Will Windows 7 64-bit improve my PC?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Will Windows 7 64-bit improve my PC?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Will Windows 7 64-bit improve my PC?

First, here are my system specs:

Dell XPS 400
    Pentium D CPU 2.80GHZ, 2.79 GHz
    4 GB DDR2 RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE
    Windows XP 32 bit

I just ordered a new video card. It's a GeForce 440. I just wanted something cheap, yet better, as I do play the occasional Fallout 3 and Mass Effect and the 7300 LE isn't that great. I haven't installed it yet, so I don't know how much improvement it will make.

Other than the two I mentioned I don't really play games. I'm more concerned with improving the speed of CS5 and Painter 12. I just got the demo of P12 and am really enjoying it, but am holding off on purchasing it, unless I could maybe speed things up a bit.

Here's my actual question: Will upgrading my OS to Win 7 64-bit make any drastic improvements to my PC? I've had it for about 4 years and I'm hoping to squeeze some more life out of it. My CPU is 64-bit, so I thought that by upgrading to a 64-bit OS, it might be faster, because of more efficient use of RAM. The main problem is, apparently the mobo chipset I have is really outdated (I think it's the 945P? I can't remember) and can't handle more than 4 GB of RAM, regardless of the OS. Or so I've been led to believe by what I've read online. But, I'm thinking that with what I've got there's still a bottleneck due to the 32-bit OS and that upgrading to 64-bit will make things faster. Is this correct or might it actually slow things down? If it won't make that big a difference, I'd just as soon save up and get a whole new system next year when prices for the current hardware will go down (and I've learned a lot in the last year and will probably just build my own. Dell makes it really hard to upgrade). Considering Win 7 Pro Upgrade is $200, that money might be better spent on a second monitor...

Sorry for being long winded. I hope my question is in there somewhere. Thanks!

"Contrary to the belief of the layman, the essential of art is not to imitate nature, but under the guise of imitation to stir up excitement with pure plastic elements: measurements, directions, ornaments, lights, values, colors, substances, divided and organized according to the injunctions of natural laws. While so occupied, the artist never ceases to be subservient to nature, but instead of imitating the incidents in a paltry way, he imitates the laws."-Andre Lhote

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there.

Do not waste your money. Both your CPU and chipset are old. You'd end up with a nicer OS and additional 0,5 GB RAM your system can recognize. But it's definitely not worth 200 USD. You couldn't even transfer the Windows 7 license on your next machine. Not without contacting MS support anyway.

That new graphics card you bought will speed certain things significantly, so just wait a bit longer and then buy a new computer.

New PCs with Windows 7 license start at something over 300 USD, no way you should even consider it.

You CPU is a dual core but it's still based on ancient Pentium 4s - so any modern dual core will be a significant upgrade, not to mention quad cores.

Check Newegg. Also there is not problem putting your new graphics card into a new PC you are gonna buy. Just pick one with normal ATX sized case. Any 300W powersupply will run that.

Also you want 8GB or more of memory. It's really cheap nowadays.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nrekkvan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Nrekkvan!

That's pretty much what I figured, but I wanted a second opinion.

"Contrary to the belief of the layman, the essential of art is not to imitate nature, but under the guise of imitation to stir up excitement with pure plastic elements: measurements, directions, ornaments, lights, values, colors, substances, divided and organized according to the injunctions of natural laws. While so occupied, the artist never ceases to be subservient to nature, but instead of imitating the incidents in a paltry way, he imitates the laws."-Andre Lhote

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.