Gnomon's Entertainment Design Program - No International Students

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gnomon's Entertainment Design Program - No International Students

I'm nearing the end of a five year sentence in a ridiculously unsatisfactory program (Interactive Multimedia Design at Carleton). This has lead me to reassess my priorities and goals, and while initially I felt myself split between programming and 2d/3d art, lately I've been feeling a firm tug from the world of art.

It's kind of unfortunately, really, because I'm a far better programmer and web developer than I am an artist. Still, digital painting has been my hobby since I was fourteen, so I'm not so horrible - but an absolute lack of formal education in the matter has left me in a very awkward position.

To be plain, I want to go to Gnomon. It's quite clear that the two year Digital Production for Entertainment is currently out of my reach. Still, there is the Entertainment Design program that makes my mouth water a little. Unfortunately, I'm too-damn-Canadian, and the ED program isn't open to international students since they can't issue I-20s for student visas.

I'm sure lots of people have been in this position - is it effectively an inconquerable impasse? Or is there anything I can do?

Currently I'm considering going to Sheridan College instead, to take their one year art fundamentals course to build a solid traditional portfolio, and then take another stab at Gnomon afterwards. Still, that Entertainment Design program looks absolutely wonderful, and if there is any way to overcome the obstacle presented by my nationality, I'd love to hear it.

Portfolio: 8 Point Font
    irshadkarim on deviantART
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try calling them and see if they can help you with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by chil3 View Post
    Try calling them and see if they can help you with it.
    I'd gotten in touch with the admissions people earlier in the summer. This is more of a last-ditch effort to see if there are any immigration-gymnastics I could look into to get around the student visa issue. Sadly, I don't think there's much hope there, so I'll probably just work myself to the bone on my portfolio and see if I can improve enough over the next year on my own. If I can't.. I'm off to Sheridan!

Portfolio: 8 Point Font
    irshadkarim on deviantART

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you and I have a lot in common. I also ex-programmer. I got my BSc in IT - worked as Programmer for a year - never study art before (always in engineering-focused school since middle-school, the art classes I had was a joke) just to ended up wanted to draw-paint. I different is that, I came from the opposite part of the world (quite literally, 12-13 hours different) and the entertainment art classes we've got there is still fall behind for, like, 10-20 years.

Last year, I was in the similar situation as you. I wanted to study the Entertainment Design Program but they can't provide the student Visa.

What I ended up doing is, taking another school's full-time program (so they can provide M-1 visa) and then while doing that, hop around LA area to take short classes or workshops.

My school of choice was LAAFA because it was quite close and doesn't cost as much as if I to take a normal university's BFA course ...which turn out to be wonderful choice for me because I can focus on improving my art (I don't need to take other classes, like history, for example) and I ended up find out that I enjoy drawing/painting traditionally more than digital. Also since there's a lot of classes/workshop around here, you can take short classes/ workshop from Gnomon, Concept Design Academy, Red Engine, etc. and choose only what class you wanted to take, without having the course structure laid out for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kinda off topic question, but ZeonmkII, are you currently taking sessions classes or are you going to be starting the full-time next quarter? Have I seen you around school before?

To second ZeonmkII that is also exactly what I'm doing. For an international student I think this gives you the most options as the LA area is full of different schools and classes. If you're still interested in Gnomon after a year at laafa for a traditional portfolio, you're already relocated... as they're in the same greater LA area.

Last edited by Cadaure; August 19th, 2011 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^--- Yes, I'm pretty sure you've seen me around before. I'm the (asian) guy with long hair, beards and mustaches who always wear black shirts.

Members who have read this thread: 1