Sketchbook: Toffers's Sketchbook - The art of insecurity - Page 2

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    JackAnimated: thanks bro. I enjoy making them : )

Nihil_: yeah, thanks. I try to do that for every one of them, kinda, and it does help...most of the time.

Hello, tharr. Back again, with another update. I didn't get to do as much as I wanted to, but I managed to do some stuff at least. School has been abusive to me lately, and so has personal life.

I managed to do a self-portrait. mostly imagination, though I needed to study my own facial structure from some photos I took. of course, the lighting is imagination too. Speedpainting video below.
    Name:  Self portrait 02 sb.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  237.3 KB

Study of a piece of armor. Not much to say. Speedpainting video of it below.

Name:  Real life study 20 sb.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  524.3 KB

just...random rocks. Kinda fail to be a study, but eh, care.

Name:  Enviro sketch 03 sb.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  269.9 KB

landscape from imagination, or..forest. Doesn't matter. Fun to figure out the colors, even though it's mostly overlay/color layers over grayscale.

Name:  Speed test 01 sb.jpg
Views: 1094
Size:  456.2 KB

These two next are a bit special. I always wondered how to actually render the mountains, and the trees, as shown. I don't have an awesome brush that " breaks" and creates random rock formations for me, so I have to come along and do shit to make it LOOK like I do. Kinda.
    As for the trees, I never figured out how to render them in a distance.

Name:  Practice mountains 01 sb.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  383.3 KB

Name:  Practice Trees 01 sb.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  335.2 KB

And, oh, right, this one. a 15 min practice scene-thing. Fun as crap. Found inspiration from another painting on CA , regarding the placement of people. Not much more to say, I'm afraid.
    Name:  Practice scene 01.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  216.8 KB
    And lastly, here they are:

If you ever have any questions, or you want help, all you need to do is shoot me a message.
    Can't hurt, right?

CA Sketchbook | Portfolio | Tumblr
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Right, I'm back with a quickie update.
    Got some stuff done, most notably the illustration below.
    I also got this kinda nifty selfportrait that is also available in speedpainting format below.
    Also some other...stuff. Just random doodles.

Though, the illustration. It kinda bugs me that I have this inability to create what I want to create. the crowd in the background was a chore, but I only blame my own idiocy for painting them wrong. So I didn't end up correcting those mistakes I made.
    As for the leader/person/lady in the foreground? I spent about the better part of an hour just figuring out the fucking lighting on that brat. I got it looking good and not too shabby in the beginning, but I had to change it, didn't I? "Just to make a couple of minor corrections," is what I told myself, but that wasn't it. I wonder if I just grew ashamed of the thought of showing this to someone. It mostly looks like what I had in the beginning anyways, so it's weird how I can get lost in absolutely nothing for a while, and gaining almost nothing. That is dangerous to my workflow...

anyways /rant. I have a couple projects coming up, I think. I'll see where those go.

But without further banther, enjoy:

Name:  Self portrait 03.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  290.1 KB

Name:  something female attempt 3.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  256.0 KB

From here on it's pretty much just random shit.

Name:  Doodles 01.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  243.2 KB

Name:  Practice mecha 01.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  195.8 KB

Self portrait speedpainting video thing:

Last edited by Toffers; October 26th, 2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: For some reason I managed to post the same painting twice. It wasn't even that good....
    If you ever have any questions, or you want help, all you need to do is shoot me a message.
    Can't hurt, right?

Thanks
    This stuff is mindblowing..POST MORE!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jelmerschmit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    When I saw that the thumbnail was a tiger in a suit I had too click. Your stuff looks cool!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to OHI For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    OHI: Hehehe, well thank you very much. Glad that you enjoy this.

jelmerschmit: Thanks a lot. As you requested, here's moar in this post.

Did this random thing. I have no idea why i did this, but here it is.
    Name:  Doodles 04.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  199.0 KB

Kind of a failure in design and rendering. Idk why I can't get myself to actually paint people anymore. I need to do more studies to keep the interest up.

Name:  Doodles 05.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  203.5 KB

Unless you don't know: artrage is extremely hard to use in pure painting mode. Though, I recommend fucking around with it just for the fact that it's kind of weird and interesting. Kinda like that program called alchemy.
    Damn, I gotta download that sometime.

