Random Chatter - Page 6

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Chatter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Watch the video you linked in the cheer me up thread again!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Smashed_Pumpkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm just...

Tired. :| I can feel tired, right?

Drinking overbrewed, bitter herbal tea...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    smashed Lol you're right! I was afraid of the fraud police, damn them! I pushed through and finally warmed up and got 3 caricatures done this afternoon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay, I bet they're great too!

Why are you tired Velderia? If it's because you've been working so hard then embrace it as a beacon of your good efforts!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smashed_Pumpkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Intheuk View Post
    Been trying to get on with a caricature commission but I keep swinging between an unconvincing "I can do this, I can do this" to a more convincing " I suck! I should give up drawing"
    You have my empathy, I know how that feels. I myself get really horribly anal with every aspect of commissions and basically flood the person with WIPs while screaming "IS THIS OKAY omg tell me if anything's wrong IT MUST BE PERFEEEECT!" and then everything takes forever.
    And I actually managed to procrastinate over a week and put off wrapping up couple commissions because returning to them felt like a huge task... when in reality it took like an hour to finish both :I

On other news, I get sadistic enjoyment from listening couple people in my life drawing class who can't really draw but keep talking how they want to draw from imagination while all the assignments are of drawing from life. I feed from your pain, kids! And imagination drawing is coming after couple meetings, so...

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm considering learning another language or two, just for the fun of it. I took some Spanish classes in high school but I had bad teachers and I wasn't motivated and so I didn't learn much. I learned a bit for the first couple of years and then the teacher was so bad the last year that she basically un-learned everything I had originally learned. Now I remember like 10% of it. Anyway... what languages do you think would be good to learn? I think I'll get back into Spanish, because there's such a huge immigrant population around here not to mention that it's a pretty cool language and I already know a bit. Chinese/mandarin would obviously be a good one to learn but honestly I don't have much interest in the language. I think Icelandic is beautiful but that has to be one of the least practical things I could learn and I only know one Icelandic person who I haven't seen in months anyway. Swedish would also be cool, I know a few Swedes so I could practice. Does anybody have any recommendations for methods of learning?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 795 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think Dutch is a pretty cool language, but like Icelandic it's not very commonly used and will probably not be of much use to you. German could be more useful as it's used in several countries and could be a good gateway into other Germanic languages. German and dutch are very similar to English (we get a lot of our words from these languages as well as the general sentence structure) so they should be easier to pick up than a lot of other languages. Spanish could, similarly, be a stepping stone into other Romantic languages.

Obviously, you can follow a course either in-person or just buy a language workbook and follow it at home. I've found that it's pretty easy to pick up a language on paper but much harder to learn to 'hear' it, so it's best if you can find a class or a language group that meets regularly and chats in the language of your choice so you can practice translating the spoken form of the language. You could also get a language course on CD that you can listen to while you draw (example). If you get to a more advanced level, you could get a book on tape or an album where the lyrics are in your chosen language.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Aw yeah, the original Law and Order is on Netflix now! Now I can watch Jack McCoy verbally kick some criminal ass any time of the day!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I had to learn another language, I'd learn Arabic or Farsi.

Shit. I am afraid of giving my friend false hope. I encouraged him to pursue art if that is what he really wanted, no matter what people said nor his current skills. I believe in him, he has a lot of potential but he claims that his teachers remarked on his lack of talent and that I was the first person who encouraged him. Is he really that bad? Why do people think he's bad?

I am not sure if I did the right thing. I don't want to fuck him up in the long run. But, it's not my position to tell him to give up either.

Last edited by CLANLESS; October 1st, 2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, maybe he should work harder? I don't know, can't really help you on that one.

Honestly I'm wondering if I should give up. I mean, I love art and I would love to pursue a career, but I'm wondering if I'll ever be good enough at it to stand out, and to really become a name in the industry.

And it's not even about being a name in the industry. But I'd like to be able to look at my stuff after a piece is done, lean back in the chair, put my hands behind my head, and say with the utmost truth and confidence, "like a boss"

But I'm wondering if I'll ever reach that skill level, or if I have the potential. I mean, I've progressed since last year a lot, but I'm still can't call myself skilled. And I'm not sure how to get there. I've been studying and drawing, but the stuff doesn't feel like it's getting any better. I would love to learn how to paint, but every time I try to it comes out looking amateurish and bad, and in between school and it's AP classes and girlfriend wanting attention and six hours of sleep, I don't have the eight or twelve hours a day that I want to devote to art

tl;dr: art is stuck in a rut, wat do

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I get so tired and lazy when the light levels go down. I've got 8 24x24" panels I need to cut down and gesso but I really don't want to go outside and set the table saw up. Why can't hardboard just cut itself?

I need to find a local carpenter who wants to trade framing and cutting for apple crumble.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I got bit hard by the writing bug this week I have completed four short horror stories in the last two days. They're all pretty Hitchcock-ish. It's a pretty big breakthrough.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 395 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So i got a DD on dArt 2 days ago.
    It was nice.
    I guess.
    Not many "professional" level people faved and commented it, tho. I guess I still have a very, very, very long way to go till I raise some "artsy" eyebrows.

