Sketchbook: "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, thanks for stopping by my sketchbook.

I love your Micelangelo study, you seem to be getting the hang of the muscle forms. The facial features seem weirdly flat compared to them, though I suppose that makes sense if you were focusing on the muscles.

Also, your studies of those anorexic women are very haunting and powerful, especially the first one. Great work!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jephyr X: Thanks! Girls in big sweaters are fun to draw, man.

Clur: Thank you! Oh yeah, the face was a total screwup for sure. I tried not to feel too bad about it since I really was more focused on muscles, but I feel like that's no excuse to be lazy and muck up the face.

My tablet (A Wacom Creative or Creation or something... one of the new Bamboo ones, anyway) has been acting up like crazy and keeps not responding at random. It's really a pain and I only managed to get a bit done today because of it. I spent most of my drawing time trying to fix the stupid thing.

So here are some dumb squishy Loomis skulls and some dumb faces to go with them.

Oh, and I thought I'd upload just an example of a chaotic warmup sheet, just because maybe someone might want to see what I do for about a half hour before I actually start drawing. There is a method to the madness.

A shameful start to page 3.

Attached Images Attached Images    

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.
    - Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebones View Post
    My tablet (A Wacom Creative or Creation or something... one of the new Bamboo ones, anyway) has been acting up like crazy and keeps not responding at random. It's really a pain and I only managed to get a bit done today because of it. I spent most of my drawing time trying to fix the stupid thing.
    If this keeps up you want to uninstall the drivers completely, restart your whole getup and reinstall them. It's a huge pain in the arse, but it will solve any tablet issues that aren't hardware in nature.
    Tablets are as contrary as old printers with the tear away sides. I'm pretty sure the drivers are programmed to break down every 4-6 months so your forced to download new ones.
    A shameful start to page 3.
    The important thing is that there is a page 3.

From post 56:
    The main problem I have is getting everything down in as few lines as possible, a lot of these look blotchy and... unclean I guess.
    Take as many gazillion lines as you need to solve the problem. If you make a digital mess - set your eraser to 80% and go over it - continue struggle... when you reach mess again erase again - rinse and repeat until you go cross eyed, find a satisfying solution, or reach your allotted time limit.
    If you make a pencil mess- use a kneadable eraser- they're like magic.

p.s I think # 10 was the best hand. has a nice stretch to it. Very spidermanesque

Keep up the good fight!! & happy sketching ^_^

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rhubix: Thanks! Yeah, the tablet hasn't been acting up again today, thankfully... I'll try your suggestion next time it goes nuts. And you're right about page 3, I'm actually really really excited! Gotta get me one of those erasers.

Alright so here are some cordyceps drawings, an elegant lady who's supposed to be based off a moth but I decided I messed her up so I didn't want to finish her, and a portrait of a guy who I don't know who he is. I spent about, oh.. an hour and a half on him? Mostly I wanted to get the colours right, and I don't think I did a terrible job.

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.
    - Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You did a good job with the last guy, I like it. I also like the warmup sheet. Keep it up!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pixel cheetah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    could you draw some spiders in perspective/action poses?
    would be cool
    keep drawing and have a good day

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HannesD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff :o, I like your title ha, might have to steal that one day !

You're on the right track with that guy your painting the colors look pretty good and now you only need to blend it, Rarrrr scary isn't it?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to IchiBrun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pixel cheetah: Thanks! I intend to!

HannesD: Yup! SPIDERS! All of these used references, but SPIDERS.

Ichibrun: I wish I could take credit, but they're the words of Samuel Beckett. And yes it is scary, but I'll probably end up moving on from him for now.

SPIDERS OK

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good spiders. Have you tried beetles or crabs? Be more confident with your lines.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pixel cheetah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks pixel cheetah, and nope, I haven't tried crabs or beetles yet but I do like creepy bugs, so I might make those my 50 gestures for this week! And as for the line-confidence... I'd like to be better at it. I do line exercises, but it's taking an annoyingly long time to stick.

Tuesdays are aaaalways going to be really lame for updates, it's one of my busiest days. But here's uh... an unfortunate woman. No references were used for this one, just drawing for shits and giggles tonight. I actually really really like the concept though so if anybody has any critique I might turn it into a full blown painting this weekend, if I have time.

