what do you suck at?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following

what do you suck at?

We all struggle at one thing or another. I beleive a study regiment could be perscribed to remedy it. IE if you suck at rendering: Do master studies. If your figures are stiff: Do 5 min sketches. If you struggle with facial expressions: Do film studies from comedies. etc

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty much everything, but that's to be expected from a beginner.

The problems I am trying to fix right now is really to concentrate on the subject I am drawing (meaning looking at the object or subject and remember where the line go as I am translating into a 2D form)
    as well as render, shading, and tones.

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I suck at being tall, dark, handsome and rich. Fuck it. It in no way interferes with my plans to destroy the political Parties of the US and be named Emperor...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suck at anatomy, lighting, composition, colours, heck..I suck at a lot.

But what I don't suck at is real life. I am ballan'. I have girls and guys on either side of me, clinging to my arms, a nice car, plenty of friends, I am awesome! Ahahahahahah-hahahahah! ...Haha ha...heh ehe..ha...

: (

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Well I suck at drawing hair, hands and feet, I also suck at drawing clothes (I like drawing nudes anyway)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flashback-Squint and blur your eyes to look at the bigger shapes. Your first pass should look like nonsense to a layman. Think about the basic big shape.

Ilikae-Get a law dgree and become a hedge fund manager. Promise to handle the finances of a political party and embezzle the cash. Once that party has crashed the other party will regard you as a hero, then rince, wash and repeat.

Attached Images Attached Images    

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Featheredface View Post
    I suck at anatomy, lighting, composition, colours, heck..I suck at a lot.

But what I don't suck at is real life. I am ballan'. I have girls and guys on either side of me, clinging to my arms, a nice car, plenty of friends, I am awesome! Ahahahahahah-hahahahah! ...Haha ha...heh ehe..ha...

: (
    Start with anatomy. You'll continue to suck at the rest unless you can figure that out. Start with Bridgeman's Constructive anatomy. Copy it from cover to cover and don't forget to incorporate it into your personal work or it will be for not.

congratulations on your amazing life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by viscuswalor View Post
    Well I suck at drawing hair, hands and feet, I also suck at drawing clothes (I like drawing nudes anyway)
    Think about hair as you would any other body part. Draw it as one big mass, the lochs and strands are like anatomical detail or texture.

You have hands and feet. Draw those every day until you feel comfortable. Just remember don't draw fingers right off the bat. Draw the catchers mit. Hands are never easy. I've seen plenty of pros get by with shitty hands, because they know how to obscure them enough to get away with it.
    what do you suck at?
    When it comes to cloth it's easy. Look at each fold as an arrow. just pay attention to form, gravity and the cloths reaction. If you are comfortable with quick sketches, then go to a cafe and sneak sketches of people.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What do I suck at? Art.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i suck at 3D modeling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    life... j/k...maybe...

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Falchion View Post
    What do I suck at? Art.
    I don't think you do, but if you really feel that way and don't want to do anything about it. Maybe you should quit.
    Diarum- Don't do it man! You have so much to live for!

muramura- Get a book on whatever software and area you want to specialize in. There is always a step by step process for mastering the tech. Just keep in practice. If it's on the creative side, like character design, then you need to learn anatomy and figure drawing just like everybody here. Most 3d artists can hold their own as a 2d artist, same goes for animation.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; August 8th, 2011 at 06:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suck at establishing a good strong colour scheme that doesn't break my composition and at least implies some kind of form. Also, speedpainting.

As well as many many many other things, but right now that's the important one.

Last edited by Beeston; August 8th, 2011 at 01:10 AM.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suck at men. Seriously. I think it came from my love of drawing clothes, and flowing fabric. I can draw a nude man, sure. But I just get do bored with men's fashion and ultimately never like what I draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am suck at drafting. I've been working at it for years. I can do rooms and buildings, but cars and repetative unorganic patterns are hell for me. When ever I use perspective math I is outsmarted.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeston View Post
    I suck at establishing a good strong colour scheme that doesn't break my composition and at least implies some kind of form. Also, speedpainting.
    Reverse engeneering. Do a dosen colorful abstract thumbnails and look for a picture in them. Pick your favorite and render it out with comlimentary colors rather then monochrome. I'm no authority on the subject of color theory, but beleive me this works.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by M_Oreilly View Post
    I suck at men. Seriously. I think it came from my love of drawing clothes, and flowing fabric. I can draw a nude man, sure. But I just get do bored with men's fashion and ultimately never like what I draw.
    It sounds like you have trouble relating to the subject. I've heard dudes say the same about women. You have to relate to the other sex a little. Not saying you need to go all "Catherine" Jeffry Jones and get a sex change. Just figure out what makes them cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Composition is a huge weakness for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awynt- I think the only thing I didn't mention in the previous post is the rule of thirds in terms of good composition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Reverse engeneering. Do a dosen colorful abstract thumbnails and look for a picture in them. Pick your favorite and render it out with comlimentary colors rather then monochrome. I'm no authority on the subject of color theory, but beleive me this works.
    EDIT: I looked at your site and noticed you aren't that bad at composition. I did notice you only had one figure pin ups with no interaction and very few elements incorporated aside from the figure. Is your problem element organization, interaction, space management or something else? Composition is a pretty broad term.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; August 8th, 2011 at 02:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Raoul, I actually have a "suck at," but it's not something that can be easily corrected. I'm DESIGN-oriented above all else, so art to me is something "conceptual" in the old sense of the word...a solution above all else. That's the best I can do to explain it here... Basically, to me, the things everybody else here talks about with so much passion--style, traditional vs. "other stuff," Real" art, US comics vs. Euro comics vs. manga, etc., is just so much bullshit. Art is determined by the problem requiring it, not by some nebulous set of self-centered biased rules determined by agenda freaks. I DO ART. I don't really care if anyone else thinks my solution is art or not. Period.

