Random Chatter - Page 32
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast

Thread: Random Chatter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On top of Hostess being somewhat mismanaged, they also had the product problem. I've never bought wonder bread and I can count on my fingers the times I've eaten Hostess cakes. One of the ladies I work with told me that Susie-Q products are a lot cheaper, taste the same and come in higher quantities so that's even more competition for Hostess. But I feel awful for all the people who lost their jobs, especially the people who were really specialized and will have trouble finding similar jobs that may/may not exist.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)

My SketchBook.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That feeling when you look up shipment tracking for an order you made, no details. In fact no details it's even heading towards you. Go to another site not affiliated with the company that gives more detailed tracking (somehow) and find out your package went from a location a few hours away from you halfway across the country and is supposedly heading back to you.

Wait what?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Boo to this Hostess thing. Yes, alot of bullcrap is in place, thousands losing their jobs while rich jackasses laugh their way to the bank (from both Hostess AND the unions involved). It sucks.

But personally I was also gonna try to find banana flavored Twinkies (just cause I need to know what they taste like) before this fiasco. And I STILL haven't found any after a month. I don't even LIKE Twinkies.

Supposedly they became a "normal" flavor again (they were actually the original flavor back in the 30's, but WWII made them switch to vanilla, which turned out to be popular so it stuck) a while ago, but no luck in Savannah. I went to way too many stores to not find those stupid things, yet.

And then suddenly THIS happens!

Anyway, I'm pretty sure another company will scoop up all of their properties. Maybe Kraft or Yum! or something. Hopefully that can get a good amount of the workers their jobs back.

EDIT:

We live in a world where this can actually exist. Huh.

Last edited by Psychotime; November 25th, 2012 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lord. If I became a professional mover I'd be ripped. Every piece of furniture is another unorthodox exercise. "Oh you go to the gym and use a stair-master? I carry giant cabinets up stairs".

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    When I was younger, I was a professional mover/truck driver.

Your hands become muscular. Indeed, my hands became bagel-inflated versions of their former selves.

It's not so much that the furniture is all that heavy-- a couch weighs, perhaps, 70 pounds, an armoire, maybe 150. But, trying to haul such things up several flights of condo stairs without busting the hell outta the stuff-- 10, 12, 14 hours a day-- time to time, you often find the full weight of the piece supported by one hand. And, you gotta haul all damn day. . .

You develop some godawful "grip strength."

Never ever pick a fight with a guy who moves furniture for a living-- if you can't take him in the first few minutes-- he'll kill you-- it's the nature of his existence.

Christ! I'm merely a pale flabby shade of the man I once was!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    When I moved a bunch of my weights were packed into a crate. Figured it would take two guys to move it.
    One of the movers, an older guy, unremarkable with a beer gut just picked the crate up like it was nothing.
    I acted all nonchalant about it...but he shamed me.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Classes officially ended yesterday, so I stayed up all night (reading in bed, because that's the kind of exciting person I am) to celebrate my first real day off since September. I had piles of books/comics, food, and water within reach of my bed so I wouldn't have to get up in the morning and could spend the day lollygagging. Apparently this is the most effective way to get your coworker to call you at nine o'clock in the morning and ask you to take their shift.

JUST WHEN I THOUGHT IT WAS OUT, THEY PULL ME BACK IN.

My day off is postponed until Monday. I continue to be jealous of all the other students with no responsibilities whatsoever outside of classes.

Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Last night i turned off my pc, plugged another old one iīm going to sell and after i plugged it again it didnīt want to start at all, it never passed the first screen and after a couple reboots it did... with a message from hell "failure to boot, insert disk, etc"

Holy crap, and going into the bios i discover that nope, the hard drive wasnīt appearing. I donīt even have words for how scared shitless i was all night. If i lose the HD iīm screwed out of years of files.

I had planned to back up and format this week because it was due anyways, it had been working super sluggish and there was a noise i didnīt like, but this happened out of nowhere.

I always thought the fans were dusty and noise was due to that, but last night i remembered all the little conversatons, "well, yo never know if it is the hd, better back that up" "hds donīt last long anyways, your pc is what? 3 years old? better back that up man" and now the hd wasnīt loading. My head was pounding and i was sweating cold all night.

After the technician removed all the parts and put them back up it did start, he told me it was something about one of the memories failing but at the end it did pick up and the pc booted normally so it was probably due to dust after all or lose connections, who the hell knows, iīm backing all that crap up right now! almost had a hearth attack.

