Random Chatter - Page 21

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Chatter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyrion View Post
    I could also use it for a nice wedding and a down payment on a house someday.
    I think this would be the way to go. Is it building interest at the moment?
    I'd just leave it. Boring I know, but you will thank yourself.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    I think this would be the way to go. Is it building interest at the moment?
    I'd just leave it. Boring I know, but you will thank yourself.
    Yeah, it's building interest. It has been since 2007 too. I think I'll leave it until I get out of the Navy then buy a nice house.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So I bought a pair of brass knuckles from the flea market to use as reference. Only cost me $9 each. Also picked up a couple SNES games*. Flea markets can be really good when you're in the right town.

I remembered that I have relatively small hands. I can't grip the things right at all. Unless they're SUPPOSED to be awkward and uncomfortable. I guess that makes the reference even better for what I need them for.

Seriously, my hands are a bit small. I ended up taller than my folks but they still both have larger hands than me.

I've always wondered why US laws seem to be so lax about the sale of weapons that aren't firearms. It's so strange to me. According to what I've read, brass knuckles alone are nasty enough. I can perfectly understand why they're straight up illegal in some states.

I wonder if the guy selling them had ever worried that some idiot teenager will drop that switchblade right onto his foot. Or something worse, like he ends up selling a katana to a nutcase who...yeah. I just know that I'm not the type of person who'd ever think of selling weapons. I'd probably have trouble sleeping. Especially when the one demographic who shows the most interest in buying them are teenage boys. I couldn't shake bad images out of my head.

*Just Phalanx (VERY memorable boxart, passable game), Legend of the Mystical Ninja (I've put off playing it for a long time, but I've heard enough praise to get it anyway), and the red cart version of Maximum Carnage (I already have the normal colored cart, but IT'S SO WRONG).

It's a real shame that thanks to Gamestop buying out all the specialty gaming stores, the only place to physically buy games that are older than 6 years anymore is to go to flea markets. I'm just not the type that likes buying stuff off the net if I don't have to.

No idea where that old lady gets her games from, but she's sold me alot of cool stuff over the last year.

Last edited by Psychotime; July 29th, 2012 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    Legend of the Mystical Ninja
    That game is frikin HARD!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I doubt it's as hard as Maximum Carnage. Even if it IS a Konami game.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    Just Phalanx (VERY memorable boxart, passable game)
    Isn't that the one with the banjo player on the front?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I felt something in my brain pop when I read that you bought brass knuckles at the flea market. I've never even seen those in real life. Sometimes it blows my mind how easy it is to get weapons in the US.

I'm moving in 31 days. I've been counting down since about day 55. It's like playing a really long game of "99 Bottles of Beer On The Wall". I feel like there should be a faster way to pass the days.

Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Murphy View Post
    Isn't that the one with the banjo player on the front?
    Yep. That's the box cover that confused the hell out of me every time I saw it at the local West Coast Video in the early 90's, and because of that I never forgot it, even though I never thought of playing it. And after I discovered the internet, it looks like lot of people remember it, too.

I seriously have to wonder what the sales for that game were.

Random Chatter

You look at that cover, and despite the fact that it DOES say "space shooter" on the box and the space ship you play as is flying in the corner, I dare you to have that actually register in your brain because you'll be too confused that there's a video game that has a picture of an old man with a banjo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by keeptime View Post
    I felt something in my brain pop when I read that you bought brass knuckles at the flea market. I've never even seen those in real life.
    Heh, I've had quite a few, lost most of them. Had spiked ones as well.
    They are so easily available here. A lot of hobby stores actually sell them.

That's a South African hobby item for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I felt something in my brain pop when I read that you bought brass knuckles at the flea market. I've never even seen those in real life. Sometimes it blows my mind how easy it is to get weapons in the US.

