Sketchbook: Iiro's Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Iiro's Sketchbook

Hello,

I finally gathered the guts to start a sketchbook thread of my own. Let's see how it goes.
    I really want to improve, so feel free to drop comments / pointers. Cheers!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Crimbal; January 24th, 2013 at 01:02 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More stuff.

Last edited by Crimbal; August 8th, 2011 at 01:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the past week I've been struggling with a major art slump. All I managed to come up with today was a generic cyborg ninja. Guh..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Composition's one of my weaker subjects. My photography teacher's told me I've a natural eye for it, but my paintings tend to lack that quality of composition. Probably because I tend to make things up as I move along. :p

So now I'm breaking the habit and starting to prepare for my paintings well beforehand. Today I spent some time making [three-]value studies before bed, I'll do more tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The quest for more interesting compositions continues. These are some of the three-value studies I did yesterday based on Rembrandt's paintings. After a bunch of these I picked some favorites and used them as a basis / inspiration for original compositions utilizing the same dynamics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little relaxing doodling from imagination before bed. Tomorrow I'll do studies of people from photography. I really need to pick up my game.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I spent an hour doing solely croquis (or gesture drawings). I hadn't done those in a long time and this was my first time doing them in Photoshop using Posemaniacs (I most definitely prefer a live model though..).

I've always struggled with them, going in every direction trying just to fill the mass of my subject in time. I usually end up with figures that look like messed-up thread balls. I'll keep doing them though.

I didn't have time to make the three-hour study I planned for today, so I settled for a quick skin tone study. More tomorrow.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,674 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cool SB so far!

On this one, I really like the colors and values overall. To improve it, I would remove the rim-light around the backside of the face (the white border) because it's flattening out the far side of the face... and maybe define the ear a bit better.

Good work though. The thumbnail caught my eye... I think you can push that first image a bit further and really make it good.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

10. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think youve got the right idea with the figure drawing. your rendering and colours are very nice - the proportions are a bit off though. great stuff so far pal! keep it up!

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Sanders For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    p sage: Cheers for the feedback! The freaky border on the portrait study came from a sharpening filter I've been using [too much] lately. I'll keep your comment in mind in the future!
    dog-faced: Come to think of it, the human proportions are something I know, in my head, but don't physically grasp. It's a lot of hit-and-miss. I think I'll start doing studies to tighten my proportions tomorrow. Thanks!

I did more gesture drawing today. I work on a Cintiq so this time I used my whole arm (like it's supposed to be done in the first place, duh) and I got a whole lot more out of it. The drawings range from 30-second to 5-minute drawings.

(I swear I'm not going to flood my sketchbook with these, promise!)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,674 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cool gestures.

Come to think of it, I like the analysis you did of that Rembrandt (the Dutch painting, anyway)...

Cintiqu = cool. Soon as I'm on my next contract, it's the first thing I'm buying... before health insurance

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pfffff, who need health insurance when you have a damn Cintiq? :pSeriously though, it's a great tool, and it's made learning and making digital art so much easier for me. (Though naturally it's got it's faults too, and I still enjoy drawing on a tablet every now and then).

Here's a couple of hours worth of drawing-for-fun from imagination. I'm trying to implement more texture into my work to make it more interesting to look at.

Last edited by Crimbal; August 19th, 2011 at 01:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start here! Stuff looks good! I like a lot of your color schemes especially. ^__^

Congrats on getting the courage to make an sb. XD Took me a while too.

Again, looks good - keep it up!

My sketchbook - come critique me!
    jesse martel@tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! I will.

More art stuff! Today I have:

1) drawn some very formulaic 8-head figures. It's something I kind of skipped when I was younger, which has resulted in hit-and-miss proportions in my figures later on. It's something I'm working on repairing now.

2 & 3) been doing some long-duration figure drawings. Kind of. Today was a lazy Sunday, so I didn't spend nearly as much time with them as I should've. As you can see from the red lines I traced afterwards, my measurements are way off! But I'm going to be doing these daily now - it's something I really want to get good at! Reference taken from www.pixelovely.com

4) had a little fun. This started out as a quick gesture sketch, but I ended up pushing it a little further. Messed around with my workflow and tools, broke some manners and had a blast.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the last one, loads of character and rhythm. You are definitely doing the right things with the composition analysis and the gesture studies - keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lightpunk: Thanks, I will!

It's been almost a couple of weeks since I last updated this thread. I started my internship at a local animation studio and I've had a lot of work in my hands.

1) A figure drawing from imagination I did on a train. Apart from the ridiculous placement of the navel, I'm pretty pleased with it.

2-3) More drawings from the same trip. I'm much better at drawing men.

4) I'm practicing perspective. I want to master it to the degree I don't have to think about it too hard and use it to improve my paintings. This picture was fundamentally flawed and I decided to abort it.

