Thanks

Opening sequence storyboard for feature(horror)

Hi all.
    I can't share the details about this film as it is in early stages of production. All I can say is that it involves an old indian legend during 1950's and that it will be a theatrical release.
    This here is just an opening sequence, I'm storyboarding the whole film but not nearly as detailed as this.

Just for clarification, towards the end of this sequence, those three standing around the fire are actually burning a local boy.
    Being familiar with the whole scrypt, it gives me chills just writing this. It's gonna be a scary one...

I will post more in time as I'm allowed and let you know when it's going to be released(most likely fall) and, of course, the title.

C & C most welcome and appreciated...

Thank you!
    Opening sequence storyboard for feature(horror) Opening sequence storyboard for feature(horror) Opening sequence storyboard for feature(horror) Opening sequence storyboard for feature(horror) Opening sequence storyboard for feature(horror) Opening sequence storyboard for feature(horror) Opening sequence storyboard for feature(horror) Opening sequence storyboard for feature(horror) Opening sequence storyboard for feature(horror) Opening sequence storyboard for feature(horror) Opening sequence storyboard for feature(horror)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    these are nice, great sense of light and shade...

Thanks
    Looks very interesting... i like it a lot. I want to view the end!!.
    To be olny a storyboard is very detailed...

The man who is in fire, at the end ot the storyboard, is the boy placed of the other side of the river some frames before??

Good job
    Freelancer Artist

Thanks
    very nice. I can visualize it pretty well. it's nice that you included little details like leaves casting shadows and that you put some effort into the facial expressions.

I think in the panel with the fat guy holding a cup, he seriously needs some eyelids - looks like his eyes are about to pop out.

and like you said, it's not obvious at first glance that they are burning a human (and not an animal for example). I don't know if that is the intention of the director.

Thanks
    those look great!

Thanks
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments...

Pichuerca,
    Yeah, only this sequence is detailed because it is meant for a pitch for investors, along with the sctypt. The rest will be only for the crew to use, mostly D.O.P. and director, therefore very simply drawn just enough to show what's going on.

apocalypse-cow,
    the eye-lid issue is right, I think, as he is being told the legend by the other guy and is pretty scared and not looking forward to continue the search the next day

No, the kid that is burning in the fire towards the end doesnt appear alive at all, the scene is just showing a ritual where they burn kids. The evil one turns around and notices the two guys that are looking for a missing boy(with rifles). The two are horrified by what they see and that's the end of the opening sequence and the credits roll.
    After that, the action takes place thirty years later with a group of teenagers visiting the same place for a camping trip.
    That's all I can really say for now, sorry.
    I'll post more as it develops and as they allow me to

Thanks again for the comments, keep'em coming.

Thanks
    oh, now that I look back at it, there's one more thing about the kid-burning picture. - the burning body itself doesn't cast any shadows and thus appears to be floating. I know the fire is supposed to be the lightsource here but since the fire is more or less on top of the kids body there should be some shadows under the limbs

and in the pic where the guy is standing at the lake there should be some distortions in the water (i.e. in the reflections) - it looks a bit as if the lake is frozen because the surface is so smooth.

of course I know it's only a storyboard and probably these details aren't really neccessary.

Thanks
    Good points! And yes, you're right, if those were individual shots and not just storyboard panels I would surely incorporate all the things you mentioned.
    The producers were more than happy with the amount of detail and how the whole thing plays out so I allowed myself to be a little sloppy at times

Thanks
    Looking good!
    Nice jop on story-board!
    Sjajno!

Thanks
    I have some crit, on the frames following the guy doing the dishes.

There is some confusion to what happens after that:

Does he cross the river, to follow the man? In that case how?

Were is the guy with the hat? does he see the man too?
    Does he follow immediatly or sees the other guy walking off and follows?

otherwise they are pretty good they establish the mood in each frame well.
    I especially like the frame with the guy blowing smoke off the pan.

Thanks
    True, it does seem a bit confusing right there.
    The storyboard is not "tight" and it doesn't cover every single action. This opening sequence goes in the package along with the scrypt, which indicates all that is missed in the panels. I wish I could post the scrypt too but I can't, unfortunately.
    Although I also had some confusion right there with the director I'll try to explain:
    It should be "Ext. Morning" instead of "Ext. Day". The guy with suspenders just woke up and is washing the pot in the lake while the guy with the hat is still sleeping in the tent. He looks across the lake and sees a silhouette of the indian just standing there and staring at him.
    Now, there is a cut there and we pick up where the camera follows the two through the bushes as if they just saw/heard something and going to investigate. It's the crackling fire that they heard and the rest is, I hope, clear.
    Remember that their purpose is to search for the missing boy in the woods. Once the taller guy saw an indian acros the lake(who, mind you, looks more like a member of "Aerosmith" than an indian ) he suspected something worth investigating, woke up the other guy and they continue the search. Also remember that the night before, by the camp fire , the tall guy tells the legend of a "indian ritual" that involves burning children, so they sort of feared that that is what happened to the missing boy and it turned out to be true.
    I hope I cleared some things out rather than confused you even more

Thanks
    fasncinating!
    & so expressive!

Thanks
    Excellent work! I hope the film's as interesting as the storyboards are to read.
    Art student
    ~Livin' large at Watts Atelier.

Thanks
    Be carefull not to spin the camera too much around the characters. Usually 180 degrees is too much and confuses the viewer.

Thanks
    Great stuff, truely sums up the theme of the project !!
    Last edited by Snoozer; May 3rd, 2004 at 05:54 PM.

Thanks
    I love the mood and composition, without reading the script there is little else to say, I guess other than the story is clear in these boards

Inspirational, beautiful!

Thanks
    next goddamnit, i'm so curious now
    love the style too, really makes it look much more interesting. (then it allready is)

Thanks
    Yeah, I know about the axis line and not crossing it. It's a general "rule" and I agree with it, however, sometimes D.O.P. or the director wil break it on purpose, which is what happened here. The panel where they both walk away from the camera they switch sides. They wanted it like that for some reason and I argued it, originally having the shot wrom the above with bot of them on appropreate sides but they asked me to change it. Go figure...
    Nice catch, though egarie.