Art: "Listen and undertand... that Terminator is out there...

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"Listen and undertand... that Terminator is out there...

"It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead."

Ok, it's 1/3 scale Terminator WIP time again. He's still rough, but at a stage that I thought I'd put him out from some feed back... he's looking okay to me, but a fresh eye is always good. I know there is still a lot to do, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alaneye; April 16th, 2012 at 04:30 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    303 views and no comments... hmmm, are you trying to tell me something?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No.....this is great, but I am sorry ....didn't you already post this up fairly recently? or is this a new one. If I remember, on your original thread you got lots of accolades and comments...or is this a new sculpt , and I am just having another " senior moment." Either way, this is a great sculpt, and you really captured his likness in an awesome way. Don't know why people aren't commenting unless its just that the forum doesn't seem as strong lately....maybe people are just wraped up in their own lives lately because of all the economic distress that we are all enduring....don't let it get you down....you are a very talented sculptor, and your work is top notch....stiff upper lip and all that. { it does suck when people don't comment on work that has taken you a lots of hard work and many, many hours to complete.} Maybe they will wake up and smell the smoke soon !!!
    Good luck

Mah ' Crub

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaneye View Post
    303 views and no comments... hmmm, are you trying to tell me something?
    There hasn't been much traffic lately so I haven't been checking as often.

Otherwise, I think it looks just like Arnold. 80's arnold. I wish I could give you something more meaningful than just unabashed praise, but it looks great and I can't wait to see how it progresses.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love how crisp and clean the facial damage is on this and the superb likeness pretty awesome mate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, this is the 1984 Terminator. Maybe this is why people haven't commented, because they think I have just posted the same thing again.

Here is the T2 sculpture along side the T1... as you can see, they are not really alike, apart from the subject.

Thanks for the comments.

Al

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking great! And if you take him to the level of crisp detail as the T2 one, it will be amazing...My only comment would be that it would be nice to include something uniquely 80's in this sculpt..to make it look like it comes from an 80's movie somehow...no idea how that would be done haha - but it would be nice

My Sketchbook
    My Sculpting thread
    Comics: www.uocomics.com
    Blog: www.jumpsuitblog.blogspot.com"
    "Yor's world! Yor's world! He's the man!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Deon View Post
    Looking great! And if you take him to the level of crisp detail as the T2 one, it will be amazing...My only comment would be that it would be nice to include something uniquely 80's in this sculpt..to make it look like it comes from an 80's movie somehow...no idea how that would be done haha - but it would be nice
    I agree. I have been looking for that 'something' as sometimes I look at it and he looks very T2ish. From looking at the reference, I think Arnold lost a bit of weight during the production as he is quite round in the face during the opening shots, but later, in say the gunshop scene he is much leaner in the face. So I'm trying to find the middle ground with it. There are some more cuts and abrasions to go in yet so that might make the difference, plus the lapels of his jacket in T1 are bigger and wider than the lapels in T2.

Al

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaneye View Post
    Yeah, this is the 1984 Terminator. Maybe this is why people haven't commented, because they think I have just posted the same thing again.

Here is the T2 sculpture along side the T1... as you can see, they are not really alike, apart from the subject.

Thanks for the comments.

Al
    Great sculpture and big movie this , for the 80s generation

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes , Al, I totally see the difference now, and honestly, like I said, I thought it was a mix up or a repost somehow....my mistake, I should have researched it....but I am not really that ambitious. Do you have any other sculpts that you could post? These are really great, and I would like to see what kind of other stuff you can do.....

Mah ' Crub

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I showed a Predator that I did last year:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=218074

I did some stuff years ago that you can see on my website. I've only really got back into sculpting again fairly recently.

Al

www.alanianson.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh hell yes...I remember him,{ after seeing it again,} he is great. Well I am glad you decided to start sculpting again....what is next for you?

Mah ' Crub

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mah ' Crub View Post
    Oh hell yes...I remember him,{ after seeing it again,} he is great. Well I am glad you decided to start sculpting again....what is next for you?

Mah ' Crub
    My quest is to create busts of the main characters from the Terminator movies... definites are Sarah, young John, T1000, Reese, a T3 battle damaged Arnold, maybe the TX. I may make Miles Dyson, cause he has such a great face, and I also have a 1/3rd Alien warrior bust on the go. That's the plan... we'll see how far I get

Al

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful sculpts, and the 80's terminator looks better than the fake heads they used in the movie. It's going to look great once you get the bionic eye in there. I'm looking forward to seeing how you work out the textures in the clothing. Your work on the T2 is great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, mlavnish!
    a
    Got a few progress shots to show. Obviously the hair and the jacket are still only roughed in, and the endo side of the face still needs some work, but I'm fairly please with the general facial structure. Is it the T1 Arnold?

