Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Australia, perth
    Posts
    318
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 58 Times in 49 Posts

    book of sketches

    Well I guess I had better set one of these up, here goes.


    newest entries at the end, last at 29/04/14


    Thanks for dropping by!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by pimpwacker; April 28th, 2014 at 02:24 PM.


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Nice start here, love the WH theme.
    And you change the thumbnails by editing 1st post of your thread.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stantz For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Australia, perth
    Posts
    318
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 58 Times in 49 Posts
    portrait of selfness

    Attachment 1293898

    I'm pettier in real life.

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    518
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 127 Times in 106 Posts
    My first observation is that you should be using harder brushes (brushes high in density/opacity whatever you'd call it on what ever program you have.)

    My other observation is that, for the First picture, maybe you should provide a more saturated background...? I dunno, it just looks..listless. But still a decent painting.

    Keep at it.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Featheredface For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Australia, perth
    Posts
    318
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 58 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Featheredface View Post
    My first observation is that you should be using harder brushes (brushes high in density/opacity whatever you'd call it on what ever program you have.)

    My other observation is that, for the First picture, maybe you should provide a more saturated background...? I dunno, it just looks..listless. But still a decent painting.

    Keep at it.
    hmm, yeah, I find that I need the lower opacity to find my values, but I should probably go higher once I have found them so that I can better block them out.

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Australia, perth
    Posts
    318
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 58 Times in 49 Posts
    portrait of my gf, still getting used to painting / drawing from reference

    Attachment 1294584

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    586
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 94 Times in 74 Posts
    I think you need more contrast in your values. Stronger darks and stronger lights. Try going to random images from pbase.org and selecting a few that you like. Ones that have strong values and stick out because of it. Those are the ones that catch your eye so those are the ones you want to be studying.

    De-saturate the reference and work on big, confident strokes at full opacity. Don't hide from it, face it down like the demon it is and conquer it like Sanguinius conquers chaos.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Smoke For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Australia, perth
    Posts
    318
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 58 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    I think you need more contrast in your values. Stronger darks and stronger lights. Try going to random images from pbase.org and selecting a few that you like. Ones that have strong values and stick out because of it. Those are the ones that catch your eye so those are the ones you want to be studying.

    De-saturate the reference and work on big, confident strokes at full opacity. Don't hide from it, face it down like the demon it is and conquer it like Sanguinius conquers chaos.
    Thanks for your advice, although, to be honest, the image of my gf was actually pretty uniform in value, this is more exaggerated than the original photo, but I will definitely look to add some more contrast to my work. I was scared away from it when I was using blacks and whites in low opacity to shade and wound up getting muddy messes. but yeah, high opacity, confidant strokes, lots of squinting, will do, watch this space.

    p.s - Sangi got owned by chaos. poor beggar.

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    T.O via Newfoundland
    Posts
    1,435
    Thanks
    203
    Thanked 589 Times in 481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpwacker View Post
    Thanks for your advice, although, to be honest, the image of my gf was actually pretty uniform in value, this is more exaggerated than the original photo, but I will definitely look to add some more contrast to my work. I was scared away from it when I was using blacks and whites in low opacity to shade and wound up getting muddy messes. but yeah, high opacity, confidant strokes, lots of squinting, will do, watch this space.

    p.s - Sangi got owned by chaos. poor beggar.
    Photos are lame like that. exaggerating is the way to go when working with reference- good call there.

    my suggestion would be to refine a little more- really work out the important stuff like the eyes/mouth.
    Even a little extra time on these areas can really take a painting from a good to a great piece.
    :Below I spent about 1 minuet refining the left eye, just putting down more confident edges- it doesn't take much.

    Hope this helps- happy sketching

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Australia, perth
    Posts
    318
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 58 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhubix View Post
    Photos are lame like that. exaggerating is the way to go when working with reference- good call there.

    my suggestion would be to refine a little more- really work out the important stuff like the eyes/mouth.
    Even a little extra time on these areas can really take a painting from a good to a great piece.
    :Below I spent about 1 minuet refining the left eye, just putting down more confident edges- it doesn't take much.

    Hope this helps- happy sketching
    Wow, thanks for the paint over, I can really see the difference! I'll be sure to put your advice into practice with my next piece.

    before that however, is my last piece, putting some earlier advice into play I increased my brush size and opacity and did a portrait with contrast and emotion in mind.

    Attachment 1295781

    once gain thanks for looking in here and leaving comments and advice, I really appreciate it!

  16. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Australia, perth
    Posts
    318
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 58 Times in 49 Posts
    hey guys, thought I'd upload another, recently bought the Imaginefx anatomy edition and I thought I'd paint this to try to put some anatomy into play, what do you think?

    -- The headhunter

    Attachment 1295982

  17. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Australia, perth
    Posts
    318
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 58 Times in 49 Posts
    today's study, its actually Tyra Banks, even though it doesn't really looks much like her.

    Oh well, I was in it more for the shading practice anyway.

    Attachment 1297374

  18. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Australia, perth
    Posts
    318
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 58 Times in 49 Posts
    A study which I decided to colour, what do you think?

    Attachment 1297542
    Attachment 1297541

  19. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    197
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked 54 Times in 39 Posts
    You seem to be going in the right direction here. Doing work like this is good for every artist.
    Although you've probably heard it before, I'd advise you to look out for "muddy" values, and to try to use the biggest brush you can for the current job, then gradually go smaller, or alternating a little more. That might help with your values.
    Other than that; just keep up the good work : )
    If you ever have any questions, or you want help, all you need to do is shoot me a message.
    Can't hurt, right?

    CA Sketchbook | Portfolio | Tumblr

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Toffers For This Useful Post:


  21. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Australia, perth
    Posts
    318
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 58 Times in 49 Posts
    For a competition run by the student magazine I illustrate for.


    Attachment 1297907

    Its not at what I would call a finished level, but I couldn't be bothered nipping and tucking the last few bits as I'm not really taking the comp seriously.

    - And I never finish anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. SketchBook: My book of sketches...
    By MrDrawsALot in forum Sketchbooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 15th, 2012, 02:55 AM
  2. SketchBook: My book of sketches.
    By Me,Myself & Me again in forum Sketchbooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 8th, 2007, 04:35 AM
  3. SketchBook: book of sketches
    By legacy in forum Sketchbooks
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: March 15th, 2006, 07:13 AM
  4. Some Sketches From my Book
    By Kresh in forum ART CRITIQUE CENTER
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: February 7th, 2004, 04:18 AM
  5. THE BOOK OF SKETCHES (BIG ASS DL)
    By REAU in forum ART CRITIQUE CENTER
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: February 4th, 2004, 01:11 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com