I'm moving in 31 days. I've been counting down since about day 55. It's like playing a really long game of "99 Bottles of Beer On The Wall". I feel like there should be a faster way to pass the days.
    High five moving-in-a-month-and-counting-down-the-days buddy! I'm not going anywhere exciting, just down the street, but this apartment is a total shithole with bugs. It's also insanely easy to break into (in a city where there was a dude going around sneaking into people's houses at night and staring at them in their sleep, aptly dubbed The Sleepwatcher. He hasn't been caught.) Also, the upstairs neighbours have "a band", and by that I mean they've badly & loudly played Voodoo Child every day since last September and never gotten better. Also the floor of my room is super slanted, which means that my wheeled chair will slooooowly roll backwards if I don't anchor it with my feet. And we pay almost $300 a month for electricity. And in the winter it's so cold we can't use the common room because we can't afford to heat it.

Phew.

Student housing, lololol.

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.
    - Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had spiked ones as well.
    Saw some on the net before I went out today. Those things make me cringe just looking at them.

Sometimes it blows my mind how easy it is to get weapons in the US.
    Yeah. If you're trying to draw somebody using melee weapons like swords/nunchucks/brass knuckles/shuriken/switchblade/ect; just go to a good flea market and buy a real one (granted each particular item is perfectly legal under state law, because it varies). The most expensive single weapon I saw today was a katana at $25. As I said before, it's kinda scary when you think about it.

Looking back, they had alot of machetes in that place in general today. Just randomly intersperced everywhere. I saw at least three people selling machetes before I even found the one weapon guy. And these would be people who were just selling stuff like used books or home grown produce.

"Thanks for the eggplants, ma'am. Oh, I just remembered I'm going on a safari this weekend. I'll have a machete, too please."

Last edited by Psychotime; July 29th, 2012 at 05:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebones View Post
    High five moving-in-a-month-and-counting-down-the-days buddy! I'm not going anywhere exciting, just down the street, but this apartment is a total shithole with bugs. It's also insanely easy to break into (in a city where there was a dude going around sneaking into people's houses at night and staring at them in their sleep, aptly dubbed The Sleepwatcher. He hasn't been caught.) Also, the upstairs neighbours have "a band", and by that I mean they've badly & loudly played Voodoo Child every day since last September and never gotten better. Also the floor of my room is super slanted, which means that my wheeled chair will slooooowly roll backwards if I don't anchor it with my feet. And we pay almost $300 a month for electricity. And in the winter it's so cold we can't use the common room because we can't afford to heat it.

Phew.

Student housing, lololol.
    Wuh oh, I'm moving into student residence for university. Should I be worried?

My friend's apartment was among the craziest I've ever lived in. One of the upstairs neighbours regularly used to get into extremely violent fights with her boyfriend, chasing him out into the street with a knife. After she gave birth to their child, she would leave the poor kid sitting at home alone for these fights. For the record, the boyfriend never retaliated or gave any indication that he was the initiator. Poor guy. The other upstairs neighbours regularly moved the furniture for no apparent reason. No, that's not a euphemism. You'd literally hear them dragging the couch from one end of the apartment to the other about three times a week. My friend's apartment block was the "sane" one too. The one in front of us had extremely anti-social people who had boarded up all their windows and doors and only left the house for groceries. The one behind us had a lot of cocaine users, a lady who threatened to eat her daughter's pets if she didn't smarten up (the dogs mysteriously disappeared a week later and have since been replaced by a different one), and a woman who put her mattress out on the balcony, doused it in gasoline and set it on fire. Twice.

Quote Originally Posted by psychotime
    Yeah. If you're trying to draw somebody using melee weapons like swords/nunchucks/brass knuckles/shuriken/switchblade/ect; just go to a good flea market and buy a real one (granted each particular item is perfectly legal under state law, because it varies). The most expensive single weapon I saw today was a katana at $25. As I said before, it's kinda scary when you think about it.
    Jeepers. The only weapons I know people use with some regularity around here are various knives and pepper spray, though I wouldn't know where to get either. I'm assuming it's one of those "friend of my brother's" deals.

Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jeepers. The only weapons I know people use with some regularity around here are various knives and pepper spray, though I wouldn't know where to get either. I'm assuming it's one of those "friend of my brother's" deals.
    Woah woah, careful with that word. I'm pretty sure most people just buy them because they look cool. ESPECIALLY the teenagers.

