Random Chatter - Page 28
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Chatter

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm currently in the process of killing some oregano and an aloe vera plant and a succulent that I'm never sure if I need to water regularly or not. I should just google this stuff but I keep getting distracted...

talking of which, my good friend from wales likens himself to a womble because he scavenges and skip dives (his house is filled with the most amazing amount of crap made of wood, but it all works, looks cosy) anyway, I found a knitting pattern for wombles He's so getting a cuddly womble every birthday from now on.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Intheuk View Post
    talking of which, my good friend from wales likens himself to a womble because he scavenges and skip dives (his house is filled with the most amazing amount of crap made of wood, but it all works, looks cosy) anyway, I found a knitting pattern for wombles He's so getting a cuddly womble every birthday from now on.
    Surprisingly the wombles were shown here in the early 80s and were pretty popular.
    I still love that show, its hilarious!

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It just opened two new pitchers and there's babies!
    Name:  mynep2.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  74.0 KB

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Pokemon battle!

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So, I still haven't gotten around to buying a set of nunchucks. I'm thinkin' maybe I'd rather buy a blowgun instead.

Both weapons have their charm when it comes to impractical weapon-o-rific nifty-ness. . .

(I don't suppose their's a North American equivalent to curare.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There aren't good flea markets in Washington? Or are there some laws in place about them?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post
    So, I still haven't gotten around to buying a set of nunchucks.
    Probably for the best.

If you really want to break your own jaw or cheekbone, hammers are cheaper and they require almost no practice.

Buy some silk pyjamas and ninja stars, way safer.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was thinking more along the lines of internet purchase.

There appears to be no legal barrier to either mail-order purchase or possession of either item here in WA.

"Carrying," though, I'm guessing is another ballgame! (WA has a "CPL"-- Concealed Pistol License-- for Pistols only, and you can carry pepper spray. But, other weapons seem to be outlawed or non-license-able.)

I've been seriously thinking of getting back into the martial arts on some level. What I really wouldn't mind doing is getting into the Japanese blade arts-- with Seattle's Asian connections, there are some reputable schools of Iai-do-- but the $100+/month price tag is a bit of a barrier. There's some Kendo practice out here, which looks like it might be great fun. But, Iaido seems to be more of the real deal in terms of actual martial lineage/history.

Otherwise, I've been thinking about buying an AK-47-- just because I'm an American-- and I can! But, they're a bit pricey, and if I'm going to spend money in that range, I'm more likely to buy more camera equipment!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tinybird, you're killing me with that pitcher plant! On thinkgeek there's a carnivorous plant set that I've been dying to get, but unfortunately they can't ship to Canada due to our import regulations on exotic plants. I'm sure if I took the time to go to a green house I could pick up a Venus fly trap or two, but it's just not the same as getting a whole little package of evil plants in the mail.

Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by keeptime View Post
    Tinybird, you're killing me with that pitcher plant! On thinkgeek there's a carnivorous plant set that I've been dying to get, but unfortunately they can't ship to Canada due to our import regulations on exotic plants. I'm sure if I took the time to go to a green house I could pick up a Venus fly trap or two, but it's just not the same as getting a whole little package of evil plants in the mail.
    Well personally I'd rather go and search for a carnivorous plant in a green house, mainly because as I looked through the Thinkgeek plant list, many of those have different needs for sunlight, amount of water during specific times and dormancy (something which neps don't do), and all require slightly special soil and rain or distilled water (or water that has been sitting out, which is what I do for my nep) and it sounds like quite a handful to find all separate info for those, especially if you want to put several plants growing at the same time.

Speaking of which, it opened more, really teeny pitchers that have these tiny hairs that look like itty bitty hands! (I'll post photos when I get back home)
    And i also bought a flower lamp and I'll put it to test today (I'd figure out that if it doesn't help the plant, at least I get more light).