I think if i finish selling off what i have left from the videogame collection and this pc i can afford a new one on the high end, thereīs some pressure this december to decide because next year the price of dollars and inflation will rise, so if you donīt expend on something you need while you can you might luck out. not that prices are not super inflated as it is. But at the same time, i canīt stand to work at the same place anymore and i need the money to pay the uni fees, ahhhh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh more moving woes. My legs were burning when waking up for some reason. Then had to do one of the bigger truckloads today and now they feel like noodles and we have to do twice that amount before the days done.

I hate moving and I've learned I'm going to have a light dresser, a mid-small tv, a simple light couch or chair and maybe a light end table or so to put a computer on and such then I'm done furniture wise. I'm not collecting useless shit and most will hold functionality or be thrown out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've changed my avatar,you can never have the same avatar for too long!

Formerly Ultimatum.

A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    -Douglas Adams

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Problem is, I tend to recognise users by their avatars more than their names.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see what you mean..I kinda miss spongebob..

Formerly Ultimatum.

A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    -Douglas Adams

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I liked your new one...

Regular members I tend to recognize more...besides I'm working on a new one for myself too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    Oh more moving woes. My legs were burning when waking up for some reason. Then had to do one of the bigger truckloads today and now they feel like noodles and we have to do twice that amount before the days done.

I hate moving and I've learned I'm going to have a light dresser, a mid-small tv, a simple light couch or chair and maybe a light end table or so to put a computer on and such then I'm done furniture wise. I'm not collecting useless shit and most will hold functionality or be thrown out.
    Moving is a nightmare.

It's just about the least fun way to spend a week. "Yes, lets carry that washing machine up to the second floor of a narrow, twisty staircase, how hard can it be"? "That was fun, lets do the 7 foot high 400 pound hardwood wardrobe next"
    I swore at the time I wasn't moving from that flat until we could hire minions to do the heavy lifting.

Guess what? Even if you can afford to bribe someone else to lift the heavy things, it still really sucks.

Long-ish distance moves really require you just finding what looks like a reasonable place to live in the new location, giving removal companies / landlords / estate agents all your money, then jumping onto a plane and hoping that some of your old life and furniture arrives a couple of days later.*

*When it does arrive, you will realise most of it will not fit up the staircase in your new place.

Note: I used to think that I "hated moving" when all I was really doing was shifting my stuff to another place 2-15 miles away, all my mates were there to help and I only had to provide petrol money and beer at the end of the ordeal.
    That is NOT moving. That is inconveniently shifting furniture around.

Proper "moving" involves national borders, or at least one truck or aeroplane.
    I do not recommend it.

I realise this is First World Problems, but man, I hate moving. Given the choice between moving house and being punched in the nads, I'm going for the nads every time.
    Bag of frozen peas and a double whisky will make that go away, moving is just weeks of unavoidable horror.

Last edited by Flake; December 3rd, 2012 at 12:12 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    Problem is, I tend to recognise users by their avatars more than their names.
    Ditto. It took me a very long time to realize themagod wasn't a new member after his avatar change.

Moving into university residence was my first "real" move. Three days of driving and five stories up. Fortunately I'm not particularly high maintenance and the residence came with basic furniture (desk, chair, bed & mattress) so all I really packed into the truck was my computer, clothes, and a bit of entertainment. In hindsight I wish I had dragged less books along, but oh well. The real challenge will be furnishing a house next year with four teenagers and no car.

The AGO called our humble gallery today looking for a painting worth quite a few million dollars. I had to awkwardly explain that I know we have it, and I know where it used to be, but I coincidentally was looking for it yesterday and it appears to have changed locations, which I'm unsure of. Cough. Expensive painting has been misplaced, no big deal.

Last edited by keeptime; December 3rd, 2012 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Took the artist name out of the painting. Worried about accidently incriminating myself.
    Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I arrived at college with..
    -Bag of clothes + toothbrush basically.

Returned home for first holidays and acquired..
    -1x Electric Guitar + amp
    -1x Stereo
    -stupid amount of cds

2nd year..
    -Oh hey, a microwave, I'll bring that.
    -Free TV you say? sure.
    -Those college beds suck, I'm bringing my own giant quilt.
    -These filthy monkeys have turned this once proud communal kitchen into a cesspit of filth and despair, I shall use MY OWN pots, pans and implements.

3rd year..You're moving out of student residence into flats or whatever..
    -Yeah, I could actually use that flatpack dresser..
    -Do we own a sharp knife or a pizza cutter? OK, I'll take those.
    -Sweet, a free N64

By 4th year you will have probably acquired a crazy amount of stuff without ever noticing, it creeps up on you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post

We live in a world where this can actually exist. Huh.

gretel is so fucking hot...

ohhh man morgan webb is hot too!
    ( Click to show/hide )

so many women r hot...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shouldn't that be a kids movie?

and yes, yes she is.

"Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

Sketchbook <-nsfw|Deviantart | Website

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My Hemingway studies have led me to study WWI. In researching the Belgian city of Ypres-- a pivotal area of various battles in WWI-- I went to the cities website and found. . . .

One of the scarier dang Santas ever!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He looks like an evil wizard, or a sinister hobo looking up from his makeshift fire and realising he's just spotted his next meal.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post
    When I was younger, I was a professional mover/truck driver.

Your hands become muscular. Indeed, my hands became bagel-inflated versions of their former selves.
    Ha thats funny, i remember in A Man in Full by Tom Wolfe, one of the main characters is a young skinny guy who works in a frozen meat warehouse throwing these big frozen turkeys around all, and how he doesnt put much muscle on but can lift twice as much as before, like hes gotten denser, and he has these skinny arms with big giant hands on the ends.
    As someone else who worked a summer in a gigantic frozen meat locker, I can sympathise with both of you. My hands skinnied down to match the rest of my elongated alien frame but they still look like burnt gloves full of wallnuts.
    One time i was so skint I lived for a couple of weeks off of a box of Branigans Ham and Mustard crisps and bottles of Yazoo milkshake i got fomr the warehouse shop where they sold off old stock. Before that I really liked those two things, which is a shame as I cant even smell them now without getting sick. At the same time the power in the house ran out and everyone i knew had gone home for the summer, so I had to go to sleep when it got dark like a cave man. Looking back Im amazed I didnt just go on benefits, considering what a lazy intransigent fucker i am these days. haha i remember now, because you had to buy these cards for the metre, and when i finally got one and put it in at 5am on my way to work, all the fire alarms went off and i had to climb on the roof in my pants and prise the big one off the front off the house. As morrissey says, i can laugh about it now but at the time it was terrible!

The worst one I did when I was super fucking broke was cleaning out these big industrial presses and other machinery in a big factory; theyd run the plant 24-7 most of the year and only turn it off for a couple of weeks for us suckers to go in there with hazmat suits and steam cleaners and brooms and sweep all the gunk off them. The machines never cooled down that much so it was like working in Alien 3. I didnt last long at that one, but it was awesome dollar!

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; December 9th, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Black spot i grew up in NIgeria and i can relate to a story like that except it was with a RAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    When I lived in Nigeria, my friend next door's brother tried to kill one on the chicken they kept for dinner. The neck was only half severed when the chicken managed to get away running around with its head flopping about. It wasn't long before it was recaptured and dispatched. Didn't bother me at all at 7 years old.

I was more bothered when the neighbours the other side slit the throat of their goat. After complaining to my mother, who said she couldn't do anything, I went back to watch them shave and skin it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I go to the gym fairly regularly and I've now seen one particular woman at least three times. She looks to be in her thirties. She's always on the elliptical at either an incredibly high resistance or an incredibly slow pace (can't tell). She wears a shirt, a hoodie zipped all the way up to her neck, huge sweatpants (once she was in jeans), a baseball cap, and sunglasses. Indoors. I think she may be following some ridiculous "sweat the pounds off" weight loss plan because pretty much the only exposed skin on her body is her nose, lips, and cheeks. The sunglasses might be because she has an idea of how silly she looks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Frostblade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I really don't miss the gym. They oversubscribed the membership to the point where the changing rooms were constantly full, messy and smelly with no available lockers and quite a large lady who insisted on talking to you whilst she was naked and drying her under-carriage. I gave up at one point I went into the non-members changing room which was larger, airier, cleaner and they had tons of lockers.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ours is fairly good, probably because it's on campus. My only complaint is there's an over abundance of ellipticals in the cardio room, about 3:1 to bikes/treadmills. Can't wait until the trend for those dies down.

I've never been to a gym of this scale before, so I'm sort of fearfully eager to see how the place crowds up in January with people resolving to lose weight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey i made this and used it somewhere else but now i'm putting it here, i'm thinking about making my own custom emoticons or text FX the same way

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ugh, every time I get my eyes dialated I'm reminded why contacts were always out of the question.

I have hard enough trouble putting drops in my eyes once a year. Imagine putting in a sliver of plexiglass in them every morning! And then taking them out at night!

Last edited by Psychotime; December 10th, 2012 at 10:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I could never do contacts either.

Why is it whenever I wash and wax my car, I have to encounter a bird with explosively violent diarrhea?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always cringe at contacts.

Are you sure it was a bird? Better drive away from tall buildings

"Great job guys! I love you. You're fired."

Sketchbook! Me vs Anatomy (and other things)

Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 14