Last edited by Ilaekae; August 8th, 2011 at 02:04 AM.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Talking about painting, I suck in many ways... i dont start thing from basic, i dont study anatomy (though started a bit of head observation recently, still mostly from my imagination), i have no patentience to start from construction, i only want to get thing done fast, i always have the "dont-know" idea in my mind but i didnt ask much, just test out different brush, technique, use of shapes, randomly laydown brush strokes but never figure out what lead to their final outcomes. always get affected by emotion.... shit... i suck..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kitteh- I'm not saying one style or medium is more valid then another, but if you are struggling to adapt to a certain problem, the answer has been solved enough times for one of the soloutions to fit your abilities. I find some "flaws" in artists to be soulful, whimsical and charming. Picasso painted like an old master as a child and painted more like a child as he got older and more successful. It doesn't mean Rob Liefeild is soulful or whimsical for drawing tits on Captain America. It has to do with the artist finding their voice.

I hope you are not insinuating I'm passing judgement. I do feel like an asshole for contributing all of the answers. I've just been through years of trial & error and I still deal with it every day. I was hoping to create a thread where people could share ways they have overcome problems with people that are presently encountering them.

Cerealist-Looking at your sketchbook I noticed you usually get off to a great start. The big picture is there beleive it or not. It looks like you panic when it comes to higharchy of definition and then back away. That aside whatever you're doing is working. It's actually good brainstorming and design. Maybe you could give me advice on my problems with draftsmanship.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; August 8th, 2011 at 05:37 AM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I suck at staying away from places like this when I'm supposed to work or draw. The best way to remedy that would be cutting the internet cord though.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sure you can do both. Think of the forums as a way of breaking up tunnel vision. If you take a little break from your work, you can come back with a more objective view. Right now I'm doing a ton of comicbook layouts while I fuck around over here, so it's important for me to take microbreaks. It's better then getting invested in watching a movie.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    I suck at staying away from places like this when I'm supposed to work or draw. The best way to remedy that would be cutting the internet cord though.
    *high five* Me too LOL

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Awynt- I think the only thing I didn't mention in the previous post is the rule of thirds in terms of good composition.

EDIT: I looked at your site and noticed you aren't that bad at composition. I did notice you only had one figure pin ups with no interaction and very few elements incorporated aside from the figure. Is your problem element organization, interaction, space management or something else? Composition is a pretty broad term.
    Ahh the zombie pinup project! Those were fun.

Mostly, I think my weakness shows more when I attempt full illustrations with movement and action (such as fantasy art you'd find on magic the gathering and WoW trading cards). I really enjoy those pieces but can't seem to "frame" the scene I have in my head LOL!

More practice and more studies, I'm getting there slowly but surely

Thanks
    Thanked 5,932 Times in 2,385 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There's a joke in here somewhere

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Draw more period costumes! Guys in togas will give you all the flowing fabric you desire and you can't tell me musketeers weren't pretty fabulous.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suck at everything but mostly linear perspective and composition.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "I hope you are not insinuating I'm passing judgement. I do feel like an asshole for contributing all of the answers. I've just been through years of trial & error and I still deal with it every day. I was hoping to create a thread where people could share ways they have overcome problems with people that are presently encountering them."

Whoa... R', your first sentence is as far from my intention as you could get. I sincerely apologize if you got that from my statement. And there is absolutely no reason to feel like an asshole--I agree with and admire what you're doing here. My "suck at" was to communicate what I have to face in my own work--a complete inability to define "art" as a singular entity. This is the result of a lifetime of "solving problems" visually rather than creating an image "as a solution," if you understand that I "see" a difference between those two statements.

This even becomes a hinderance to me when asked to critique--I have a problem with commenting on composition, color, "style," accuracy, etc., when the first thing that wants to come out of my mouth is, "What the hell are you thinking?!? There's no way you should have gone in this direction in the first place."

Please ignore this infomercial and return to the truly interesting main programming discussion...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I appreciate the spirit of this thread, but I don't quite get why you did it. It's like, on-demand criticism? That being said, I'll give it a shot. Maybe you can help me with this:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...7&postcount=20

Thank you =)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.