Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Newbie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Newbie

Hi all, I just recently made an acount on here. I heard about this site from Encyclopedia Dramatica. I have a deviantart account, but I don't really get any helpful comments on there, mostly because all of my watchers are about as skilled as I am or only slightly better. I really want to improve my art, so here I am!
    Anyway, here's a picture I drew for a contest recently. The point was to design an American version of Hatsune Miku. (I heard you people disapprove of anime/manga art... I'm sorry...) I'm pretty happy with the anatomy on this one, as usually I draw people with disproportionately large heads. But something about it seems off. Any advice?
    Oh yeah, it's done completely in Paint Tool SAI.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, you seem to be in such a beginner level that I recommend you to read the Loomis books (downloadable from here and they are currently being reprinted so you can search them in book form too): http://alexhays.com/loomis/ and start with the basics of drawing. Also it's recommended you start drawing from life, starting from simple objects (cups, boxes) and slowly getting to more complicated ones like humans. Preferably traditionally as digital stuff like SAI will not help you in this.

I also suggest you to read the stickies posted on the top of the forum page as well as considering starting your own sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, thank you for your advice. I'll start reading those books.
    And thank you for being nice.

Last edited by qwerfvtgb; August 7th, 2011 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello and welcome to the site matey.

Yep we all work to improve in here, usually one step forwards and a half back again (sigh *)

I heartily recommend the following sections to look in:-

This one first:-

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=219000

This one is all about getting the most out of critque, its invaluable Jeffx99 posted it up, look at his list at the front, this is the bit to read and will stand you in good stead, it can be harsh in here sometimes.

Theres a basic shapes sticky that I started that is good for lighting and forms etc it wont do you any harm to do a few hundred of them, I still do them from time to time.

Also go here

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=107217

This is a digital painting with photoshop thread that has loads of examples and loads of tips and methods for you to try.there is one for painter too if thats your software.

other than that, go for it and get posting mate and see you around, all the best.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerfvtgb View Post
    I'm pretty happy with the anatomy on this one, as usually I draw people with disproportionately large heads. But something about it seems off. Any advice?
    You are a very easy target Just one basic thing: You put the knee way too high.

I don't think anime would be a problem here (though most members don't usually draw in that style) provided it's done well, with the required anatomy knowledge. I always used anime as reference and as time passed, I became more and more aware one need to learn anatomy to pull it off. It may look easy but it needs a lot of knowledge (some animator/mangaka doesn't have it but the results aren't nice, of course).
    You obviously need anatomy knowledge to draw humanoids. Loomis's books are a good start but it's good if you try others, we are different, some people learns more from other books or from many combined.
    Real life drawing is important too, even if it's an object or a human, 3d gives much more information than a photo.
    Practice and right attitude (you need to WANT to get better, put effort into your stuff, accept crits but not blindly, don't make excuses and so on) are the key Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by shiNIN View Post
    You are a very easy target Just one basic thing: You put the knee way too high.

I don't think anime would be a problem here (though most members don't usually draw in that style) provided it's done well, with the required anatomy knowledge. I always used anime as reference and as time passed, I became more and more aware one need to learn anatomy to pull it off. It may look easy but it needs a lot of knowledge (some animator/mangaka doesn't have it but the results aren't nice, of course).
    You obviously need anatomy knowledge to draw humanoids. Loomis's books are a good start but it's good if you try others, we are different, some people learns more from other books or from many combined.
    Real life drawing is important too, even if it's an object or a human, 3d gives much more information than a photo.
    Practice and right attitude (you need to WANT to get better, put effort into your stuff, accept crits but not blindly, don't make excuses and so on) are the key Good luck!
    The knee? *googles photos of girls in shorts* *compares* I guess I did. Thank you.
    Easy target? How?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerfvtgb View Post
    Easy target? How?
    Well, not to sound mean, but in your description you said that you were pretty happy with anatomy here, and this makes you an easy target because I can guarantee that almost no one (if not absolutely no one) in this entire site will find the anatomy in this piece even remotely acceptable for a finished contest entry.

I'm excited that you've joined - if you keep your chin up and your mind open and continue to study and learn, you are going to go as far as you like with your art. And if you can take critiques positively and effectively, you will do just fine on this site. And if your favorite part of art is the journey (i.e. actually drawing and painting and learning, not just thinking about how great you will be if you practice for X number of months/years), you will have the drive to improve for the rest of your life.

Congratulations on taking the initiative to move beyond the skill level of your 'watchers', because, IMHO, this is the best site to join if you are interested in becoming a better artist. Most of us here are just amateurs inhaling the mounds of wisdom amassed by the professionals who take the time to come back and help those of us at the starting line. First thing you should do, if not done already, is read the stickies at the top of the "Art Discussion" forum. Also, start a thread in the 'Sketchbook' forum, and start uploading your studies (again, see the stickies to know what to study).

So, while this piece may make you an easy target as far as being inaccurate and very stereotype beginner anime, just remember to keep trying and keep taking and using the critique you get. And don't take anything personal - look in the mirror every so often and say "I may be just starting on my art journey, but I'm already an awesome human being!" <cheesy, I know!

p.s. and don't forget, there are going to be THOUSANDS of crappy drawing, studies, paintings, etc. before you are a pro artist, and the sooner you get started, the sooner you get those out of the way!!

Last edited by Saramel; August 31st, 2011 at 02:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Just dropping in again to say that I got better (sort of)

It's weird, the more I improve, the more I hate my art.
    Anyway, I will probably never post anything here again because you guys are extremely intimidating. Bye.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well trolled.
    the "encyclopedia dramatica" bit was just too obvious.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LordLouis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    too bad, you guys are so intimidating.

"Every champion was once a challenger who refused to give up"

Sketchbook

Deviantart

Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there

I think I have some advice for you, and that is Anime art is really the wrong place to start with human anatomy, it is way too stylized and very difficult to do well if you don't have the basics down first.
    People have probably said it it before a million times but if I were you i would buy the Andrew Loomis books and set about loads more practice with a pencil and paper matey that is the best way forward I think.
    Start a sketchbook thread and post all your practice in there and people will help you out, if you have a specific problem or don't know the way forward with an image then post it in here and we will help as well as we can.

all the best to you, and keep on working.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.