Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Toffers's Sketchbook - The art of insecurity

Thanks
    You make beautiful use of color in your landscapes.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to CarmenJudy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

CarmenJudy: Thanks a lot! I actually try to tone back on the color, since everything looks so saturated. Though I hope I don't lose the "crazy" color I have now : )
    Thanks again : P

JackAnimated: I'll probably comment in your sketchbook right after this...
    anyways, thanks, man : )
    What you say makes total sense, I try that regularly when doing this. Only problem being that I have an awful spatial awareness. I suck at this sort of 3d to paper transition, though I'm practicing to get that workin'. As for burne hogarth, I'm actually getting a book to look at at some point. Bridgman has become my bible now regarding hands >_>
    But thanks again : )

I'm back again, after some painful personal stuff. I've got some shit done for now, and in the middle I ended up thinking " you know what I don't have enough of ? STUDIES!" then just going on to do two portrait studies. I need to do more people, since that's what I love the most to paint...
    Noticed that I've gotten too caught up in environments lately, but the studies I've done can't hurt. Probably going to get lost in it again at some point : )
    Anyways, here are the two portrait studies I did:

Attachment 1338449
    Attachment 1338448

Some of my sketches. 10 thumbnail-ish value...thingies, and some other crud that I thought was funny.

Attachment 1338447
    Attachment 1338446

Some quick environments in the same series as the last one I did. I recorded both of them, but only uploaded one to youtube.

Attachment 1338450
    Attachment 1338452

Just some random 2 min sketches from the Daily show. Idk, I didn't have much to do at the time, while watching this one interview.

Attachment 1338444
    Attachment 1338445

Here's the speedpaints, you gotta love the music : )

If you ever have any questions, or you want help, all you need to do is shoot me a message.
    Can't hurt, right?

CA Sketchbook | Portfolio | Tumblr

Thanks
    Great update. Loads of paintings and colours

Really great thumbnails and environment speedpaints. Gonna watch your videos to see how you did them, then do some of my own.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Great style, man — keep it up! =)

Try to capture a single idea, then sit down and brainstorm the picture composition and its contents as fast as you can, without taking breaks. When you'll be not sure whether you can achieve better detail, just keep on thinking what do you have to do in order to express your idea better. This should help.

Thanks
    JackAnimated: thanks bro. I enjoy making them : )

Nihil_: yeah, thanks. I try to do that for every one of them, kinda, and it does help...most of the time.

Hello, tharr. Back again, with another update. I didn't get to do as much as I wanted to, but I managed to do some stuff at least. School has been abusive to me lately, and so has personal life.

I managed to do a self-portrait. mostly imagination, though I needed to study my own facial structure from some photos I took. of course, the lighting is imagination too. Speedpainting video below.
    Attachment 1345807

Study of a piece of armor. Not much to say. Speedpainting video of it below.

Attachment 1345804

just...random rocks. Kinda fail to be a study, but eh, care.

Attachment 1345809

landscape from imagination, or..forest. Doesn't matter. Fun to figure out the colors, even though it's mostly overlay/color layers over grayscale.

Attachment 1345813

These two next are a bit special. I always wondered how to actually render the mountains, and the trees, as shown. I don't have an awesome brush that " breaks" and creates random rock formations for me, so I have to come along and do shit to make it LOOK like I do. Kinda.
    As for the trees, I never figured out how to render them in a distance.

Attachment 1345815

Attachment 1345816

And, oh, right, this one. a 15 min practice scene-thing. Fun as crap. Found inspiration from another painting on CA , regarding the placement of people. Not much more to say, I'm afraid.
    Attachment 1345817
    And lastly, here they are:

If you ever have any questions, or you want help, all you need to do is shoot me a message.
    Can't hurt, right?

Thanks
    Right, I'm back with a quickie update.
    Got some stuff done, most notably the illustration below.
    I also got this kinda nifty selfportrait that is also available in speedpainting format below.
    Also some other...stuff. Just random doodles.

Though, the illustration. It kinda bugs me that I have this inability to create what I want to create. the crowd in the background was a chore, but I only blame my own idiocy for painting them wrong. So I didn't end up correcting those mistakes I made.
    As for the leader/person/lady in the foreground? I spent about the better part of an hour just figuring out the fucking lighting on that brat. I got it looking good and not too shabby in the beginning, but I had to change it, didn't I? "Just to make a couple of minor corrections," is what I told myself, but that wasn't it. I wonder if I just grew ashamed of the thought of showing this to someone. It mostly looks like what I had in the beginning anyways, so it's weird how I can get lost in absolutely nothing for a while, and gaining almost nothing. That is dangerous to my workflow...

anyways /rant. I have a couple projects coming up, I think. I'll see where those go.

But without further banther, enjoy:

Attachment 1351249

Attachment 1351250

From here on it's pretty much just random shit.

Attachment 1351247

Attachment 1351248

Self portrait speedpainting video thing:
    Last edited by Toffers; October 26th, 2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: For some reason I managed to post the same painting twice. It wasn't even that good....
    Can't hurt, right?

Thanks
    This stuff is mindblowing..POST MORE!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jelmerschmit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    When I saw that the thumbnail was a tiger in a suit I had too click. Your stuff looks cool!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to OHI For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    OHI: Hehehe, well thank you very much. Glad that you enjoy this.

jelmerschmit: Thanks a lot. As you requested, here's moar in this post.

Did this random thing. I have no idea why i did this, but here it is.
    Attachment 1354202

Kind of a failure in design and rendering. Idk why I can't get myself to actually paint people anymore. I need to do more studies to keep the interest up.

Attachment 1354203

Unless you don't know: artrage is extremely hard to use in pure painting mode. Though, I recommend fucking around with it just for the fact that it's kind of weird and interesting. Kinda like that program called alchemy.
    Damn, I gotta download that sometime.

Attachment 1354204

Lastly: some study thing. I couldn't be arsed to work on it more, kinda didn't work out the way I wanted it to anyways. But here it is.

Attachment 1354205

lastly: I have some speedpainting stuff ready for upload, i just have to upload them along with some other stuff I haven't finished yet.
    Can't hurt, right?

Thanks
    Right. Quick update.

made a couple sketches. The second one is actually a bit older than the other, but whatever.

The third one, the illustration...man that gave me a headache. Took me probably 5-6 hours, and I just finished up the editing of the footage to make a speedpainting video. I'll probably edit it in at some point when I get to upload it.

I hope you enjoy! : )

Attachment 1356869

Attachment 1356870

Attachment 1356872
    Can't hurt, right?

Thanks
    Hey Toffers, i am liking them studies!
    It is good that you are applying your studies through personal work.
    something i should do more often.
    I am by no means an authority to critique.. all i can say is really spend some time on drawing fundamentals, it will improve your paintings,such as the figure drastically.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lumens For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lumens: yeah, you know, you have a point. I need to do more fundamental stuff in the forseeable future. I've for some reason not done so many studies lately. I don't know why. Need to focus on rendering, gestures, and some anatomy for now I guess. Thanks for stopping by : )

Right, I'm sick right now, so I haven't done much. Got a couple of doodles done though, and I just focused on some rendering and color and stuff. Really simple, derivative, but i learned a ton. Especially about creating nice edges and such.

They're all in order of creation. As you can see, from number 1 to number 3 the rendering has improved...though I got lazy on the fire, sorry : )

Attachment 1358774

Attachment 1358775

Attachment 1358776
    Can't hurt, right?

Thanks
    Hey I like your sketchbook, your studies are really fantastic but I love the warrior chick with the army even more (though you should work on the background, just saying). keep on drawing.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Silent-samurai87 For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast