Sketchbook: Nemo's Sketches

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Nemo's Sketches

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nemo's Sketches

Hello.

I've now come back to this site 100% thanks to Blackspot who's attempting to revitalise The Daily Sketch Group which was the first reason I joined CA.org two years ago. I approve of this and will try to make it into a habit to warm up with these subjects.

Anyways, this is my sketchbook thread from before. It didn't come very far but I've got a bunch of sketches and new ideas to fill it out with. My big pieces are found in my portfolio, and my practises, WIPs and general talk is in my blog who's links can be found in my signature. This page will serve it's purpose for all things sketch, not necessarily very edited.

I always say this but I'm always up for talking with equally design minded people, or those who are curious about it. Send me a message if you don't know any better!

(First image is new, for the new thumbnails)

Attached Images Attached Images                
    Last edited by Nemodab; May 10th, 2014 at 06:04 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your style. Keep 'em coming.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to IIIV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Returned

Hello! I've returned, after not really starting properly hehe. I got stuck with only doing elaborate huge projects that wouldn't fit here in the Sketchbook. But now with studying a lot I don't really have time for that, so I try to get my ideas down quickly instead. As well as forcing me to get faster, like the industry require. Here are a few pictures of different speed and time, that never quite finished or required more, not any older than a few months at least. The latest is the one in the woods (as you might see), trying to get them environments started.

I'll post another version one out of the same concept next week. Take care!

/Johanna Stålberg (Nemodab)

Last edited by Nemodab; February 12th, 2012 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Old sketches and new anatomy

I found my old folder with a lot of torn out bits of paper in, paper bits with something drawn on! School and college was a time of a lot of scribbles while listening to teachers etc. At the bottom are a few, most are from college but the cat with a tie is from 4-5 years ago. The creation of randomness is too weird, but fun.

I brought my sketchpad to bed one night and started drawing some human anatomy quite loosely from the top of my head. I've never had very good faith in myself when it comes to drawing people as I was always an animal person as a kid, but something clicked and I really quite enjoyed making these. Pen without pencil is a great way for practicing problem solving, and trying to prevent the problems from arising hehe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The return of the sketches!

Mostly active on the daily sketch group now http://www.conceptart.org/forums/for...Y-SKETCH-GROUP but I'm also working a few other more theoretic practises. I've got two collections from the daily sketches, two of the newer sketches and a few random sketches! It's a bit of a random bunch anyways just to catch up on this thread.

I've been mixing and playing around with different tools to find the easiest, nicest and fastest way to sketch. Right now I'm either using a physical sketchbook with a mechanical pencil or I'm using the chalk basic brush in Photoshop. It makes a nice render and feels good and loose while drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Three sketches finished today, productive day! Even though two of them were made during the last 5 days, but finishing something is the biggest achievement these days. They sort of get a similar rendering when they get complete on the same day too. They all got a bit melancholy, plus playing around with gradient sliders made them really contrasty. Though the alien is rendered in respect of H. R. Giger who just passed away, he was a great artist and inspiration.

Remember to visit/contribute to the Daily Sketch Group if you're looking for some fun sketch tasks. http://www.conceptart.org/forums/for...Y-SKETCH-GROUP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Found a link to http://artists.pixelovely.com/practi...igure-drawing/ the other day through browsing other people's sketchbooks and thought I'd give it a go. The whole 30 second, or even 10 minute, timer isn't for me though. I'd rather have the time to think about where all the lines go than to rush the general shape, but I see how that kind of practise can help some. Anyways I spent 1 hour or so on each, pretty happy with them as human anatomy is something I've been working on bettering for a while. Just need my camera, instead of my poor phone to take the pictures with next time..

First photo reference was by Marcus J. Ranum, second is Hong Ly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The vehicles are super. Pretty original designs. You add a lot of squiggly details, which look great, but I think they hold back the way you draw. The figure studies look a bit stiff. Try throwing around the lines in a loose way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your creatures

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Eminkey, I'm doing way too few vehicle sketches these days I'll definitely start varying myself a bit more! Now that you say it they look incredibly stiff yea, it's just when I approach a new subject I always start looking at it in a very mechanical and theoretical manner. I'll see if I feel comfortable enough to bend the rules a little on my next study, always helpful to get something pointed out to think extra about.

I'm glad you like my creatures Gjergji! They've always been dear to me as fables and mythology always has kept my mind excited in drawing and designing. Just like your cool characters seem to have done to you

Not a big update today, been a bit too busy spring cleaning etc to gather any big amount of sketches. But I'm pretty happy about them, a creature and a lady for the daily sketches, exactly what I'm interested in designing right now. Her face was a happy accident, or I subconciously know what I'm doing now. The body took a bit more thinking to get right though. Bought the ImagineFX's book about anatomy (volume 2) during a trip and just reading and thinking about all the theories help loads! Anyways, to the pictures:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Three more sketches from the daily sketch group. All pencil this time! Going to change it up for the next few ones and start digital from skratch, it's just so nice sitting outside drawing when it's sunny though. Will depend on the weather I guess Only the old woman one has been edited with the digital brush, the other ones I kind of go crazy with the sliders to make them something more than just paper sketches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your photo studies have added qualities not found in the photos, and I can tell this even without having seen the photos. I admire the idiosyncrasy of your design choices and your appreciation of it in general which is higher than average. I think "incoming storm" is your best, a lot of smart ideas in that, there's a sense of heaviness in the cloud and type of slow motion that I don't know the word for something like inevitability. Sometimes your work appears "flat" but sometimes you bust through with real transcriptions that are believable.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Members who have read this thread: 43