Random Chatter - Page 11
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Chatter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Olives are nice but what I love is canned peas. omnomnom. I eat them with chopsticks tho so they wouldn't run out so fast.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I sometimes just get this urge for canned food. Some people never touch it...but thats their loss!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thinking of canning my own food.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last night, 3am, I was happily drawing away on the PC, when the lights started flickering and then, power outage. Everything went pitch dark. I couldnt see anything and immediately started cursing. I'm still limping and was in no mood to negotiate furniture in the dark.

Then I heard Samson our pitbull come trotting into the room, obviously excited about what he perceived to be some kind of pre-dawn fun and games. I called him to me as I could not exactly see him and holding onto his neck, had him lead me to our room! (Which his bed is in front of.)

He's always barking abuse at the guide dogs across the road. (There is a guide dog school there) so last night he had a chance to show them up. Pity nobody else saw it, but he and I will always know.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really LOVE canned tuna! I don't know why it is but I've always loved the stuff since I was a little girl. Funny thing though is I'm the only one in my entire family who likes it. I really like my tuna spread on some whole wheat crackers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm kind of okay now, I spent a day in the hospital bed. Came out with an itchy back. They say it will occur again usually within a few years after it has occurred once. It happened on Saturday during a figure drawing. The pain was so sharp combined with the pressurized area outside my lungs, made it very hard to breath. I didn't contemplate dying, because I didn't know what was going on.

Today is the first day I ate 3 meals since a few years; breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I have to if I want to decrease the chances of another lung collapse.

My Sketchbook

Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    By all means then Vay, please eat, eat, eat! I know its a change of lifestyle for you, so just power through it man. Thanks for the update.

@Peipei: Canned Tuna is fantastic and pretty good for you as well.

Well, I'm off to the hospital again, more blood tests and the sperm bank visit. Wish me luck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Vay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good luck man!
    Vay, glad to hear that's passed! And yeah, canned tuna is awesome.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Slothboy3000 For This Useful Post:

Vay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trying to cut down on coffee. I stopped drinking it last evening and I was actually able to sit down and enjoy some anime. I didn't realize how much it was affecting my ability to relax. One of the nurses at the hospital once told me that people getting over life-threatening addictions sometimes need to taper off with lesser addictions just to get back to normal--and that's what this has felt like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah that makes sense Andrew, good luck with that, any addicting stimulant can sometimes be tough to beat, even everyday things people take for granted. Good luck man, but with everything you've beaten I don't think you'll need it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Star Eater: Certain chemicals in canned food are linked to cancer. I generally dislike canned food due to the typical metallic taste.

@Andrew B: Something about caffeine:

Caffeine is a drug, too much of it and you will experience withdrawal symptoms, much like for any other drug. This happens due to the adaptivity of your body. It responds to caffeine by preventing excess caffeine from affecting your body through decreased binding sites or increased digestive enzymes, and hence your body builds tolerance for the drug. This means you will need more and more drugs each time your body adapts and tolerates an increased level of the respective drug.

Sudden stop in the consumptions of the drug that your body has adapted to will create withdrawal symptoms, and this is because your body has adapted to a high level dose of that particular drug. An example would be when your body increase the production of enzyme that digests certain molecules of a drug due to high amounts of such drugs in your body. So once the consumption of such drugs are suddenly halted, there will be an excess of this enzyme, and smaller traces of the drug will be easily and thoroughly eliminated.

In application to caffeine, you will have deficiency of caffeine as a result of overproduction of enzymes that break down caffeine. This is why a person feels the opposite effect for a withdrawal symptom to the effect of the drugs that a person's body has adapted to.

Lastly, caffeine does not cause addiction. It causes withdrawal symptoms, which require the drug that your body has adapted to to decreases the effects of the respective withdrawal symptoms. Addictive drugs also cause withdrawal symptoms.

To come back to a normal level of caffeine tolerance, you have to gradually decrease the amount of caffeine you take.