I remember as far back as middle school there'd be that one time a kid would bring nunchucks or a shuriken to school to impress everybody he showed it to. Just as long as none of the teachers see it (which would get him expelled instantly), he'd be in the clear and earn cool points from the other kids.

But I know it's natural to have that fear in the back of your head that there's gonna be that ONE GUY somewhere who has a chance to pick up a weapon, like the one bit actor from Ugly Betty who sliced his mother to pieces with a katana. I worry about the same thing, it's only natural.

I think the best way to quell that fear is to realize that those people we worry about are an extremely tiny minority, and the second we want to worry about swords being sold at flea markets, we should also consider that kitchen knives and power tools are just as dangerous and even more accessible.

Moving on, the vendor sells pepper spray, too. Didn't see any tazers, though. I remember seeing them at another flea market, but I think that was in Florida. Maybe Georgia has stricter laws on those in particular. Maybe they're worried about that one urban legend about lighting people on fire by tazing them after they get hit with pepper spray.

Last edited by Psychotime; July 29th, 2012 at 06:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, crazy, never heard of that one. I say use because pepper spray incidents happen with quite some regularity around here. Pretty much everyone I know has had it happen to them or someone they know at one point or another. I actually got some second-hand pepper spray at work once. Aaah, carnie jobs. As for the knifes, I'm sure those are more for show. Pepper spray doesn't seem like it has quite the street cred that knifes or brass knuckles do.

Our police force loses their taser cartridges with astonishing regularity. In the last year or two they've lost eight cartridges and one entire taser. You'd think after the second or third time they'd look at the holsters or the manufacturer they're purchasing them from...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 395 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Seff - absorbed moment #...wow, I lost track of it.

I`m willing to do a lot of things to get the job done. Legal things, mind you.

What ever it takes.

2 things, however, are NOT on that list. -

a.)adding more pouches and

2.) lens-flare.

No. Lens. Flare.

EVER.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, you let a box of oil pastels break open in your bag once you and pay for it for the next five years.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to keeptime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PxelSlayer View Post

What ever it takes.

2.) lens-flare.

No. Lens. Flare.

EVER.
    Is that your own personal promise? Or did someone actually suggest
    those additions? Good God I hope not.

Tip to paypal users, remember when quoting clients for one of your
    pieces or a commission, that on top of your base price you must
    make the following additions:

Paypals service fee for receiving and handling the cash.
    Your own banks/countries taxes/handling fees.

Sometimes we forget this. Because we are dumb.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you intend to draw or paint outside on a particularly sunny day, be sure to wear sunscreen or at least rotate yourself.

Otherwise you look ri-goddamn-diculous.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 395 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Is that your own personal promise? Or did someone actually suggest
    those additions? Good God I hope not.
    Oh now, come on. You read my previous post here, no? What do you think?

I`d say, subtle hints were given. It was a brief moment of sanity that actually got me making this rule. Thank God I have those every now and then... o_________________o

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PxelSlayer View Post

What ever it takes.

2.) lens-flare.

No. Lens. Flare.

EVER.
    Real soldiers wear a fuck ton of pouches.
    Random Chatter
    I wouldn't say never to lens flares as an effect. The filter is still a good thing to never do. But even then. If you know how to use it then you can get away with it.
    Random Chatter

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Murphy View Post
    If you intend to draw or paint outside on a particularly sunny day, be sure to wear sunscreen or at least rotate yourself.

Otherwise you look ri-goddamn-diculous.
    If you stay out there long enough the sun switches sides.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If "Space" is the result of the Big Bang, in what, precisely, did the Big Bang happen?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So...um, I am having a tough time affording to pay of the amount due for this art school, and each day, something gets in the way of me getting approved for a loan.
    The excitement of going to an art school becomes a slow progress of descending into depression as the deadline draw ever so closer each day. I feel like its not worth it anymore now.

so...if I can't pay off the amount due, how hard is it to be a self-taught animator?