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man I don't even like that picture I drew yesterday anymore. And I'm not fond of these gestures either. I finally took a lok at some Vilppu videos, and he really explains things remarkably well. I tried applying some of the things I learned from his videos, but I think I should have given myself more time for each gesture to get used to the new ideas. As a result a lot of these look stiff, the lines are unconfident and I even had to cut off limbs because I was just fucking up all over the place.

I'm not going to beat myself up too much. I've definitely heard from people that when you learn something new and try to apply it, it almost feels/looks as though you've gone backwards in skill. So I'm not worried, just gotta practice.

Ugh, those lines though, those lines. I'm feeling frustrated. Gotta chill out. These things take time and effort.

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebones View Post
    I'm not going to beat myself up too much. I've definitely heard from people that when you learn something new and try to apply it, it almost feels/looks as though you've gone backwards in skill. So I'm not worried, just gotta practice.
    This is definitely true.
    Sometimes when I'm feeling frustrated I hang out with my niece (she's 5 and thinks I'm some kind of mystic sorcerer when I draw things for her.) It makes me feel better .
    If your really getting addled step back and draw something fun, remind yourself why you love drawing. Nothing worse then flogging yourself into a rut with endless studies.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rhubix, good idea, that's exactly what I decided to do. I figure tomorrow it's supposed to be crazy snowy so I'm gonna have the whole day to stay in and practice, might as well have fun tonight.

So here's a bunch of doodles/sketches. Everything's from imagination except the Comet Moth. I hate pretty much everything about the Luna Moth person, but I'm going to upload it anyway. I feel like my imagination needs as much exercise as my technical skills. As in, a lot.

I just didn't have the gumption to do anything big tonight. It's been a long week. But I drew for a few hours, so I'm happy, even if it wasn't super-productive practice.

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great figure studies! It's really cool to see the amount of work you're putting into them, and it pays off--you've visibly improved since page 1

(Also, I like the chaotic warmup sheet--I might have to start doing those, too!)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Meps For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    {Not in a good form for this but I had to return the visit before I forget...}
    Your SB reminds me of so many things I epically neglect lately. Spartan camp, drawing my fairy named Twirl again after years (she has twirls on her boobs too ), and yep, figures.
    Nice SB, your lines aren't that bad in my opinion, I wouldn't worry about them anyway, it really just takes time. The most important thing not to stop. (Or if you stop for a few days, start again.) I had whole periods when I would be happy with just some... anything. (well no but I would appreciate them) If you keep drawing, you are on your way, maybe it's extremely far from a straight or a nice twirly one, going into stupid direction sometimes but you are moving, getting chances to get better. If you sit still, horrible things may happen, even the fearful Nothing Happens At All. I was there, I know how valuable just to do something. I did nothing, having high standards and a cruel strict self critic. I understand one is unpleased with their stuff very well but sometimes I feel others should appreciate this basic first step, just practicing, no matter what, more.
    I wonder if my thought could get through, I'm not so good at this now I fear

I like most of your gestures, don't like the portrait in #64, you changed so many things, even angle, colors, whatever but it's better not to go all critical about it, my inner critic is too skilled at that and it wouldn't help.
    The winged humanoid in the very last pic is unbalanced, I don't want to criticize its not quite human proportions because it's not a human, but for some reason, it's not so believable than the previous one that's nice but it's not clear if she's standing (her pose totally suggests it) or levitating or what.

What creepy bugs? Most bugs aren't creepy and spiders, well they are just cute Not as much as a baby hiena or vulture chick, but still, I love them.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really dig your imagination stuff man, specially how you apply your studies to them

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Meps: Thanks! The warmup sheets are fun and they really help loosen me up. Also sometimes really fun doodles come from them, haha.

shiNIN: I really have been trying hard to not stop. Even on days like today where nothing I'm drawing is coming easily. Believe me, I know about sitting still... I drew a lot for fun til I was about 17, and stopped for 6 years out of discouragement, and here I am now. So I'm determined to never let it happen again. Even though I hate a lot of what I do, I know that it'll pass. I always think, "Where would I be now if I had drawn every day for that six years?" and it fills me with a lot of regret, but regret is a waste of time.