Name:  Noble Douche.jpg
Views: 1940
Size:  273.7 KB

Lastly: some study thing. I couldn't be arsed to work on it more, kinda didn't work out the way I wanted it to anyways. But here it is.

Name:  Real life study 21.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  260.6 KB

lastly: I have some speedpainting stuff ready for upload, i just have to upload them along with some other stuff I haven't finished yet.

Can't hurt, right?

Thanks
    Right. Quick update.

made a couple sketches. The second one is actually a bit older than the other, but whatever.

The third one, the illustration...man that gave me a headache. Took me probably 5-6 hours, and I just finished up the editing of the footage to make a speedpainting video. I'll probably edit it in at some point when I get to upload it.

I hope you enjoy! : )

Name:  Doodles 03.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  162.8 KB

Name:  Doodles 06.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  237.6 KB

Name:  Dwarven captain .jpg
Views: 1948
Size:  295.1 KB

Can't hurt, right?

Thanks
    Hey Toffers, i am liking them studies!
    It is good that you are applying your studies through personal work.
    something i should do more often.
    I am by no means an authority to critique.. all i can say is really spend some time on drawing fundamentals, it will improve your paintings,such as the figure drastically.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lumens For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lumens: yeah, you know, you have a point. I need to do more fundamental stuff in the forseeable future. I've for some reason not done so many studies lately. I don't know why. Need to focus on rendering, gestures, and some anatomy for now I guess. Thanks for stopping by : )

Right, I'm sick right now, so I haven't done much. Got a couple of doodles done though, and I just focused on some rendering and color and stuff. Really simple, derivative, but i learned a ton. Especially about creating nice edges and such.

They're all in order of creation. As you can see, from number 1 to number 3 the rendering has improved...though I got lazy on the fire, sorry : )

Name:  Doodles 07.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  298.5 KB

Name:  Doodles 08.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  217.7 KB

Name:  Doodles 09.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  240.7 KB

Can't hurt, right?

Thanks
    Hey I like your sketchbook, your studies are really fantastic but I love the warrior chick with the army even more (though you should work on the background, just saying). keep on drawing.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Silent-samurai87 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Silent-samurai87: Thanks brah. And naw, I won't work on that painting more, it was a quick(yeah right) experiment to see how I'd fare at an illustration after only doodling and studying for a while. Thanks for stopping by : )

Still....kinda sick. Ok, pretty sick. Though that gives me time and not the energy to paint...therefore I've painted... more than usually actually, when I think about it.

Did two portraits...badly, of Alissa White-gluz, and Lisa Foiles. Idk why I had to paint them, I guess it's for my newfound near-fetishism for them : )

Then I did a random painting, focusing on edges, values, lighting and such. Just trying to get the basics right on him.
    Then I remaked one of my self portraits...that was cool to do. I feel like I've improved a lot since last time, do you? I actually find my rendering ability improvement...uncanny. Mostly because, well, what you see here on CA is what I do. I don't paint any more than this, except maybe a couple failed sketches, as well as some various perspective exercises...Anyways, here ya go.

Name:  Alissa White-gluz 01.jpg
Views: 6074
Size:  384.4 KB

Name:  Lisa foiles 01.jpg
Views: 1678
Size:  521.4 KB

Name:  Extraction.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  261.3 KB

Name:  Self portrait 04.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  368.0 KB

Can't hurt, right?

Thanks
    Right, well....I've been kinda swamped, as well as lazy as of late. For the first time in what I think is years, I've been able to relax, and just space out...with Skyrim. It's kinda sad, really. The only other way to do this is the excellent game Dwarf Fortress, but a chance of that getting updated before Christmas is slim at best.
    Other than that, lots of depression(not the emo kind) has made it kind of hard to do anything, really, and I find most of the time I have just pissed away at something meaningless. And I just got back from watching Breaking Dawn part 1....That did NOT help at all. What a piece of absolute shit that was, huh? Oh well, I'll try to do something tomorrow!
    Some studies would be nice, as well as an entry for a little contest.

Now, except for the first one here, I'm actually genuinely a little embarrassed to post this...It's all I've got right now, nothing else. Just 20 minute doodles.

First one is a kind of unconventional self portrait. 2nd and 3rd are both just doodles. The 4th is something I did while trying to make some recording software work. Lastly, the 5th is ...well, it's grind, basically. It's just some warm up, to creating something. You can see that I kind of had no "go" in the beginning, starting to get meaningful and kind of cool in the middle towards the end, and at the end I just say fuck it. I'll be doing this every day at least, to warm up.

