Thread: Tennis Elbows?

Thanks

Tennis Elbows?

Hey guys I really need some advice. I've got a Uni assignment due in tomorrow which involves 6 A3 digipaintings. I could finish it off if I keep plodding along but My elbows seem to be flaming up, not to mention my hands are getting quite achy, numb and weak.

Has anyone experienced this? Would it be worth continuing on to get the assignment finished or drop it and see a doctor?
    Visit my sketchbook Here
    Or my Blog Here

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    Don't tell me you have all six paintings still unfinished?
    Anyway, whether you decide to continue or not, you still should go to the doctor, especially if the pain has continued for a longer time. And achy, numb and weak hands are a good indication to take break. Also you probably ought to draw with your shoulder and not with elbows if possible.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Some are finished, some just need touching up. Will take a solid effort to get it done by the deadline though. The elbow on my keyboard hand is the main problem, I know I shouldn't rest it how I do but haven't been able to find a way to stop myself. I just had an eight hour break sleep and am still feeling everything.
    Visit my sketchbook Here
    Or my Blog Here

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Quinn View Post
    The elbow on my keyboard hand is the main problem, I know I shouldn't rest it how I do but haven't been able to find a way to stop myself.
    Hmm, what I do to stop myself on resting my arm badly against a table (I tend to hold it so that the edge pushes into to my arm) is that I apply ice gel very liberally to my whole arm so I immediately notice if I lay my arm against the table, which depending on how you should keep your arm may help on getting rid of the habit.

Depending on how important this is I'd personally either stop and go to the doctor asap and try to get some sort of diagnose that I can use to explain why the stuff isn't ready, but if this some sort of "I must finish these or I'll fail the whole class which will destroy the whole course" thing, then I'd curse myself (or the teachers) on leaving it this short a notice, pop some painkillers, apply ice gel and try not to move the elbow as much as possible, take frequent breaks and try to pull through and then go to the doctor as soon as possible.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Na I think I'm gonna pull the plug on this assignment. The tutors should be empathetic about my situation. The last think I want to do is keep aggravating it and cause long term damage to my arms/hands if I haven't all ready.

Thanks for the advice though, I might try out that ice gel trick after I've seen a doctor and know a bit better about the situation.
    Visit my sketchbook Here
    Or my Blog Here

Thanks
    Sounds like an inflammation issue, what does your diet look like and do you exercise using weights ?
    blog

Quote Originally Posted by Vhan juju
    I don't know what happend to guys like you gruve24, but whatever it is, it sure has a way of destroying hearts...

Thanks
    For diet I am gluten and lactose intolerant and stay strictly away from both otherwise I eat well. Meat, Vege, fruit, rice. Not a lot of snack foods. Love coffee.

Barely done any exercise lately and have never really committed to doing weights. I think the cause would be the time I spend behind a computer for my studies.
    Visit my sketchbook Here
    Or my Blog Here

Thanks
    Your not getting any healthy fat in your diet, compounded by the fact that you don't do any upper body strength training. You might even try a good quality glucosamine supplement, but without healthy fats and exercise your problem will only get worse.

absolutely nothing to do with your computer usage.
    blog

Quote Originally Posted by Vhan juju
    I don't know what happend to guys like you gruve24, but whatever it is, it sure has a way of destroying hearts...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gruve24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just a general note, if you sacrifice your health for your job/studies, your priorities are backwards. Bear in mind joint problems are almost always repetitive injuries. Prevention and taking care of yourself are the only real cures. Making a habit of injuring yourself to meet deadlines while young will make your life miserable when you're older and it all catches up. It may seem more worth it in the moment, but it rarely REALLY is.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Strato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Alright, after I get my doctors and tutors opinions I'll work on a game plan to get my health back up. Thanks for the input guys.
    Visit my sketchbook Here
    Or my Blog Here