First book cover commission - how to go about?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

First book cover commission - how to go about?

I just got contacted through my DeviantArt account by a German agency that wanted to use one of my old EoW entries as a non-exclusive book cover. This was a total surprise, cause I haven't actively seeked work yet or even ever gotten paid for my art.

How does the contract things work in this freelance business? Do I just e-mail them and give permission with the number of my bank account?

Their website http://www.guter-punkt.de/index.htm seemed like a proper one, so I guess it's no hoax.

Sorry if the questions seem stupid, I'm just a total noob with these things.

Sketchbook

"You might be disappointed if you fail, but you will be doomed if you don't try"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Research Illustration business practices, Pricing Gudeliines, contracts for artists/illustrators, etc. Every year a book on Graphic Design and Illustration markets comes out and is loaded with good articles. Society of Illustrators may have some good info as well. Just need to do your research...otherwise you aren't really ready.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for your quick reply, Jeff. I know I'm not at all ready business or skill wise, but for a poor student like me the money is tempting. It would feel quite bad to pass an offer like this, even more so cause I've already done the work.

Sketchbook

"You might be disappointed if you fail, but you will be doomed if you don't try"

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,544 Posts
    No, I don't mean to pass on it at all...just do your research though. Also be aware that even solid research will help understand the business practices but you still have to consider the specific context. The more you know about it the better you'll be prepared to decide if what they offer is reasonable and acceptable to you. Buying non-exclusive, one-time rights out of your portfolio is great, but likely won't be for a lot of money. Which is ok. They likely have a fairly standard fee they offer so yeah, take advantage of the situation but just know as much as you can going in.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks again. This offer just was really unexpected, so I'm bit baffled here.

I'll definately have to start doing my home work on this field and try to check that book you mentioned. I'm studying in a totally different field so my knowledge about these things really is non-existant.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ismo View Post
    Thanks again. This offer just was really unexpected, so I'm bit baffled here.

I'll definately have to start doing my home work on this field and try to check that book you mentioned. I'm studying in a totally different field so my knowledge about these things really is non-existant.
    Hey, that's why getting better at art has its benefits. It brings in opportunities unexpected

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This has a lot of useful information. He takes you through the entire process, both with the client and with the painting. It's also available at a ridiculously low price right now.

http://theartdepartment.org/download...r-illustration

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 753 Posts
    No offense to DA, but I'd be a little extra careful with them all the same. If you can, negotiate to get half up front. That way you can't get too screwed over.

Oh, and congrats. It's exciting getting your first gig.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wait, I'm not quite sure what they want--
    Thread title makes it sound like they want to commission a new painting from you, for their book cover.
    Your post sounds like they want to license one of your existing works for a book cover. Two quite different things.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maidith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maidith View Post
    Wait, I'm not quite sure what they want--
    Thread title makes it sound like they want to commission a new painting from you, for their book cover.
    Your post sounds like they want to license one of your existing works for a book cover. Two quite different things.
    Sorry, I mixed the terms. They do want to licence the painting, not commission one. See, I really don't anything about this business.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Well this thing sure was a good reminder of the requirements of professional work. I couldn't find a high res version of the image anywhere so I had to pass the offer. The payment side was also bit more complicated than I thought. Bummer.

So kids, work in 300dpi, always...

I'll better start learning this side of the trade too from now on. It's really not cool to have to pass on offers like this.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Yeah, I know how you feel dude. I just got like 4 illustration offers in the past two weeks, 3 from DA, and I had no idea what I was doing (still don't- just started doing this seriously since February). I ended up ordering the pricing and ethical guidelines book from amazon and it went over anything you could possibly want to know. It sucked that it was only after I had signed up my first contract that I realized I missed some things. Don't make the same mistake. Order it now, before you get your next offer. :thumbsup:

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Lithriel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ismo View Post
    Well this thing sure was a good reminder of the requirements of professional work. I couldn't find a high res version of the image anywhere so I had to pass the offer. The payment side was also bit more complicated than I thought. Bummer.

So kids, work in 300dpi, always...

I'll better start learning this side of the trade too from now on. It's really not cool to have to pass on offers like this.
    If the money was good enough, you could upsample and repaint.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 2