Last edited by Vay; February 10th, 2012 at 11:15 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Andrew, as someone who drank coffee in a day until i started startling at invisible people standing next to me i can second how you donīt notice how much it affects your behaviour until you quit.

Green tea is really good, is not going to match the caffeine, you may still get that punch the first few days and wake up feeling like you are trapped in some Alice in Chains song but just feeling like your drinking something helps the habit and its also pretty healthy to take anyways.

Its also easier if your working out or doing some activity that keeps the mind away. Also if your doing a diet and routine while quiting, seeing the weight loss and feeling in better health might give you a moral boost to keep up with the discipline.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Random thought thread why have I not seen this before.....

I'm going to vent. ...... because I.... .... Hate..... .... Stinkbugs.........

I have an unquenchable rage from these pieces of crap. If I could create a death ray that would genocide and wipe out every stinkbug on the western hemisphere I would dedicate my life to it.

These bugs are the epitome of a 'pest'. They come into your walls, lay endless eggs, there is no way to kill them yet with a pesticide, they can squeeze through a crack in your walls not even 1/4th an inch, they have no existing predators in the west. It's winter, these things come out of our walls when we have the heat up. I kill about 20-150 a day. I wake up in the morning and we have a little skylight thing. I take a vacuum and suck up 20+ every morning. Then the fun of these bastards is they have set stomping grounds. They love to hang on your cups, and cans of soda's. They crawl up your wires and hang on it, they're attracted to light and buzz around constantly. If they're scared they let out a chemical that if you even rub your hand raw with soap it may not come out. I've had them drop from the ceiling onto my shoulder and shit for no reasons. I've had them in my bed almost every morning for months. They fly onto my pillow, they hang on our windows, they fly into my food, I leave a can of soda down and they crawl into it without me knowing then the fun of having a stinkbug in it when your drinking it. I have regularly had stinkbugs literally full force just fly directly into my face. While I scream "WHAT THE FUCK!??!?!?". They aren't even scared of humans, they'll just crawl on you.

The worst part is, every time I kill one (I use a big plastic jar with soap water, kill them in less than a minute). 2 take it's place, it's like they wait to see a vacancy in these specific spots, on the corner of this desk over here, on these wires, they crawl up the wires to my computer constantly throughout the day. I kill them, 2 minutes later I turn around and there's another one in the same exact spot.....

I fucking..... .. hate..... stinkbugs....... ........
    If I move, I'm never living near the woods again......

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    I have regularly had stinkbugs literally full force just fly directly into my face.

I try to be kind--even to insects. But yeah, I hate it when they fly at my face. Apparently they are attracted to the darker areas like the eyes and nostrils...big fun.

And thank you to the handsome and powerful gentlemen who had some coffee advice for me. What has happened is that I still am having some caffeine every day, but I've been careful about not compulsively getting more after the first couple doses. I feel a lot better.

I was getting really agitated and anxious later in the day--and I hadn't made the connection before now. Anyway, awesome stuff, but I was really abusing it.

_Regards

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They sound just like ladybugs. I accidently ate them as they fly into my mouth, had them inside my bed, fly into my food..

If you can tolerate peppermint and not allergic, mix peppermint oil into vinegar, spray it everywhere, especially where cracks, windows, doors, and any other place where stink bugs may come in. Spray it into your bed. Not sure how well it will work for you, but for me it definitely did. Can't control what is outside, but inside, there was not many bugs. Bugs, in general, hate peppermint.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 775 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You can also try an ultrasonic pest repeller - you plug it into an electrical outlet and send out high-frequency noise that repels most pests. The only drawback is if you have a pest for a pet (like a pet rat, mouse, spider, etc); it'll drive 'em crazy.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...and they crawl into it without me knowing then the fun of having a stinkbug in it when your drinking it...