Yo Yo YO Panel of the Week POW

Needs Critique CrimsonBows

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've always been one of those people who has a few close friends over a dozen or so regular friends you might hang out with rarely. But reaching the point where my friends are moving and it's frankly getting depressing. Problems galore in life then one of my friends just moved across the globe to Hawaii (which I'm happy as hell for him) but now even communication with phone is going to be a pain since I'm east coast and it's like a 6-7 hour time difference.

Then on top of that I busted my foot on a waterslide a few days before he left and it's still swollen a bit. Never wear glasses to a waterpark. Riding down the waterslide then realize "Oh shit, at the bottom my glasses will get flung off and maybe break". Grab the glasses but then have only one hand which throws off the balance and BAM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://animalsbehavingbadly.blogspot...rry-about.html

Well this is amusing.

Between 2003 and 2008, 108 people died from cattle-induced injuries across the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That’s 27 times the whopping four people killed in shark attacks in the United States during the same time period, according to the International Shark Attack File. Nearly all those cow-related fatalities were caused by blunt force trauma to the head or chest; a third of the victims were working in enclosed spaces with cattle.
    What's more, with cows, it's personal. Sharks just think you're a delicious seal and mistakenly take a taste. But here's some detail from the CDC report on bovine murder:

In about 3/4 of the cases “the animal was deemed to have purposefully struck the victim.”

One of the murderous bulls had been hand-raised and bottle-fed by the victim and his family.
    If you don't believe it, check out this story of a vengeful bull in India:

The bull apparently kept a watch on frail Bhoop Narayan Prajapati, 65, and attacked him when he was having his morning tea, a day after he had thrown hot water on it for sitting in front of his hut. Prajapati ran inside his thatched hut to escape, but the bull followed him, pushed him to the ground twice and gored him.

Apparently there was a long history between this man and this bull: Six months earlier, he hit the animal with a stick and it retaliated, landing him in the hospital for a month.

And not only did the animal plot its revenge for months, it made sure its attack had been successful, and after he died, it returned to gloat:

The bull followed the man when he was being taken to a hospital and later appeared at the crematorium during his funeral.
    DAMN, and that was in India! Imagine what a cow in any other country would do if it could discover the reason it was raised on a farm?

Yeah yeah, they should make a movie out of it. Like the farmers test out a new steroid that accidentally gives the cows sentience, and they start a revolt.

Last edited by Psychotime; August 4th, 2012 at 09:00 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 833 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If "Space" is the result of the Big Bang, in what, precisely, did the Big Bang happen?
    I think that's the million dollar question.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The current idea seems to be that what we call "Space" is actually a "thing" in and of itself that contains a lotta stuff.

Perhaps the "area" before the Big Bang was "Really Empty Space."

Then I guess you get into the questions of how big is Really Empty Space, where did it come from, is there anything on the outside of it, and where did the Banging stuff come from?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 833 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, yeah. There's the multiverse theory, and I think someone explained it as if the entirety of it all is like a big cheese, and all the infinite number of universes are holes in the cheese. And the cheese between those holes is constantly expanding...

What's interesting though is that some scientists calculated that all the matter and dark matter (I think) of the universe "adds up" as +-0. Which proves that the universe could have come out of absolutely nothing.

Last edited by tobbA; August 5th, 2012 at 04:53 PM.
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,397 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Tip of the day
    NEVER put regular dish washing soap in the automatic dishwasher. I have spent the last hour cleaning up bubbles off my kitchen floor. Its like the blob is coming out of my F'ing dishwasher. It was a two foot carpet of bubbles where tile should be!
    To make things worse the woman has been away for the weekend and she just called to say she will be home in two hours. Its like I'm trapped in a sad mundane version of the movie Risky Business without any good looking people and no one got laid.

33. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Tip of the day
    NEVER put regular dish washing soap in the automatic dishwasher. I have spent the last hour cleaning up bubbles off my kitchen floor. Its like the blob is coming out of my F'ing dishwasher. It was a two foot carpet of bubbles where tile should be!
    To make things worse the woman has been away for the weekend and she just called to say she will be home in two hours. Its like I'm trapped in a sad mundane version of the movie Risky Business without any good looking people and no one got laid.
    Shit that was brilliant.

Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1