Using a Document Scanner to scan lots of drawings

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Using a Document Scanner to scan lots of drawings

I have a few thousand loose A4 papers with mostly pencil drawings, so I was eyeballing document scanners. As anyone who have tried scanning pencil can attest, finding a scanner which can handle very light marks (even with proper B/W points and warmup) can be difficult (or was, a decade ago). I figure that the situation is even worse with document scanners, which are made for office people who wants to see crisp text on pure white (and no confusing manual settings).

Pure/flat/cropped white reduces file size too, so I'm guessing that document scanners are biased in that regard, though many of them can actually do 24 bit color or 256 level gray. Document scanners rush the papers through (rather than moving the scanner head thing), so I'm not sure if the proportions will come out alright either.

Does anyone here have experience using a document scanner? They seem to be a tad more expensive than flatbed, overall. I'm not sure if you can try these things before you buy. I've considered snailmailing a drawing to a few companies and ask them to scan it, but I'm not sure how they'll respond to that.

Here's an example of a document scanner, in case you wonder what they are.

Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; August 4th, 2011 at 05:26 AM.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i suggest you to buy Brother DSmobile 600 - 600 dpi - Document scanner it's price is just $12o and it is a portable USB scanner that you can take it any where with you and it dont need power to plug you just plug it in to a system and it will easily scan your drowning as yo like it's very good for B/W copy scanning

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 2