Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Hi thanks for stopping by my sketchbook,one thing i noticed was lacking in your figures,was a sense of proportion,next time you do a figure drawing,just use your fingers to help with measuring

----------------------------------
    Ideal Figure 8 heads high/(7.5 women)

So you have the head,one head down from that you get the nipple (on a male),one head down from that should be at the waist (belly button),one down from that crotch,one down from that should be end just above knee,the next below the knee,then mid of lower leg and finally to the feet.

So 4 heads above crotch,4 heads below.

its a good starting point,however,I noticed your proportions improved a lot in your gestures.so fantastic job.

whats lacking is the gestures is a lack of dimension,think about overlapping forms ,you can read about that here...

http://drawingsfromamexican.blogspot.../09/imply.html

The painting is good,you're off to a great start! looking forward to more.

"The one hope of producing better work is through the conception,not the material"
    -Andrew Loomis

MY BLOG

MY SKETCHBOOK

AnimationForum
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nubian_Greene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nubian Greene: Thanks a bunch! I'll aim to do some more proportion exercises this weekend. That link should prove really useful as well

I just can't get excited about what I got done today. Better than nothing. I guess I can forgive myself because I have class most of the day on Wednesdays, but still.

The damn cat wouldn't sit still.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Some objects in perspective for this week's Spartan Camp. This was actually pretty fun, and I can't wait to put these principles into practice doing some scenery & backgrounds. I didn't use any kind of reference for the shading, I was just kind of dicking around.

Thanks
    Aaalright, so here's some more Spartan Camp fun! Started drawing around 3:30 today and now it's 8:00, and my shoulder is unhappy with me. I think my gestures get worse towards the end...

Are they visible for everyone? In shrinking them I think they lost some of their visibility.

Thanks
    Nice set of gestures in that last post! 3, 10, 19, and 25 are my favorites. I think they have the most movement and personality of the lot

On my SB you asked about clean lines- Really they just come with time. When your doing gestures I think it's more beneficial to worry about the volume and expression of the figure than making it look pretty. If you google "Gesture drawing" you can see there are a million different ways to go about it. Heck, in school we were even ecouraged to finger paint- whatever teaches you something.
    Practicing line control is a whole other exercise. Easiest way is to draw concentric circles, and strait lines focusing on light to dark, dark to light, or what ever combo you can think of.

Gradually the two exercises start connecting to each other. You'll need fewer construction lines to create the same drawing.
    Loosen up when you draw and make a mess. Use gesture time to explore how things work- not to make things pretty.
    My life drawing teacher made us all switch to ink for our sketching- that way there's no temptation to reach for an eraser.

Happy sketching
    p.s I like the kitty cats ^_^

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here are some more gestures for the Spartan Camp, shamelessly crossposted.

Rhubix: Thanks! I tried to be a little less uptight in doing gestures this time around. I'll take your advice and start doing those exercises every day before I draw.

"Ever tried.  Ever failed.  No matter.  Try again.  Fail again.  Fail better."

2, 3 and 4 were from imagination.

Last edited by littlebones; January 14th, 2012 at 07:10 PM.

Thanks
    Hi. I really like your energy shown here, alot of effort and clear improvement throughout. The last post with the 2 minute poses are looking great, especially 6, 7 & 10. You might want to relook at some of your Loomis studies with this attitude and see if you can reproduce those early sketches but with this clarity and style? Good luck with it, I am sure you'll continue to make great progress!

Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Cool, nice to see that you use your gained knowledge right away! Especially pose 3 is really good!
    By the way...what is the spartan camp ?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tumhoy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey there! thanks for visiting my SB, good on you for the gestures, not enough Artists nail those basics early on. It'll pay off later on, also building on the loosening up thing.
    This video might help you, really good info on there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14iD7...ure=plpp_video

My Sketchbook!This scrub needs your guidance

Very Cool Guys:
    Lakai ---- Whirly

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ixallus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments!

Dayle: I was going to re-do some of the old Loomis practices today but I ran out of gumption. They're on the to-do list, though.

Tumhoy: When it dawned on me that "holy crap, I can draw MY OWN POSES" I got really excited. Sometimes I forget that I can have fun with drawing and not stress about just doing exercises. And I mentioned on your sketchbook what Spartan Camp is.

Ixallus: Thank you, that's a helpful video! Something simple that I bet will help a lot.

(Possible trigger warning for eating disorders in this post)

Yeah, so I want to study some body types besides just healthy fit young people so I started here I guess. References were used in both cases.

Last edited by littlebones; January 16th, 2012 at 10:41 AM.

Thanks
    Awesome progress!
    I particularly love the black kitty that keeps showing up in your drawings!!!!!

Thanks
    Conniekat8: Thanks for the comment! I like to draw cats.

A friend made a surprise visit (hooray!) so all I managed to do today were a few gestures. I still got something done. I feel like they've gone down in quality. Gotta practice hands and feet, too.

Still need to work on that line economy, I scribble too much. And man, that bubble butt on #4 is atrocious!

Thanks
    Same story, had very little free time today so I wasn't able to get much done, but I managed to eke this out before I go marry my bed.

Hands are hard and I really need some more solid, methodical practice.

Edit: Oh my GOD don't even look at #3, it's like two seal flippers.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6