Sketchbook: "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bit of a redline (greenline, blueline...) for you here. Your ladyface has some nice stuff going for it, but one major proportional problem, namely the top of her head. Eyes are halfway down the head; you can see from the red lines that they're way too far up.

The greenlines are another way to divide up the face into thirds - hairline to eyebrows, eyebrows to nose, nose to chin. By that measure, aside from the hairline, you had it pretty much right. (I'd say the nose was a tiny bit too low, but pretty dang close.) The light blue lines are for the nose to chin area - the bottom lip hits about halfway from the bottom of the nose to the chin. Also, I think the eyes are just slightly too far apart.

The image on the right is your picture with the proportions adjusted, as well as a couple of other things. Missing that angle from the eyebrow to the nose flattens out the face a lot. The lips seemed a little big, and weren't quite wrapping around the face on the farther side.

So quite a few things, but the majority are very minor. Definitely worth going back to!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Randomeister: Thanks! Damn right I have that problem, just something that's gotta get beaten out with practice I s'pose!

Revidescent: Omg. This is my first paintover. Thanks so much for taking the time to do that! I took your advice as well as the advice of some folks in the Critique forum and messed with her some more. Looking at what I have now I see the problem with the lips and chin haven't really been resolved, but I'm not done yet!

So this is what I've been painting a little bit every day during this week full of midterms, presentations, and papers. Taking care of a painting and not caring how long it takes me feels very nice and relaxing, and I'm learning a lot.

This is the first picture I put in the Crit forum and I am very happy I did. It's motivation not to abandon it.

Attached Images Attached Images  

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.
    - Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello. Good job keeping on drawing. I hope your school studies are going well.
    Some crits.
    The lady above still needs proportions adjustments. Her eyes could be lowered.
    The skin needs more colors, it's a bit monotone.

Great to see you drawing through thick and thin! : )

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CarbonBased For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Carbon: Thanks man! Changed the stuff you mentioned, here she is as finished as she's gonna get.

Learned a bunch of stuff and proved that I can focus on something long-term!

Now I am going to go collapse of exhaustion!

But it is okay because the worst is officially over (last, really last, midterm was today and I can mostly rest easy for a few weeks.) Expect daily updates again.

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.
    - Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet, okay, so I finally got to go to Dr. Sketchy's! Here's the result of that today since I was too tired to upload it last night, as well as some practice from Friday. Since my sketchbook can't fit in my scanner (I couldn't find my ring-bound one and had to bring an old hardcover one) I had to take photos of the results, with my phone. So, sorry for the crappy quality, I did what I could with photoshop!

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, those sketches look -great-! Also, great job with the portrait above. I agree with CarbonBased that it'd be nice to see a bit more color variation in the skin, but I realize you're done with it and moving on. It improved a ton from your initial sketch. Looking forward to the next one

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Meps For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Meps: Thanks buddy! Looking at that portrait now, the colours seem horrible. But I got myself a copy of Colour and Light, so that should prove helpful!

I'm not dead, I just fell off the drawing wagon. I don't too feel guilty because I've been absolutely kicking ass in my classes! But I missed conceptart so. I 'carved' this one out of the black background instead of drawing on white, it was relaxing and a nice way to come back.

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome back - I wondered off too >.> it happens lol
    This newest piece is really fun - and pretty creepy - especially with the long skinny fingers.

My fingers are long and skinny- and my friend says I have "witch hands" lol now I'm starting to wonder!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am really liking those latest gestures. Great job on those.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CarbonBased For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know how it is with clases Good to have you back!

Subtractive drawings are super fun. There's something about painting light that makes it more fun than painting shadows (for me at least <<). The hands on that last piece look really good! Even without any lines, they're reading really well. Great job!

(Color and Light is AMAZING. I just finished reading it, myself, and I'm about to start it again XD)

Last edited by Meps; April 6th, 2012 at 12:33 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Meps For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well hey, it's been a time. I made a promise and I didn't stick to it, hurr. Embarrassing. You can tell I've been slack because improvement has been dismal in the past couple months. My excuse is that life hasn't been very... permissive, lately. But things are calming down now and I desperately need something to throw myself into to keep sane.

Please take me back! I miss ConceptArt but the longer I went without putting anything up the more ashamed I felt, and the more ashamed I felt the less likely I was to upload! Well that's dumb!

I went to Dr. Sketchy's again last night, it was a good time but you can sure tell I got progressively drunker AND I'm out of practice. Oh well, ONWARD.

Last edited by littlebones; July 9th, 2012 at 07:48 PM.

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another day of faffing about. What is a facial expression?

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doop de doo

Last edited by littlebones; July 10th, 2012 at 10:12 PM.

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! It's been a while! It's great that you were able to come back after so long away, it's so much easier to just give up.

Anyway, I notice you don't put much emphasis on value in your recent sketches. It might be a good idea to focus on it for a while, to help give your stuff more impact. I see you've been studying the planes of the face a bit, that'll definitely help too.

I really enjoy the looseness of your figure drawings, though. They have a light, fresh sort of feel to them.

Keep at it!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Clur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Clur! Thanks! I'm glad I came back. Giving up only makes me feel bad and guilty, so I might as well not.

I agree with you. I struggle with value a lot. I'm really going to have to face it though.

So here's something older because I don't want what I did tonight marring my sketchbook page. I did keep the chain going and I did draw though!