Pxel....Y U so mediocre?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,536 Times in 3,727 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Most spammers who post a profile picture, have the cheesiest smiles ever. Like that's going to make up click to get away from them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats Pxel. Still waiting til I get a DD or some such.

I just posted on the Wall St thread and pretty much confirmed to myself that I have no idea on what sort of events are happening around the world, ever.

I need to get out and talk to people more. >_>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pxel-congratulations Small victories should always motivating. It's good your left feeling more hungry then complacent.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PxelSlayer View Post
    So i got a DD on dArt 2 days ago.
    It was nice.
    I guess.
    Not many "professional" level people faved and commented it, tho.
    Don't feel bad, considering the overall quality of most DDs and the reasons some admins feature them, I wouldn't wonder if most people overall ignore DDs these days. I mean I'm no where near professional level, but after the "fart-fetish skunk design" DD and hearing "I want to encourage mediocre artists" rather than highlight the really good stuff from the admin I just said yeah no and stopped following them. So not getting attention from pro level people after a DD might not speak about the actual quality of your art.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SmashedP Thanks for the confidence boost! They're ok, I'm not happy with them they turned out more like slightly distorted portraits rather than comic caricatures, but then I sent them to the client to check the likenesses and he's come back with crit on his wife's face looking too pointy! her nose is like a ski slope! I'm not sure he actually wants carictures anyway so I'm just going to stick with the slightly distorted portraits...it's so complicated.

TinyB Aw I don't feel so bad now I'm not the only one I always put off to the last minute too and then wonder why I did. I think though I need that sense of panic to make me focus otherwise I just end up second guessing myself all the time, sounds like a common thing with us creatives

D.M It's never a bad thing to encourage your friends!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a little thing I put together in Logic class today. Let me know what you think. http://soundcloud.com/jkobrin/abstract The mix is really poor and compressed. A lot of the samples weren't supposed to be that loud, I lost some of the synth layers, etc. I'm going to remix it next week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    < that's pretty funny.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    boooo, the girl i like has a boyfriend
    oh well, its not gonna stop me from making silly faces at her

on the bright side, hitting the gym on an average of 4 days a row each week is showing some result!! i'll be my own model soon...i hope

Yo Yo YO Panel of the Week POW

Needs Critique CrimsonBows

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

26. The Following User Says Thank You to SalOnimaruRem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,536 Times in 3,727 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's interesting seeing how many members at CA have sex down as an interest in their profiles.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ...so...we're all more desperate than starving?

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Currently making myself spend at least 1 hour a night learning the Python programming language. I should hopefully be able to program an IRC client soon.

With spending so much time painting, it makes for a different but nice break in how I usually think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    It's interesting seeing how many members at CA have sex down as an interest in their profiles.
    I think that may just be the correct answer. I need to change mine. I may have got it wrong.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you take a quick survey of the student body of my school, horniness WAY out does hunger. I think that we may have to change the stereotype to the "sexually depraved artist"... or maybe that's always been the case?

I remember reading a study when I was in 7th grade that said that out of all professions, visual artists are the most sexually active. That was the day I decided to become an artist...

Hah! I'll have to search for that. From personal experience, it's quite far from the truth.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ^ Haha... Feed the sexually-deprived artists... They need condoms.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Kobryn View Post
    I'm considering learning another language or two, just for the fun of it. I took some Spanish classes in high school but I had bad teachers and I wasn't motivated and so I didn't learn much. I learned a bit for the first couple of years and then the teacher was so bad the last year that she basically un-learned everything I had originally learned. Now I remember like 10% of it. Anyway... what languages do you think would be good to learn? I think I'll get back into Spanish, because there's such a huge immigrant population around here not to mention that it's a pretty cool language and I already know a bit. Chinese/mandarin would obviously be a good one to learn but honestly I don't have much interest in the language. I think Icelandic is beautiful but that has to be one of the least practical things I could learn and I only know one Icelandic person who I haven't seen in months anyway. Swedish would also be cool, I know a few Swedes so I could practice. Does anybody have any recommendations for methods of learning?

If you want to learn swedish, watch this: if you still want to learn swedish after seeing it, then go ahead

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jake Lol, you know musicians are more likely to get laid though keep up that too and you're on to a winner!

I am fascinated with patterns and it's uncanny how working on a switchboard you see how often people ring at the same time, like no calls for 5-10 minutes or something then all of a sudden 10 calls all at once and people moan that they're kept waiting! Happens with buses too, every day. It's a cliche I know but I'm going to claim it and will name it the Concertina effect!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Oni Rem View Post
    boooo, the girl i like has a boyfriend
    The same just happened to me, or at least I finally managed to get that info from her. But you know what? I'm not so down about that. I really like this girl, in not only physicality but in her persona. I've had the best conversations with her out of anyone I've met at my school so far. So I'm not going to be like "oh well she has a boyfriend so I'm never speaking to her again." you know? I want to be her friend, at the least, so I'm going to just hang on for a while and see what, if anything, happens over the next few years. Most importantly, I'm not going to hurt myself about this.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 14