For the portrait, if you ever have the time or inclination to really rip it to shreds that would be awesome! It was my first attempt at a portrait for yeeears, and I can see how it's off but I don't really understand how it's off yet. How can a critic be too skilled? Good criticism is why I came to this site! Cause I suck! And oh man, that second person... the proportions are atrocious, even for a fairy creature or something. I almost didn't even upload it, but I figure, if I don't upload the crap nobody will see the patterns of the things I do wrong. (Oh, and the yellow one isn't standing or levitating really, she's just... displayed in midair, I guess. I just wanted to paint pretty wings. )

And yeah, some bugs are cute, but you can have the millipedes and centipedes, haha.

Aragah: Thanks, I try! It's taken courage to even try things from imagination, I feel like I'll "ruin" my ideas by trying them, but that's dumb.

So today was not a good day and I have no gumption. I had all the time but no inclination to do much, sigh. So all I have for today from my laziness is some gestures, and I am getting very bored of these for now and really want to change it up.

I think tomorrow I may take a look at the Environmental Speedpainting guide I got from the CA store. Yeeeeeeah sales! It'll be something completely different, and I really need something to light a fire under my ass.

I feel like these have gotten even worse. I tried to pay closer attention to actual forms but pheh. I dunno.

Just gotta keep this in mind I guess...

Last edited by littlebones; January 27th, 2012 at 09:47 PM.

- Ray Bradbury

28. The Following User Says Thank You to littlebones For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to say that I really like your gestures. I'm awful at them, so anytime I can actually read what's going on in someone elses I'm impressed! I will definately have to stop by again when I'm not so sleepy and make a better post. *yawn*

thumbs up!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to BeautyGirl1510 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, BeautyGirl!

So, I actually drew way more than this today, but most of it was totally unshowable -- really messy sketches, doodles, getting ideas down, etc...

So here's a 45 minute still life, a candle with a cat toy, and an idea for something I want to turn into something much bigger.

I'm gonna run with the idea of the spider-riding lady but there's a lot wrong with that initial sketch. I'd like to actually design her separately from the picture as well as watch Jason Manley's Composition video before delving into making it a full painting. The spider's going to be a Gooty Sapphire tarantula, which are really quite beautiful and the whole reason I got the idea in the first place.

Ugh, it's messy and crap and there's no background. Pretty sure the perspective is off, and so is her anatomy, and there is zero composition at all. It needs to be totally re-done, so it goes.

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't see how she's sitting on the tarantula (tarantulas are pure WIN btw... I sooo love them many of them are quite beautiful) but I'm looking forward to the redrawn one in the future.
    Criticism is useful and important but if one's inner critic spot flaws without even looking, it can be a bit disheartening My inner artist is my inner child but my critic is too much of an adult and he has no humor sense. It's quite a bother for me, I can filter him out if I criticize someone else's stuff, that's often needed, I won't list all tiny flaws if it's a very flawed beginner stuff and I try to give advices, telling common mistakes based on several portraits, that's more helpful than a list of flaws...
    Okay, I will tear apart the portraits from now on Just a few things about the one in #64 now: the painting differs from the original so much, the pink colors aren't only irrealistic but combined with the not quite right eyes, they make the face definitely girly. The light is hard, the shadows are sharp in the photo, using a high opacity hard brush would be better in my opinion. I'm a fixed opacity hard brush fan anyway, though I experiment with pressure sensitive hard brushes lately but it's not easy, it usually gives a too soft feel But everyone should experiment and decide on the brushes they use (except beginners and soft brushes, that's a bad combo ).

33. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks shiNIN! Yeah, I was honestly thinking of doing a whole thing with tarantulas, but I don't want to be too ambitious yet, haha. I appreciate the criticism, all things I'll keep in mind next time I do a portrait. Though I actually did use a high opacity hard brush! I just went too crazy with the blending. Next time I'll also spend more time on it.

So I was feeling really blah and crappy about drawing earlier, and I crapped out these three terrible poses full of mistakes. And then I decided I was tired of drawing gestures and bodies and wanted to draw some faces, so I went through a few movies and shows (if anyone can identify them then I'll feel like I did an okay job!) and tried to capture people's expressions. I have a really hard time with all my people having super wooden facial expressions. Anyway it was the right decision because I started really having fun with it. Around #9, I went back and looked at Loomis again and something clicked. Felt really good to have drawing feel "easy" again.

Now to do some class reading, which I should have done before drawing...

