Riots in London.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Riots in London.

So, in edmonton on thursday, a man was shot by the police (he was believed to have shot first but the ballistics reports have yet to come out with anything official), the man died and some of his family members and friends did a peaceful protest, one or two people decided to take it further and began setting fire to police cars and breaking shop windows, to make a long story short, it escalated into a full scale riot. 99% of the rioters don't actually know the man who was shot and are just rioting and looting for fun and free T.Vs, so now Woodgreen high street is a total no-go area and other places are headed that way.
    I'm ashamed of my country, TBH.

your thoughts? (i know a lot of people aren't english or londoners btw, i was just hoping someone was as outraged as i am)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I’m totally appalled by the UK at the moment. The fact it has spread to other towns, including my home town is pathetic. It’s Just an excuse for violence and stealing. I think its time for tear gas and rubber bullets.

Nothing Of Interest......Yet

"Being remembered for living is worth dying for"

Midnight's Sketchbook Feel free to rip my work apart constructively

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds like the U.S. of A to me.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    Nah! Here, the National Guard would have been mobilized by now.

Doesn't England have a paramilitary/reserve type of force to deal with this kind of thing?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is pretty degrading. Its senceless. Some are saying it's due to a lack or regard for law and lack of jobs prospects for the younger generation. Which would make sence, but when you think the places theyre setting fire to would probably give them jobs. It becomes pointless.
    I've even heared that some are creating groups on facebook planning to riot in Leicester, which confused me as its so far away.

We've become quite a tolerant place hu?
    Hopefuly it will tire itself out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We only riot for NCAA final four. We would be out 24/7 if we did every police shooting.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Assholism is an international disease, so there's nothing to be ashamed of if you haven't caught it yourself. In the US, we've adapted by making it a legal part of our political system--you can't be elected unless you're an asshole.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 735 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's bad tonight. Watching it unfold on Sky News. In some places, they're kicking down doors in residential areas.

We're sixty miles away, out in the boonies, but it's horrible to see so many places we know in London up in flames.

Pure, out-and-out looting. They're forming proper British orderly queues to cart stuff off.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's all bullshit. I'm staying up watching it on the news... the riots are spreading everywhere, including Manchester where I live. I'm a bit outside the city centre but I'm surrounded by council estates. I just hope the violence doesn't get too close.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in Islington (north central London) and I was pretty surprised to hear the police station 5mins from me was targeted by a group of around 70 youths. The hand of the law in this country is worrying light but perhaps that's better than too heavy.

I do think it's horribly hypocritical the way people are doing it for the sake of it. It's also quite disrespectful to the family of the man that was shot, trying to justify their crime on the suffering of others.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,803 Times in 941 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I survived that shit many times, believe me.
    I almost get used to it

M

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's horrible. Now it's just about stealing, forget the guy who died.

If this really was about race and unemployment and bias, I'd feel a bit different but I still don't condone the violence/looting. But I think it's not even about that anymore either.

I understand the crazy frustration of seeing friends being forced into un-employment or working crap jobs because there are no good jobs, but I just can't feel that destroying property is any way to fix problems like that.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)

My SketchBook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_Oil View Post
    Iím totally appalled by the UK at the moment. The fact it has spread to other towns, including my home town is pathetic. Itís Just an excuse for violence and stealing. I think its time for tear gas and rubber bullets.
    Just noticed this - http://twitter.com/#!/gmpolice/statu...32563156512770

Apparently it spreading to Manchester is so far just a rumour.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by B u r l View Post
    Just noticed this - http://twitter.com/#!/gmpolice/statu...32563156512770

Apparently it spreading to Manchester is so far just a rumour.
    ah, im in uni up here. my home town is bristol, sommerset

Nothing Of Interest......Yet

"Being remembered for living is worth dying for"

Midnight's Sketchbook Feel free to rip my work apart constructively

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah riots like this are counter productive. They give validation for police brutality. I remember the racist comments people were saying after the Rodney King riots. Same thing after Katrina. You start to hear "You see what the boys in blue have to go through to keep'em in line"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I seriously doubt this has anything to do with the original incident.
    The same thing happened at the student protests and at the G20 protests.

Fools trying to be gangstas and taking advantage of the situation to cause havoc (and now looting to go with the destruction.)
    They don't fear any reprisals and hold the law and anybody else in low opinion.
    The cops can't do anything - if they go in hard the media will rip them to pieces, if they hold back it's the same thing.
    Gang culture gone crazy (it was the same with the football hooligans in the 80/90's)

Roll on the zombie holocaust...