Last edited by TinyBird; October 15th, 2012 at 03:14 AM.
    Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BABIES
    Name:  babby1.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  111.3 KB Name:  babby2.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  91.0 KB

Also I probably have to go and buy a more potent lamp for the plant, I kinda just grabbed one and it ended up being kinda not powerful, and now I'm waiting for it to star raining do I could a put a bucket out; it has been raining for the past four days and today but obviously it's not going to rain in the evening now that I'd need it.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, thanks for the tip. I know nothing about plants so I had no idea. Carnivourous plants are a pretty fascinating walk evolution took, though.

Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by keeptime View Post
    Ah, thanks for the tip. I know nothing about plants so I had no idea.
    Yeah, I had the same problem as when I bought my plant, the care advice I got was pretty basic (though there really wasn't time to give me any hour long intro) and after I read more info from the web my reaction was more or less like "I have to do WHAT?!" since the shop advice really wasn't enough for keeping the pitchers alive and have it produce more of them (the plant itself is not hard, but damn it when I buy a carnivorous plant I want it to have the awesome parts too). So now I basically live in a part-time sauna what with the air humidifier being on and take the plant in the shower with me to make sure the air humidity is high enough and it doesn't get cold because the fat bastard is too large for a terrarium :V

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I sold some of my old n64 games and bought a guitar for the first time ever.

Its a electro acustic washburn, i dont know how to play jack and it seems like such a frivolous expense for me to do, but i always wanted to play the guitar and draw since i was a kid, could never afford a guitar or got support on the idea of learning music. I never spend crap on me and all i earn goes to pay uni stuff, when a friend put it on sale something inside me was like "maaaaaannn ". Im also stressed as fuck now and i really want to spend a nice and peaceful crhistmas holidays and enjoy my early present, from me to me.

its really refreshing learning something completely new from scratch. Im going to start practicing basic exercises and print the tabs for all the ocarina of time songs :p. i wont be playing steve vai solos anytime soon but at least the frustated 13 yr old in me is more at peace.

Last edited by JDSart; October 16th, 2012 at 01:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm thinking of making a run of stickers because some friends have asked me (friends that intend to pay, not friends who "would love to but don't really have the money right now"). Unfortunately I don't have fifty friends I can sell the stickers off to, so I'm thinking about trying to sell the stickers on consignment at bike/skateboard shops. It's sort of chicken-egg at the moment because I don't want to get an order of stickers without somewhere to sell them and I don't want inquire about consignments before I have a product to show. Has anyone done this kind of thing before? Is there a way to go about doing it or do you just plunge in with both feet and hope you don't lose money?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Me and friends have this new little thing we do when watching movies. Whenever there's an emotional montage..... .... we mute the movie, pause and play Creed songs. Because Creed is montage music. Lord.... makes me laugh every time....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think there's a woodpecker in the attic. Beh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I ate something that had salt sprinkled on it and now I accidentally rubbed my eye with the finger that had salt on it oh jeez.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doing "cafe studies" to bolster my life drawing, I hang out in a lotta Starbuck's and (non-Starbuck's) coffee shops to stalker sketch by fellow patrons.

I've yet to use a Starbuck's restroom that wasn't in abysmally foul hygienic order.

Back in my Basic Training Army days, keeping the crapper and other aspects of the immediate environment clean was a mark of overall competence and trustability.

As my old old Drill Sargent put it: "If we can't rely on you to keep a goddam toilet clean, how can we rely on you to operate a goddam T.O.W. missile and do the right thing at the right moment to keep your buddies safe?"

So, by my plebeian standards re leadership, Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz, who pays his workers far less than a "living wage," as a leader, is basically an asshat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hope you washed your hands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hell!

Not only that, I cleaned their toilet before using it!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was thinking more along the lines of internet purchase.

There appears to be no legal barrier to either mail-order purchase or possession of either item here in WA.

"Carrying," though, I'm guessing is another ballgame! (WA has a "CPL"-- Concealed Pistol License-- for Pistols only, and you can carry pepper spray. But, other weapons seem to be outlawed or non-license-able.)

I've been seriously thinking of getting back into the martial arts on some level. What I really wouldn't mind doing is getting into the Japanese blade arts-- with Seattle's Asian connections, there are some reputable schools of Iai-do-- but the $100+/month price tag is a bit of a barrier. There's some Kendo practice out here, which looks like it might be great fun. But, Iaido seems to be more of the real deal in terms of actual martial lineage/history.