But here's some older stuff. When I was drawing the girls in dresses I had gone to the park and it happened to be prom day and everyone was taking pictures there. I didn't want to get in the way so I was too far to do any decent gestures, but I got ideas from the dresses. Anyway, a little girl and her dad walked by and she wanted to see it. Apparently she likes to draw dresses too. Her dad said he liked my bald guy.

Nobody's ever approached me while I was drawing in public before! It was neat.

Anyway that's my story.

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey littlebones I finally found your sketchbook The figures look good. You can train more some face features I noticed that you have some problems with lips. Moore faces, moore. Looking forward to next drawings. Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey blu! Yep, it's back in action. And lips you say? LIPS?

I GIVE YOU LIPS

HAVE THESE

Actually I thought your suggestion was perfect for today because I have very, very little time to draw. Managed to squeeze these in in the 30 minutes I have to myself today! Thank God the weekend is coming, holy crap, I am never going to improve at this rate.

Just as long as people stop calling me and coming over as soon as I sit down to draw sahwefujawiofwjenuiwniuef ghaarghghg

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, good on you getting back into it, and double props for posting daily. Not breaking the chain is a pretty great motivator. It can take some time to get into the groove, but you seem to be hitting it pretty well already! The lip studies are great, some of the Dr Sketchy's work has a really nice flow to it, and the last head in post 134 is fantastic - nice style, well-proportioned, nicely composed.

On those colour heads - watch your skintones. Try doing a head/skin study or two, from photos and from life. (Life is better for realism and subtlety, but photos let you eyedrop afterwards to check your mistakes, which can be really helpful to see where you're letting your expectations get in the way of perception.)

Overall, good stuff - keep doing what you're doing, and you'll be seeing some serious progress in no time. =D

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can see quite an improvement from this page and your first. Well done. I really enjoyed the carefree confident lines you used in the movement gestures on post 132. They were lovely. Keep at it

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Karein For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rev: Thanks! I love how you give me props for posting daily, and then I skip a day, haha.

I definitely need a lot of practice with skintones and colour in general. I've got a looong way to go. Colour is hard, and I can't wait to get better at it.

Karein: Thank you! I intend to!

So I did miss yesterday, but it was to see this guy live:

And by the time I got home I was too tired to scan. But the chain's not broken! Just the update chain.

Here's a big ol' dump o' stuff from today! Everything is referenced except the obviously unreferenced THING there in blue. Once I realized legs still confounded me I drew a bunch of legs.

Good day, had fun.

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff! even though its only a couple of pages in this sb i see improvement so keep doing what you are doing!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your figure stuff... it's very expressive.

No serious critiques from me today. Just keep learning and doing. Maybe try continuing with the "constructive anatomy" approach and see where it takes you. Don't forget that seemingly unrelated things like still lifes can also help.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to syrella For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you both! And syrella, because of your comment I went and ordered Bridgman's Constructive Anatomy. Should arrive here in a few weeks.

Here's the art dump for today. Found it hard to get into it, so I did some 60 second gestures to just do something and found I am WAY out of practice and they don't look so hot. Ah well, my fault.

Then some leg muscles, so I know what's goin' on under there. Could have worked on it for longer but my shoulders and neck started hurting wickedly so I decided to call it quits early.

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooooooold characters (ooooooooooold) and a teapot.

Couldn't take it seriously today, other stuff on my mind, but this was fun to take my mind off it. I had wanted to do some major practice but things happen! So instead enjoy animu characters from when I was 12. Delight in my shameful past.

You know what I should do? Studies from Breaking Bad.

Breaking Bad is such a good show.

Last edited by littlebones; July 16th, 2012 at 08:57 PM.

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was so fun. I hope the photographer doesn't mind me using his work. It came up on tumblr, which is awesome for references sometimes, if you follow the right blogs.

This took me about an hour and a half-ish. I was trying mostly to find the right colours (which I can see I didn't do and now want to go back and fix but I need to sleep), and wasn't focused so much on the detail (clearly). I can do better, but I learned a lot. Picking colours became easier when I switched to the HSV bars instead of using swatches and guesswork. It reminded me of mixing paint, way back when I actually had paint to mix...

Please crit, I would love to hear it.

EDIT: I just want it to be really plain (even though it's obvious) that the bottom is the picture I used for ref. I totally did not paint that.

Last edited by littlebones; July 22nd, 2012 at 06:23 PM.

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dump.

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crud. No excuses. I spent prime drawing time doing other things; by the time I got to drawing, it was late, and I was/am sleepy and unmotivated.

Anyway. Drawing first, always, while I'm still awake. I will come home, decompress/relax for 30 minutes, and then get to work so I can avoid more embarrassingly scant updates. On days where I get home at 5:00 and have nothing else to do, I can reasonably fit in about 2 to 3 hours of solid work before I begin to fall asleep on my desk. THEN I can mess around in the Lounge and Art Discussion.

On the bright side, I now own Norling's Perspective Made Easy and Loomis' Figure Drawing For All It's Worth! The box they came in looked like a doberman had ripped it open and the upper right corner of both books is slightly bent, but I own them.

I have so much to learn... blah blah blah whatever here's some crud.

Last edited by littlebones; July 19th, 2012 at 09:21 PM.

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh hey look a self-portrait. Had an hour after work and before I go to a friend's farewell party. I know there's a lot wrong but I really can't believe I did this in just an hour... that would have been inconceivable to me when I started this sketchbook. So I'm pleased.

ONWARD.

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Structured study, what's that, lol.

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LB great book. Live the skele-cats ha ha. Also that northern lights paint is pretty shexy. Just saying.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4