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Kuroyue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ... I'm at work

and I just witnessed a man, actually rolling on the floor laughing, for about 3 minutes, because I put a _final appendix onto a comped (color corrected) file.

And then he explained to me, that we never finish stuff, just stop working on it.

This made his day.

He's been working here for 3 years.. and I suspect he's a bit bitter.

My SketchBook

--Wait, whut? --
    Anonymous

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i had a wasp nest in my house in the summer and drank a wasp that had fallen in my can of relentless. it was no fun for either of us.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Had the police come round today to say they'd had a report that my 16yo son was missing. He was standing behind me.

I think they meant his friend who is always going awol. They did look sheepish.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Black Spot, had that happen actually myself, I was just in my room mom shouted "Hey are you missing?" shout back "Nope". Was awkward.

Back to stinkbugs. Basically I don't have any pictures of my house. But it's a very weird architecture. There are so many cracks they could be coming in from we could never cover them all. Since once again I read they can get through a quarter of an inch space. Then they nest in your walls.

The sonic pest repeller thing doesn't work on these stinkbugs, have a few in our kitchen. Doesn't stop them (stopped ants though). It's not as bad this winter it seems. But for years it's been at plague levels around here.

I've tried everything. I'm sadly having to just submit. My issue is worse than others in the sense that since the architecture is weird, my room has no roof. It's completely open on top and connected to the biggest room in the house they swarm to. So lights go off at night, I'm a night owl so they get attracted straight to me in the evening. Have to turn on lights in the house just so I'm not dealing with 20 every 5 minutes lol.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Saw a wig on the pavement the other day. It was laid out nicely, with a fringe and tied back in a pony tail, lying like someone had been scalped. I wonder why.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    maybe the pavement was feeling sensitive about being bald and wanted to recapture its youth?

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ever wanted to do something even though it's highly unlikely you will finish it, coupled with how it's very time consuming and likely most people won't be interested at all?

lol I worked on a game in RPG maker 2k3 for years casually off and on then quit once it became too daunting to accomplish a certain task. I was going to go the 9 yards past what most do. Voice acting, cut scenes, hand draw this and that. Then I picked it up again played through the first couple hours of gameplay recently still laughed at jokes I wrote years ago and like it. All the algebra I couldn't figure out before is coming to me now.

I guess it's kind of like art in the sense that most don't do it for anyone but themselves. Until you work on it to the point it really stands out and is amazing would anyone be interested. So that question, why pursue it. Why draw. Why make a game.

I guess. Because it's fun.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following

I was going to go the 9 yards past what most do.
    Actually, the expression "the whole 9 yards" relates to WWI aerial combat.

You see, the canvas belts that held the aviators' machinegun cartridges were 27 feet, i.e., 9 yards in length. . .

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I never knew that I love learning the history of expressions we use in every day language. I always thought that one was a sports metaphor or something to do with measuring fabric lol.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Intheuk View Post
    I never knew that
    You still don't. Or rather, now you know one more thing that it probably isn't.
    http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/t...ine-yards.html
    http://www.word-detective.com/2011/0...le-nine-yards/

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last night I dreamt I opened up my own walk in art studio commission shop.

It consisted of a tiny chair and table, near the entrance of our local seedy shopping mall. No actual shop space itself, more like a stall, but without the stall. Just me on a school hall type chair and small craft desk with a battery run laptop. I did not do much business and remember lamenting my choice of venue even in my dream.

It was shitty -and- realistic!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, Elwell, I was feeling pretty proud o' myself for a moment there!

I actually jumped onto Google to see if I could source the "whole nine yards" origin-- imagine my chagrin.

Buuut,

Machinegun belts would seem to be the most rational explanation when you see others analyzing this.

[Strange, your sources and mine cite WWII as the origin of the machinegun explanation-- don't know how I internalized WWI!]

Oh well, thanks fer "givin' me both barrels. . ."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marriage seems like a promising option. I need to grow up more before I do anything like that though.

Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 15