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venger For This Useful Post:

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,887 Times in 2,359 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, trying that in Virginia would get you dead, as we are locked and loaded as a matter of course. My best wishes go out to all the inocent people caught up in the idiocy of the crowd violence

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pffft, and they call us convicts.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeston View Post
    Pffft, and they call us convicts.
    Be glad dem Brits can no longer export these thugs to Australia, or they'd become your problem. ;-)

I actually feel kind of sorry for Britons who have the misfortune of living in large British cities. At least from where I'm standing, their lives seem to me like a veritable inferno of alienation, meaninglessness and spiritual despair. I can hardly blame them for wanting to burn it all down.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blogmatix View Post
    Be glad dem Brits can no longer export these thugs to Australia, or they'd become your problem. ;-)

I actually feel kind of sorry for Britons who have the misfortune of living in large British cities. At least from where I'm standing, their lives seem to me like a veritable inferno of alienation, meaninglessness and spiritual despair. I can hardly blame them for wanting to burn it all down.
    Arson-- the cure for existential angst.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,375 Times in 3,596 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's happened where I live yesterday. Just got home before it all started. Low life coming out of the sewers like rats. Absolutely pathetic. I just hope the buses are running s I can get to work.

I was going to go to Brixton today, but that got cancelled. I'm meant to go to Hackney on Thursday - I'll see.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I only read about it in the Metro free paper this morning so I usually take whatever they report with a pinch of salt, they exaggerate everything. But no, the BBC is the same.

This is awful, definitely an 'any excuse to riot' situation. I hope it cools down soon and you get to work ok Black Spot

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blogmatix View Post
    There is nothing wrong generally with living in a British city, it's not a 'misfortune'. No more than living in any other city anywhere else in the world. They all have their problems, deprivation, poverty, class divide etc. I can show you bad areas of Manchester, as people anywhere can show me bad areas of their cities. Don't imagine for one minute that what's happening in certain parts of Britain right now is exclusive to us. That kind of naivety usually comes before a harsh wake-up call, as our Prime Minister is currently experiencing.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have never been to England but ultimately plan to. I already love the tongue and the rest might follow when I go. Regardless, I never find it too easy to take sides on these issues although everything does seem to point at some indiscriminate stupidity on the rioters' part here. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14456853

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They are even robbing random civilians in the street...

Edit: Alot of pictures here: http://www.theage.com.au/world/big-p...iots-in-london

Last edited by B u r l; August 9th, 2011 at 07:22 AM.

Anid Maro is offline Psychotic Eldritch Zeppelin Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    Shenanigans.

Europeans, for years now, have been showing up the USA as total wusses when it comes to riots and revolutions. When you think of a US riot you think of LA tripping about the Lakers with some cars burning. When you think of a European riot you think of government shutdowns, mass violence, et cetera. Our so-called "riots" are nothing more than a regular soccer riot to Europe.

Even our War of Independence had to be topped off right after by the French with their Revolution.

Anyhow, that out of the way...

Pretty nutso in London. I haven't followed much due to the whole Economy thing and my own life, but what tidbits I'm hearing reminds me of Clockwork Orange.

Was this really set off by just a police shooting? Strikes me as if there was some underlying issue just waiting for an outlet.

Edit: Just watched that video. Man, I haven't wanted to kick the shit out of someone that hard in a while. Damn.

Last edited by Anid Maro; August 9th, 2011 at 08:17 AM.
    -My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is horrific. Especially that video. I saw that and my heart broke. Seeing things on my facebook wall like "Fuk da polic stupid pigs" is making it worse.
    I hope everybody innocent is safe.

And I'm not meaning to start rumours, but I'd like some clarification. Are the thugs really killing? I just read something about them killing an 8 year old girl who went out to save her cat and a few hours ago I read that they trashed a pet shop and killed all the animals. If it's true, then I don't even know what to say to this inhumanity. If not, then shame on the people who said that in the first place. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's a disgrace. One of the shops that got burned down had been in the family for 5 generations, you might have heard the interview with the owner on BBC News last night.

I've seen people complaining about anarchists, and I'd just like to correct this if I can. What you see isn't anarchy, it is just mindless violence. I doubt that these people can even spell anarchy, and the idea that they have political views? No. The targets are random, with no plan or cause, they burn whatever buildings they feel like, and most of them are involved for the violence or the looting. Best summary I saw of the riots was a group of kids breaking into a sports shop and running off with football shirts. These people have no intelligence, no reason behind their actions, and certainly no hope of changing politics. The only thing that'll change is that the police will (hopefully) get more powers to stop such things in the future.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cannibalcarnivale View Post
    And I'm not meaning to start rumours, but I'd like some clarification. Are the thugs really killing? I just read something about them killing an 8 year old girl who went out to save her cat and a few hours ago I read that they trashed a pet shop and killed all the animals. If it's true, then I don't even know what to say to this inhumanity. If not, then shame on the people who said that in the first place. Does anyone know if this is true?
    The only death (except for Mark Duggan's that 'sparked it') according to the BBC is a 26 year old man found by police in a car who has died from gunshot wounds. There is a lot of speculation and misinformation going around on Facebook etc. As for the pet-shop story I don't know.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14462693

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.