Otherwise, I've been thinking about buying an AK-47-- just because I'm an American-- and I can! But, they're a bit pricey, and if I'm going to spend money in that range, I'm more likely to buy more camera equipment!
    Kendo looks pretty fun, been thinking about starting it up myself. Something you can do for the rest of your life has an appeal. It kinda sounded like Iaido and Kendo are often learned together. There is also Kenjutsu and Iaijutsu which are more actual fighting techniques.

Last edited by Kolbenito; October 21st, 2012 at 11:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolbenito View Post
    Kendo looks pretty fun, been thinking about starting it up myself. Something you can do for the rest of your life has an appeal. It kinda sounded like Iaido and Kendo are often learned together. There is also Kenjutsu and Iaijutsu which are more actual fighting techniques.
    My understanding is that Iaido is more "presentation drills"-- drawing the blade and delivering a strike--with a metal blade-- kind of in the manner of cowboy "quick draw" practice-- whereas Kenjutsu is the more traditional training with the wooden sword-- often a preliminary form of training in Kendo schools.

A related Western concept that I've heard of is Medieval Martial Arts-- training with various single and double handed blades to preserve art forms in the manner of the Asian arts-- but that's NOT "SCA" stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I got the Hearthfire DLC for Skyrim and built my own house near Falkreath. I'm enjoying it. Of course, I like
    to push the sanity boundaries of all adventure/rpg games I play...

I adopted a kid from the orphanage. While I was sitting across from it at the main dining table, I decided I didnt like
    how it was looking at me so I thought some discipline was in order...I attacked the kid and started chasing it around
    the table. Suddenly my wife decides she's having none of this and pulls out a dagger. She then comes flying at me
    and tries to kill me. I responded by beating her death.

Totally ruined dinner.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dont buy the Hearthfire DLC they said.
    It is like the sims they said...

im currently playing dawnguard but i think im going to give a try to Hearthfire.

"Every champion was once a challenger who refused to give up"

Sketchbook

Deviantart

Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My understanding is that Iaido is more "presentation drills"-- drawing the blade and delivering a strike--with a metal blade-- kind of in the manner of cowboy "quick draw" practice-- whereas Kenjutsu is the more traditional training with the wooden sword-- often a preliminary form of training in Kendo schools.

A related Western concept that I've heard of is Medieval Martial Arts-- training with various single and double handed blades to preserve art forms in the manner of the Asian arts-- but that's NOT "SCA" stuff!
    Pretty much. Most of the techniques that came out of Samurai training work like that, sort of theory (do) and application (jutsu) taught separately but learned together. Iaido/jutsu comes from the same school or "kata" as Kendo/Kenjutsu (ken means sword) training swordsman and as you put it is essentially the theory/practice of quick draw with a sword, cleaning blood off the sword etc. I get the impression that Kendo has evolved a lot more into a sport (similar to the evolution of fencing) and has dropped the more devastating techniques taught in Kenjutsu. It's pretty fascinating stuff, I read a lot about it recently when I learned that there was a school near where I live. Part of me just likes the formality and authenticity of it.

There is a movie on Netflix called "Reclaiming the Blade" that talks some about western martial arts. Pretty cool that people are going back to really old books and trying to relearn the actual techniques taught at the time. One thing that bugs me about fantasy movies is guys hacking and slashing at each other... in plate armor. Maybe someday this will be something you can take classes on from someone who has studied the real deal.

Last edited by Kolbenito; October 22nd, 2012 at 11:57 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't touched my Gamecube in ages. Dug it out of the basement with all the classics. Playing Wind Waker. I almost forgot how sad the start of that game is even when the characters can only make grunts and noises.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its a hot summer night in the Cape here. Perfect for an all nighter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    Its a hot summer night in the Cape here. Perfect for an all nighter.
    I'm about to spend all night writing an essay for my Expository Writing class...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My fb feed is plastered with OMG snow posts. What's so great about snow? It happens every year at roughly the same time and then goes on for 5 months. Snow is a nuisance.

Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 15