5) More environment / concept art. The idea to this was inspired by the film "Fantastic Planet". If you're into the 70's scifi and havent seen it, you can watch the whole film for free on YouTube: http://youtu.be/crc5Ldkv4VU

I'm so totally used to just painting naked people I'm having a hard time coming up with substance to my paintings. They just need *more*. I'll be back with updates.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried working on multiple concept art pieces at the same time to work efficiently and consistently. Ended up picking favorites and getting carried away. But hey - dragons, space ships, cyborg samurai and giant fire-shooting turtles!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So it's been a while since I last posted here. I've been toying around with the idea of doing a short web comic lately.
    I'm on a laptop right now, but I'll upload more of my recent stuff tomorrow when I get to my desktop. Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I recommend some gesture studies and don't worry so much about getting the figure exactly as your reference, sure that's important but learning to synthesize with a clear understanding I believe is vital.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff!
    I really like that last pieces with the dragon. There's a really nice use of values to portray depth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    andres333: Thanks for the feedback! In general I should be drawing more from life to widen my visual vocabulary. I hope to have more time for longer studies after the dust settles at my new job.
    Voodoo_Mama: Thanks!

While I haven't managed to keep up my daily routine of gesture drawings, I've been focusing on composition while drawing. My current job includes drawing storyboards, and I prepared for the task by reading "Framed Ink" by Marcos Mateu (look it, it's awesome).

1) A figure study. Was doing it late at night and didn't have the energy to finish it. I draw too many torsos. One of these days I should really focus on the limbs.
    2-3) ...but not like this. These were quick studies of low quality photos.
    4) A sketch from imagination I did a hile back. Again, the limbs..
    5) Trying my hand at character design.
    6) I made some ink brushes in Photoshop to enhance my comics workflow.

edit: I just noticed there's no border between pictures 5 and 6. Now there's a floating cyborg chick in the sky. :p

Last edited by Crimbal; September 26th, 2011 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome, interesting work. i like how diverse your stuff is, i like a person who shoots in all directions.

cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love how your environments look, and I can see your progress in figure studies since you first posted. Congrats on doing some good hard work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work! I see this quickly turning into a 5* thread.

My Sketchbook: Criticisms and Feedback needed

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys! It's been over a year since I last updated this sketchbook. 2012 was a crazy year for me, I graduated with a batchelor's degree and I've been working hard on my personal stuff. Here's a dump of my more recent work.
    Name:  environment_001.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  242.8 KBName:  environment_002.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  248.2 KBName:  aulos.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  272.5 KBName:  helmet.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  150.6 KBName:  feaster.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  158.4 KBName:  iiro_jackal_sub.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  241.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My 3D work is keeping me busy, but I'm trying to improve my concept art and environment skills. I'm hoping to break into the games industry this year.
    Name:  environment_004_wip.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  196.0 KB
    This one's a cropped piece from a new environment. I tend to be terrible at lineart and usually prefer to go straight to painting in tones and values, but at the same time I feel my concept drawings should be tighter. The ones above were done in a couple of hours each, but this time I'm taking my time and trying to make one that's more refined. So far I like how it looks (despite some perspective issues).
    Name:  mist_character_sheet_01.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  112.9 KBName:  character_001_dragon knight_wip2.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  132.2 KB
    I'm also trying out drawing in a more cartoony style, since that's what mobile game companies usually go for. Still got a long way to go. These are for a fictional game project I've been playing around with in my head. Will be making more of these in the future.
    Crits / comments are more than welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! Nice improvement since 2011. Those enviros are pretty damn good. Where did you study?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! I studied in Metropolia.

Last edited by Crimbal; January 28th, 2013 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I prefer your 2011 works. They seem to be more dynamic, spontaneous and alive. They have a nice volumetric appearance while the strong contour in your 2012 work (Man with a gun or cartoony Kid with a skull helmet) makes them quite flat. I also prefer the loose painterly approach on 2011 works, while the Man with a gun feels gummy and artificial. Those futuristic environmental images are nice, but again, they feel a bit static and generic compared to the environmental sketches of 2011. Your 2012 works are anatomically better tho, so I just hope you didn't trade your soul for technical refinement

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Ales S. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gosh, I sure hope I haven't. Thanks for the feedback! I was in a very different place in my life in 2011, now that I've graduated and haven't still found a steady job, I find myself constantly stressing over not having the perfect portfolio. I guess I worry about other people's (i.e. employers') possible opinions a lot more than I used to. And I realize there's no way I can know for sure what kind of work the local game companies are into. By looking at their work, I suppose they're into cartoony stuff, and that's a style I'm willing to explore. But I guess I still shouldn't forget my roots and also do the kind of stuff I'm personally into. Even though I'm trying out new techniques, I still love to do the painterly stuff.
    Which brings me to today's batch o'sketches!
    Name:  elf_sketch2_wip.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  103.7 KB
    This is from around Christmas, done on my laptop. Can you tell I'm not comfortable with drawing hands? I should really get to doing some studies on those.
    Name:  001_sketch.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  97.1 KB
    A quick loose sketch, trying out a new technique. I'm a little torn between having either visible brushstrokes or a polished finish in my pictures.
    Name:  gunny4_wip.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  145.1 KB
    A character design for a web comic me and a friend have been planning every now and then. I think this project was the one that got me interested in doing the cartoony stuff in the first place. I think I might polish this design further and maybe turn it into a portfolio piece.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1