And here's a shot I took with different lighting that shows the skin texture up quite well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Done a bit today and yesterday... fully roughed the hair out, done a bit of refining around the mouth and throat, started texturing the jacket. Still lots to do, but I'm please with the way he's looking up to now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1:3 scale ? holy schmoly how small does that make the bust?
    That detail is crazy!

My Sketchbook
    My Sculpting thread
    Comics: www.uocomics.com
    Blog: www.jumpsuitblog.blogspot.com"
    "Yor's world! Yor's world! He's the man!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Deon, the good old can o' coke for scale pic... so it's fairly big really compared to some pieces

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Obviously the likeness is dead on. It is really nice work, and the skin looks like skin, not super sculpey with some dots in it. It's great. I have a question about end-use with the SS. Is this too large to cure in the oven? I have seen some work that is clearly too large to go into a conventional oven, and it is painted.. What is the purpose of a sculpt at that point? Are these portfolio pieces? Are they cured in pieces maybe? I'm just full of questions. sorry.. I'm working on some things for bronze casting, and I cannot figure out how an uncured piece is painted, and then.. then what? Anyone?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Adriela View Post
    Obviously the likeness is dead on. It is really nice work, and the skin looks like skin, not super sculpey with some dots in it. It's great. I have a question about end-use with the SS. Is this too large to cure in the oven? I have seen some work that is clearly too large to go into a conventional oven, and it is painted.. What is the purpose of a sculpt at that point? Are these portfolio pieces? Are they cured in pieces maybe? I'm just full of questions. sorry.. I'm working on some things for bronze casting, and I cannot figure out how an uncured piece is painted, and then.. then what? Anyone?
    Alan this is sick, been meaning to comment.I dont post on this site to much but I love this piece.And that goes with me not a huge fan of the terminator.

Adriela you probably will run into some major cracking without curing clay.Alot of sculptors use a pizza oven for large pieces.I have to cut some pieces to make stuff fit in my oven.I figure if i get good at cutting and curing pieces ,it will probably make me a better artist even is it may take away from that untouched look.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is absolutely T1 Arnold! Everything about it is just perfect! The textures, the likeness... I especially love the battle damage you give your terminators - it seems just more realistic than the movies (maybe due to the fact that they didn't have the CG to make Arnie's jaws to be seen under the torn tissue, at the time). Excellent work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Adriela View Post
    Hi Adriela, and thanks for the nice comments This piece just about fits in our oven with all the shelves removed. But for bigger pieces there are a number of solutions, one being a pizza oven as Zuckus77 mentioned. Another solution is to make an oven by creating a box out of plaster board with a hole in the bottom to take a heat gun, the drawback being that it's difficult to montior the temperature with this method, so care would have to be taken that the piece does not burn. Speaking of heat guns, if your sculpture is a means to an end... i.e. to make a mould and cast the finished item, the heat gun can be used to harden the sculpture enough to make a mould from it. Or you could harden it enough to cut the sculpture up and then fully cure it in a standard oven. No one would paint an uncured piece.

Al

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by zuckuss77 View Post
    Alan this is sick, been meaning to comment.I dont post on this site to much but I love this piece.And that goes with me not a huge fan of the terminator.
    Thanks for taking time to comment, zuchuss, I really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilivo View Post
    This is absolutely T1 Arnold! Everything about it is just perfect! The textures, the likeness... I especially love the battle damage you give your terminators - it seems just more realistic than the movies (maybe due to the fact that they didn't have the CG to make Arnie's jaws to be seen under the torn tissue, at the time). Excellent work!
    Yeah, the great thing about these pieces is that I can dig into the face rather than put it on the top as they had to in the movies. Thanks for the support

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alaneye, Thank you! I know supersculpey can even be semi-cured in boiling water, according to the late great doll maker Robert McKinley, but even he wasn't brave enough to try it. And I'm the world's biggest chicken where my artwork is concerned. Thanks for responding with such a detailed reply. I know you are busy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Adriela, you are welcome.... I had thought about the boiling method when I was drafting my reply, but it went out of my head. I know people have used it successfully, but personally I wouldn't trust it. By the way, I'm not a professional sculptor, I have no formal training and I work full time in IT support. I just do this in my spare time

Al

Last edited by Alaneye; August 30th, 2011 at 11:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is like to see you do a terminator with no skin. These are both good but I like the old one more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You mean the plain endoskeleton robot? I might do one eventually, but it is a difficult piece to sculpt in super sculpey.

Al

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not an artist so I don't know but ill take your word for it. I just think that would be impressive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really outstanding work! The likeness and attention to detail is incredible, these must take you forever to complete. Great job on the Predator sculpt also, I hadn't seen that one before. It's awesome that you have no formal training too, I majored in sculpture and have never done anything to the level of finish you have here, very impressive.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.