Sketchbook: "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dump.

Attached Images Attached Images  

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.
    - Ray Bradbury
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can tell when I'm having a rough week when all I post are disjointed random doodles. It's good stress-relief.

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.
    - Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaaah I love sketching in pen. Particularly ballpoint. What kind of pens were you using for these, out of curiosity? The Bridgman studies as well as your life studies are looking great

Also out of curiosity, whatever happened to the jellyfish piece? I'm intrigued to see where that goes (even though I'm the last person in the world who should be making comments about abandoned pieces << ).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Meps For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Meps: You're too kind. Also, these were Faber Castell "PITT artist pens" in dark sepia. I bought them on a whim and figured I ought to use them because my tablet is on the blink -- which answers your next question! I find it frustrating to work on that painting because the thing only likes to work for 5 minutes at a time before is disconnects itself. So it's on hold, but I really want to finish it.

Tharindhu: Oh, I'm no professional, but that's very flattering! I do find using pen makes me feel much more confident when I draw, though.

Soooo in case y'all were wondering about the lack of updates, here's a hint.

I don't have bed bugs but I thought I did. It's fleas instead. Neither are good and both are time consuming little jerks who stress me out and distract me from my purpose.

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some stuff I doodled today plus some stuff from yesterday. Friend wants a tribal dove tattoo so I'm doing what I can. It was fun but I suck at tribal tattoos evidently!

Dudes on Project Runway Korea really like their scarves.

Everything I'm doing is very bad and low-effort, but I finally have a vacation next week and I hope to be able to focus again. I feel ashamed of Page 7 so far.

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Post #174 blew me away, and then that flea made me fall in love.

I've always noticed atleast for my own work, that I'll go through a period of the shittiest, least-thought-out, fucking awful sketches, and then I'll lose motivation because I'm not getting anything good. But then after I stop stressin' about it and take a break for a few days, I'll come back stronger than ever.

Maybe that's what you're experiencing?

PS: Post #183, top left figure. Beautiful.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I must refer to this SB's title, I love the end because I can relate so much. You fail better now than before. Even I fail better than before. I can be all sad about the crap I produce but it's usually sooo above my old fails. Not like it's very comforting but we are improving and it's not a bad thing. Even if I personally improve damn slowly, not like I have anything or anyone blame than me (that's a comforting thought, I should have power on myself! apparently it's not necessarily through but my hope tend to be on epic levels).
    Low effort isn't necessarily bad. I do the best stuff when I don't really care and effort is nowhere in the picture, except the amount I can't avoid, no matter what. And then, effortlessy and quickly, I do better than with oh so much pain and struggle. It's unfair but there's some logic in it.

Have a nice vacation Will you see some pretty places? Those can be so relaxing and inspiring. It needn't to be far or exotic.

Oh and you are magical. I never thought I ever will look at a pic of flea without disgust. I love most animals but blood sucking insects definitely aren't among them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nutella: Wow, thank you! I promised myself I'd never take a full on break from drawing. Even if I just draw a single hand or a face or an eye, every day I have to draw or I lose my inertia and stop for months. (I'm on day 49 of no breaks, now!) When I get burnt out random doodles make me happy and take the pressure off.

shiNIN: Yay, hello and thanks! I loved what you had to say about the quote. And you know what, I do fail better now. My throwaway doodles are beyond what I could do with serious effort in the past, and it's true for you as well. That's something to think about.

I'm not going anywhere exotic or exciting, just to the next province over, but I'll have five whole days of free time! Ugh I'm so excited.

Fleas are a nightmare, I was grossed out drawing that. Stupid summertime. Stupid bugs.

I really really don't like buuugggsss. I am fine when they're out in the world, but get them out of my business. My apartment is overrun with bugs because it's an old crappy building and it's the worst.

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WHASSUP NEW CONCEPTART I SEE YOU'RE WORKING NOW

Name:  summer1.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  253.8 KB

Name:  summer3.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  275.0 KB

Name:  summer2.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  237.1 KB

Ahhh what am I doing it's all newww

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really digging the pen stuff you've been doing from like August onward, there's a lot of character in your lines which just makes everything interesting/fun to look at.

And all of your little cat sketches are adorable, just sayin'.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SaraCooley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there. Post 186 made me laugh out loud.
    I hear you about summer. Working an outside job, bugs tend to get too friendly with ya. Much too friendly.
    Moving on. Roast beef is tasty.
    Moving on again. No critique just encouragement. KEEP IT UP YO!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sara: Thanks! Pen is fun! I'm gonna stick with it for a while until I get bored. I have a bunch of Prismacolours I should mess with too.

CarbonBased: Thanks man! Encouragement received. Gonna pick up the pace a little bit here. And I'm glad my pain and suffering could bring you joy, hahaha.

A meagre, doodley offering to get this ball rolling again. This semester is a tough one but I'm getting snippets of drawing in here and there, at least... ugh. Better than nothing...?

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bluh bluh bluh, *~fartz~*

Name:  11-kumoraorsomething.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  84.1 KB

Name:  11-tinystilllife.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  19.3 KB

Name:  12-hand2.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  36.4 KB

Name:  12-hands.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  50.9 KB

Name:  13-batforlashes.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  31.9 KB

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  14-whatevs.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  57.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey wow you've improved so much while I wasn't looking

That colourful portrait is so fun - the blue shadows look pretty naturalistic. The anatomy of the face is kinda weird though, the head is turned 3/4, but the face seems more front-on.

Buuuut the facial anatomy on that greyscale portrait looks fantastic so nevermind?

Anyway yeah keep on bein' awesome.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Members who have read this thread: 4