And no replies to the other posts? well, shit. Makes me feel unimportant sometimes.

Name:  Protect me.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  167.6 KB

Name:  Assassin deluxe.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  204.7 KB

Name:  Binary stuff.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  359.8 KB

Name:  Some Forest.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  316.8 KB

Name:  Motherfucking heads.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  166.8 KB

Can't hurt, right?

Thanks
    Jesus christ, i would say these are awesome, but then again id be lieing, such an understatement

Please take some time to check out my blog http://fmpbmet.blogspot.com/ or follow ab_bre_vi_ate on Twitter. Thank you

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dannyphoto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Dannyphoto : Thanks, man. I don't think it's too impressive myself, especially considering the people that frequent this site, but thanks to you! Appreciate it : )

I did some studies. I have a competition image I'm creating, and it's so fucking full of detail that I might just go fuck myself in the eye socket rather than to anything remotely similar today, or the next few days. So studies it is. I also did a rather loose b&w shot of some ritualistic dance, just to take my mind of all the tests at school right now.

I don't really know where I'm going generally, I feel like I need advice from someone who KNOWS studying. What the fuck am I doing right now? I don't know, but I'll at least keep trying!

here they are, in all their study-glory.

Name:  Landscape study 02.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  346.4 KB

Name:  Landscape study 03.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  359.8 KB

Name:  Landscape study 04.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  327.7 KB

Name:  Ritual.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  181.3 KB

Can't hurt, right?

Thanks
    Hahahaha! I know, right?
    Name:  I know right.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  271.6 KB

Can't hurt, right?

Thanks
    Nice sketch book so far man. The enjoyed seeing the dog with the glasses XD and i could recognize the daily show before I even read the comments! Looking at your stuff makes me have the urge to practice environments again. Anyway Keep posting!

Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Wingal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wingal: Thanks a lot, man. Glad you like it : )

Been gone for a while. Busy workin' in stuff.

Here, I'll show you something funny. The one to the left is the first attempt.I used about 10-20 minutes just going " what the fuck do I do??". The second is, well, the second attempt. i used about the same amount of time, just that this time I was prepared.

Name:  Portrait imagination.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  94.8 KBName:  Portrait imagination 2.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  221.9 KB
    Study. Just wanted something different, and I wanted to figure something out for once. THIS was hard as shieeet. Have to do it again, sometime.
    Name:  A-Cup-of-Coffee-Against-Wrinkles.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  278.2 KB
    I don't know, I just like doing these kind of things. warm up sketch.
    Name:  Mine.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  142.2 KB

tried some new things. Failed. Was cool with it.

Name:  Fucking village people maaan.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  160.1 KB

Can't hurt, right?

Thanks
    Name:  Real life study 23.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  274.1 KB

Name:  09_prince_nuada.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  203.7 KB

Name:  Just some forest.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  323.3 KB

Name:  Portrait imagination 4.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  147.1 KB

Just some studies and stuff...ehhh. I haven't done so much as I would've liked to do; I've been away for christmas, and I've been sick for a week or so. Anyways, here's an update.

Can't hurt, right?

Thanks
    Made a self-portrait last night. Obviously I used some reference for the head, but the rest was simply cold hard construction. I don't know. I think I'm getting better. What do you think ?

Name:  Sci fi Self portrait.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  383.1 KB

Can't hurt, right?

Thanks
    Hey man, you are improving really fast!
    great values and textures, especially on the one with the knight!
    Cheers mate!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to knut- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Knut: Thanks man, appreciated.

Name:  Journey's end2.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  228.8 KB

Name:  Noah Antwiler.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  117.2 KB

Name:  Study 0001.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  186.1 KB

Name:  Study 0002.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  176.2 KB

Last edited by Toffers; January 26th, 2012 at 06:19 AM.
    Can't hurt, right?

Thanks
    Finished this yesterday.
    Name:  Grayscale quickies 01.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  181.7 KB

Can't hurt, right?

Thanks
    Name:  Atmosphere.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  169.7 KB

Name:  The bar.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  245.5 KB

Can't hurt, right?

Thanks
    Did another scene. I'm liking this more and more. Still need more studies, though, and I'll get on that ,I swear!

