through the streets (a guided or self guided tour here would be great to bring everything into context). Located in the Port is also the Archeology Museum which is built over some actual old ruins from a couple hundred years ago. I think it's actually a very cool experience, starting with a neat 260 video that's projected right into the ruins.

Again, can't stress enough the worth of going up to Quebec city-- the walls and battlements, the 400 year old streets, the views of Chateau Frontenac-- all amazing! There's also a very pretty falls there called Montmorency falls which are, I think, actually supposed to be the tallest in Canada. It's hard to miss them when you're coming into the city (Quebec). And, if at this point, you want to drive another three hours, you can do some whale watching in the beautiful riverside town of Taddousac.

My last suggestion would be to see what festivals are going on whenever you come into town-- Montreal is like the festival capital of Canada... so much so, that on a summer evening if you're walking around downtown, there's a good chance you'll walk into some street festival or performance by chance if not deliberately.
    Sanya,

Those suggestions are fantastic! Quebec City would be a six hour drive from here, but Montreal is probably good enough for a start. lol. When I get there someday, I hope I don't get lost for the first time. At least, nothing wrong with getting lost in the process of exploration though.

I would love to check out the galleries, life drawing, and other places. I would probably do that when it's much, much cooler weather-wise. Just like it cold personally .

I once saw a goth shop's website that is from Montreal but I don't think it's there anymore. They had some interesting items. But it's been a few years now.

Maybe some day I'll bump into you if you're in life drawing up there when I get another vacation and an actual passport in my hands.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,549 Times in 548 Posts
    If you're into the goth scene, that tend to hang around the Foufounes Electrique down on St. Cat's. The Belgo Building is a building containing something like 30 little studios and galleries, so you may want to stop by there (it's right across from the Musee D'Art Contemporain). If you're a painter, I would definitely try and stop by Kama Pigments, who have very high quality oil painting supplies made in house. Hope that helps a bit.
    Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Twitch Channel

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Si_Swe View Post
    If you're into the goth scene, that tend to hang around the Foufounes Electrique down on St. Cat's. The Belgo Building is a building containing something like 30 little studios and galleries, so you may want to stop by there (it's right across from the Musee D'Art Contemporain). If you're a painter, I would definitely try and stop by Kama Pigments, who have very high quality oil painting supplies made in house. Hope that helps a bit.
    Sweet! I'm not much of a painter myself but do mostly dry and digital media. However, someday I'd like to get into oils despite having done acrylics years ago. It's very rare that I paint. The only thing that stops me from doing oils is concerns with asthma and allergic reactions and my apartment may not be conducive in the summer for that on the second floor. High rising heat. blech.

But thank you for mentioning the Belgo building. I find studio collectives and galleries combined to be fascinating.