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The gestures aren't so bad... the first 2 anyway - The third one got a little out of hand ^_^.
    The only face I immediately recognized was 11 (I'm assuming 7 also) as the old dude from walking dead.
    I don't really watch TV, so I'm not the best person for that game though

loving the fun stuff in post 73 also imaginary stuff is always fun.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving your two minute gestures! Keep up the good work. Your figures have definitely improved.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to blindshot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And I just now realized you drew cordyceps!!! I got that idea too but I thought I can't pull it good enough, it looked terrific in BBC Planet Earth - Jungles...

Kittycloud I'm a sucker for such silly lil things I have a too sensitive humor sense and I like to smile and laugh... And anyway, cute simple things are funny.
    The girl in the left in the same pic has tiny head and her body doesn't show your top abilities anyway.
    Your line quality wavers a lot. Not sure who to be surprised, I do the same.
    It just means we have a long road to walk but we both know that anyway.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rhubix: Thanks! It is relaxing to work from imagination from time to time. (And I already told you but Dale from The Walking Dead is correct!)

blindshot: Thanks man, I feel like I've hit a wall with figures though, hopefully a little step back to focus on other stuff might make them seem fresh once I return to them.

shiNIN: Hell yeah, Planet Earth! I forget if that's where I first heard of Cordyceps but man, the idea of that fungus just creeps me out so much, but in a good way.
    Also, I love to incorporate silly things (usually cats...) into my practices, it makes me feel like I'm undisciplined and waste time, but whatever, I'm here to have fun.
    Line quality is wavering because I discovered that, oh hey, I can draw my construction on a layer underneath my final lines! I knew all along I could but for some reason it hadn't occurred to me.
    That is my biggest flaw -- I don't take enough care with my drawings. I'm too hasty, it's very bad, simple things just fly under the radar.

Soo here's my haul for today, a big ol' dump of heads. Started doing portraits from shows again, but then they got all wonky because I was messing up the construction. So I decided to really do a brief refresher (I had forgotten a lot) and then some practice from imagination. And uh. Some space filler. 'Cause there was a lot of empty space. My compositional skills are just soooo good you guys, I dunno why they don't have me doing TAD videos I mean seriously.

The green dude is kind of a brief idea for the Changeling CHoW, which I might tackle, if time allows!

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Once again nothing much, but Tuesdays never have much. I'm always very busy at the start of the week, and it looks like I'll be busy for a lot of this week...

So I spent like 15 minutes this morning doing those Changeling heads, and about 45 minutes on the little cartoony self-portrait thing. Tuesdays are for fun. I spend all day doing work I have to do for class, I don't like feeling like I'm working when I sit down to draw.

The cord for the headphones cuts through the hand, bag strap and pocket in a bad way, and those headphones... I never understood why people took "no reference" as some kind of badge of honour. Really unless you're amazing it just makes your shit look bad. Like that.

This is what's in those headphones though.

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know I already said this, but I'll just say it again--crazy improvement in your faces and figures. I'm really impressed with your figures from imagination you put up a couple days ago.

Your self portrait is looking good! Only thing I'd suggest is that the figure as a whole seems a little off-balance. In that sort of pose, where most of the weight is on the straight, unbent leg, the body will naturally tend to shift so that the weight-bearing leg lines up with the center of gravity.

I hope that made sense and wasn't as rambly as I think. But anyway, that can be pretty easily fixed with the transform tool and a few manual tweaks. Overall, though, it's a great drawing, and I'm really liking the simplified style Keep up the great work!

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Meps For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Meps! I see what you mean about that, I kinda felt like something was off there but I wasn't sure what. I'm so new to Photoshop I've never really made use of the transform tool, I'm definitely gonna have to mess around with it.

Figure dump! Lots of work this week, not much time for drawing. I keep avoiding working on the CHoW thing.

Going to see this guy tomorrow though, hope I can squeeze in some drawing time.

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Conceptart

Little drawing time today, but I got to see one of my faaaaavourite musicians since I was like 12, who I never thought I'd ever get to see.

So this is all I managed. But it's cool. 'Cause omg. I feel so happy.

yay

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi...thanks for the visit and kind words over my way.

Loved that video on "creativity"...now saved to my favs on YouTube.

It's great to see all your work since my last visit. The line work on this one to the right is very good!

- A man diligent and skillful in his work will stand before kings -
    - All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty -

"You can't design what you don't know." Jeff Watts (as seen in Windmaker's SB)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4