Name:  Poker.jpg
Views: 1940
Size:  248.5 KB

Can't hurt, right?

Thanks
    Great sketchbook here Toffers, be more positive about your work, the way you paint/ render has gotten a lot cleaner and a lot sharper since you began this thread.

One thing I would say about portrait drawing and figure drawing is to study the skeleton, muscles etc. to get a better understanding about what's going on underneath. I think the studies you have done are useful in that you're learning about rendering hair, skin etc. but there doesn't seem to be a complete understanding of structure. (I hope I'm not being over presumptuous, i'm no expert myself )

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow, dude , you've got some cool stuff here! Definetely want to see more!I really enjoyed your speedpainting videos too.Good job!

I am Othrandir and Othrandir means me.

E-MAIL : NICKOLAYORDANOV@GMAIL.COM

PORTFOLIO

Twitter

Tumblr

CGHub

DA

Sketchbook

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Othrandir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey!
    Really nice stuff man.
    Thanks for commenting my sketchbook.

In my opinion you have a pretty strong sense for colors and the overall brush work, where to use what brush, ...
    You need now to concentrate on anatomy a little bit more. Your heads tend to be a little bit too big.
    Just work your ass on anatomy off and this will come along very nice.

Keep it up dude.
    4 stars btw

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Lukas Esch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hunin: Thanks a lot, man. I appreciate all of it.
    And yeah, I know, I know, about the underlying
    features I need to understand. It's something
    that I've been meaning to do for a long time, but
    haven't gotten around to. I need to force myself
    to do it sometime soon, haha.

Rastaray: Thanks to you too, glad that you enjoy
    my work. Also that you like the videos. I need to
    make more of those... anyways, thanks for
    stopping by!

Silwynar: You're welcome, fun doing that paintover
    thingie. And I know, I started noticing recently that
    my proportions are fucked up, hahaha. Well, maybe
    it's because I've been so used to drawing Dwarves
    for the Bay12 community over the past few months,
    that I've integrated it a little in my work. Got me
    some Bridgman books( three, in fact) and I'm going
    to hit up some Andrew Loomis soon too. Thanks for
    the advice, since I really need people to bash my
    skull in with these things. 4 stars though? Thanks
    a lot, I really appreciate that. Thanks for stopping
    by too.

Some images, in reverse order of creation. The first
    one was interesting to me, so I had to paint it.
    The colors of the filter that was applied to the photo
    was something that I'm not used to so I wanted to
    earn about the colors. I didn't think too much,
    though, while doing it, which is kinda sad, hahaha.
    The black and white one was just a quick figure
    thingie, that I dragged out over the course of, I
    don't know, an hour or maybe even two. I'm too
    much of a perfectionist, and I try to go above my
    own skill level, which ultimately ruins my work, so I
    need to bring myself down sometimes.
    Landscape thingie I did just because. I felt like I
    needed to do some practice. Went through a lot of
    changes, and I repainted it perhaps 4 times. Good
    practice, although the result wasn't exactly top notch.

Name:  Study 0004.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  163.7 KB
    Name:  Study 0003.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  105.0 KB
    Name:  something new.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  228.8 KB

Can't hurt, right?

Thanks
    I love the mood the last one creates! I think some of the rocky formations could have been grouped + perhaps some overlapping to create more depth.

"The one hope of producing better work is through the conception,not the material"
    -Andrew Loomis

MY BLOG

MY SKETCHBOOK

AnimationForum

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Nubian_Greene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some nice stuff around here, just keep at it!

42. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nubian_Greene: Awesome of you to comment here on my sketchbook. And of course you are
    absolutely right. I tried out a couple more mock experiments, but my computer froze. I have
    to say that it worked better that way. I need to think more when I paint, even like that. Thank you!

kidult: Thanks to you too. I'm flattered. I'll be painting a lot over the next couple days, so I'll keep things going.

I was sick for about a week. I'm really not sick that often,
    and if so then not like that. Shit was divine, the way I
    managed to puke my guts out. Well, that didn't happen
    too much. After that I did some sketches, and then later
    a mock up poster for one of my favourite bands : Meshuggah.
    Nothing more, other than a lot of IRL sketchbook sketches,
    but then again I never post those things, do I.

Name:  Cherished.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  288.5 KB

Name:  Just random shit.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  144.1 KB

Can't hurt, right?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 247